Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 1 vs gen 2 charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I have a 2016 p90 with a gen 1 charger. I charge at home at 40 amp at 10 kw per hour. When I travel I typically just take that plug with me and have had no problems.

I am buying a new model x soon, and will sell the old car eventually. I wasn’t planning to purchase the new Tesla wall connector, and it seems the new car comes with a mobile connector however the nema 14-50 top charging rate is 32 amp if I understand right.

Is there any reason not to cintinue using the gen 1 connector for my new car given the faster rate? If it’s faster I would also thing to continue using it during trips instead of the mobile charger?

thanks

s there any reason not to cintinue using the gen 1 connector for my new car given the faster rate? If it’s faster I would also thing to continue using it during trips instead of the mobile charger?

u can use gen1 fine on new cars there were some safety features added to gen 2 for overheating if I recall ..I never have issues with my old gen 1 still working fine after seven years ;)