Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 1 wall charger randomly activates then deactivates after charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Batt Car

Executive, engineer, entrepreneur, author, dad.
Oct 1, 2018
West Chester PA
Have a MX2017 and have been using a Gen1 wall charger (80A circuit set to 72A output, charge at 64A to be extra safe). Yesterday charged the car to 80% as usual and the charger completed and deactivated (you hear the relay disconnect inside the charger). A couple hours later the relay clicked and the green light flashed red for a moment then disconnected and stayed green. Couple hours later did it again. Car was plugged in.

I disconnected the car, reset the charger, and switched the breaker off for a few minutes just for good measure. I have a circuit monitor and when the car is charging I can see it usually using 14k watts at 240. The 2 times it activated it used 1200-1700 watts for less than a minute.

I'll monitor it next time I charge but figure I would ask here in case anyone else had this experience. Manual has some trouble codes about ground fault so I'll look at that as well but it only just started yesterday.

Have same issue with 2018 X and Gen 2 Wall charger. Last time I checked, however, it was clicking on for maybe 30 seconds and then off for about 20 minutes before doing it all over again.

I do not have a regular schedule so I most often charge just before I leave. This means I am not using the timer to start the charge. To avoid these short unnecessary charging cycles, I have started pulling the charge point down to 50% for when the car just sits. With the charge point below the current battery level, I find the short charging cycles no longer happen. It certainly is a work around and it was not necessary until about 4 months ago.