Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 1 UMC works with Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I know the answer but just in case..

Is the Gen1 UMC working with Model 3? I already have the Gen1 UMC from my Model X hooked up in the garage and since it can do 40A charging, I will be leaving it as-in unless for some reason the Model 3 can only work with the Gen 2 UMC.

TIA.

Sorry to resurrect, have a question. I am using the Gen 1 UMC with a 40A circuit and a 6-50 adapter in my Model 3, so I had to limit the current in the settings to 32A, otherwise it would try to pull the full 40A. This should work, right? My 40A breaker keeps tripping for some reason.

you need a 50 amp circuit to use the the UMC at 40A. Yes reducing it down to 32A should work no problem. From what I am told, you should always have headroom of extra 20% from your usage to your max circuit limit.

Sorry to resurrect, have a question. I am using the Gen 1 UMC with a 40A circuit and a 6-50 adapter in my Model 3, so I had to limit the current in the settings to 32A, otherwise it would try to pull the full 40A. This should work, right? My 40A breaker keeps tripping for some reason.
Yes, the 32A should be working fine on a 40A circuit like that. Perhaps one of the wire connections to the breaker is a bit loose, making it extra resistive and making some extra heat, which could be setting off the breaker?

you need a 50 amp circuit to use the the UMC at 40A. Yes reducing it down to 32A should work no problem. From what I am told, you should always have headroom of extra 20% from your usage to your max circuit limit.
Technically, the circuit and breaker have to be 125% of the continuous load. Doing the math the other way around, you can only have a continuous draw 80% of the circuit and breaker rating.

It is legal to use a 40A breaker with a 6-50 outlet, but if that is your setup, it is safer to use the Gen2 UMC that came with the Model 3 because it has a fixed limit of 32 amps, which is a perfect match for a 40 amp breaker. Sometimes after a software update Model S cars have reset the charging limit set in software, allowing them to pull the full 40 amps. The UMC adapters are coded to allowed ampacity of their plug, so the car cannot pull more than that. The Gen1 UMC 6-50 adapter is coded to 40 amps and the Gen2 UMC 6-50 adapter is coded to 32 amps.

If the wire is sized properly for a 50 amp circuit, the breaker could be swapped to 50 amps and the 32 vs. 40 amp debate would be obviated.

• Love
Reactions: eprosenx
He changed out the breaker Tuesday and so far it's been fine. Time will tell! @miimura thanks for the heads up on the charging rate - will keep an eye on it esp after software updates. The Gen 2 cord is a bit longer, so we like to keep that one in the trunk for travel purposes (also, Tesla is sold out of the 6-50 adapters for the Gen 2 UMC so we can't use it to charge the car right now).

Hi - I have my Gen 1 UMC from my Model X, plugged it into my new Model 3, and it does NOT work. It basically fails to latch/lock, and visually it seems like it's a milimeter or 2 from going in all the way. The Gen 2 UMC that came with my Model 3 goes in fine. I called Tesla and they said by design Gen 1 UMC won't work with Model 3 but the rep didn't sound like he was sure.
Can anyone else confirm ca. 2016 UMC works fine with Model 3?

Hi - I have my Gen 1 UMC from my Model X, plugged it into my new Model 3, and it does NOT work. It basically fails to latch/lock, and visually it seems like it's a milimeter or 2 from going in all the way. The Gen 2 UMC that came with my Model 3 goes in fine. I called Tesla and they said by design Gen 1 UMC won't work with Model 3 but the rep didn't sound like he was sure.
Can anyone else confirm ca. 2016 UMC works fine with Model 3?
Oh goodness. Add this to the piles of bull$#!t things Tesla employees have said. No, I have heard from plenty of people who already owned an S or X, and they can use the Gen 1 UMC to charge their Model 3s, so it's certainly not designed to not work.

There might be just a slight build defect in the plastic or something that is making it not fit.

Oh goodness. Add this to the piles of bull$#!t things Tesla employees have said. No, I have heard from plenty of people who already owned an S or X, and they can use the Gen 1 UMC to charge their Model 3s, so it's certainly not designed to not work.

There might be just a slight build defect in the plastic or something that is making it not fit.
^^^ What he said. Nothing should stop a UMC Gen 1 or UMC Gen 2 from working on any Tesla vehicle. This is the whole point of having a standard connector type (of corse it is a proprietary standard). Just like J1772 is also a standard and should work on all J1772 enabled vehicles..

Reactions: Rocky_H
He changed out the breaker Tuesday and so far it's been fine. Time will tell! @miimura thanks for the heads up on the charging rate - will keep an eye on it esp after software updates. The Gen 2 cord is a bit longer, so we like to keep that one in the trunk for travel purposes (also, Tesla is sold out of the 6-50 adapters for the Gen 2 UMC so we can't use it to charge the car right now).

Did he check the wire gauge? I take it the gauge is insufficient to have upgraded you to a 50a breaker?

This is kind of funny since in most cases in the M3 forum we are talking about the UMC Gen 2 exclusively which is only capable of 32a, so the 40a breaker / branch circuit issue is just not an issue (but we still recommend new installs run a wire of sufficient ampacity for 50a where possible for future purposes).

Did you happen to take note of just how much longer the Gen 2 cord is? We are using a Gen 1 UMC to charge both our S and 3, from the back wall of our two-car garage it is a wee bit short to comfortably reach the charging ports of both cars. Even if the Gen 2 is say a foot longer, could alleviate sometime re-maneuvering of one car by inches forward or to the side to plug in...

{Yes, I know I could pull out the Gen 2 that came with the 3, but it's still in the original bag and cleanly stowed just in case for road trips...)

I've been using a Gen 1 UMC in the form of a JESLA - which has the Tesla connector replaced with a J1772. Bought it for my Volt several years ago. It works fine with the Model 3 via the J1772 adapter at 40 amps.

The only weirdness is that I have to use the phone app to unlock the adapter from the car. After two weeks with the car, I've not quite figured out the magic incantations to do otherwise.

I've been using a Gen 1 UMC in the form of a JESLA - which has the Tesla connector replaced with a J1772. Bought it for my Volt several years ago. It works fine with the Model 3 via the J1772 adapter at 40 amps.

The only weirdness is that I have to use the phone app to unlock the adapter from the car. After two weeks with the car, I've not quite figured out the magic incantations to do otherwise.
When you push the J1772 button the port will unlock if the car is unlocked. Then let go of the button and pull out the adapter and J1772 handle together in one motion. The adapter can be removed from the J1772 handle after that, or just left attached.

Reactions: bahree and wws