Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 1 Wall Charger (EU) loose connection in handle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My gen 1 Tesla Wall Charger has begun to develop a mind of its own according to my wife. However, it is very obvious that there is no AI gone rouge here or anything like that. We seem to have a loose connection in the handle. When we plug the wall charger in to the car, the car will ask us to check power of the charger and display a red charging cable in the app - and subsequently, not begin to charge.

First I did all the wall fuse checks, reset of wall charger, reset of the MCU etc, the wall charger illuminates green as it should, so all is good. Then I began to notice that if I wiggled the charging cable at the base of the handle it would register the charger and start to charge. It has now developed further, so that it may take some time finding the correct angle for the cable, but we will eventually find it.

It seems that there is a loose connection with the pilot signal.

Has anybody experienced this, and is it possible to fix? Or is the only fix to buy a new and replace?

The handle/cable is not repairable, as it's over-molded with some kind of epoxy. I've not checked if Tesla sells a replacement cable, but I don't think so.

A quick look on eBay didn't show up a Gen 1 cable, but several for Gen 2 and 3. Costs were similar to buying an entirely new unit!

I've had that happen with my Type1 handle. I replaced the entire cable and cord assembly. You're in the EU, so it would be a Type2 cable like this one:

There may well be cheaper alternatives, this was literally the first one I found while searching. It might be cheaper or more prudent to buy a whole new EVSE.

Also be aware (as that listing says) that a bog-standard Type2 cable would not have the circuit to automatically open the charge door when you press the button, So you'll likely want/need a Tesla specific one.

Last edited: