Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 2 Charger - Adjust Operating Current

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Morning All,

Really enjoying my Model 3 and thank you to this forum for your assistance.

I believe electricians installing (Tesla Gen 2) chargers and not setting them up correctly is quite common. However, I find myself in a very difficult situation. The electrician has wired our Gen 2 charger into a three phase C32A and left the dial on its factory setting (1). He's also butchered the stainless steel retaining bolt and stripped the internal plastic thread. I'd complain but I've also had a go removing said bolt and so proving who did what whilst paying for a call out charge doesn't fill me with confidence that it would be resolved to my satisfaction.

I'm a hands on guy and know that anything I do to cut or grind out the bolt will damage the cover, it won't fit properly and it'll impede it's IP rating and potentially become a danger.

Therefore, I'm thinking if some kind soul (who can remove their Gen 2 cover) could give me some dimensions, I could drill a small hole to locate said dial and offer a screwdriver through and turn to ramp it up (obviously with power off) to 8. Then a rubber bung or sealant will retain its integrity.

Any advice appreciated and if someone could measure from the side to centre of dial and from the bottom to centre of dial that would be great.

Did you use the correct tool to remove the lower screw. It is a special security type head with a centre pin?
Drilling thru the outer cover and then the internal cover sounds dangerous and could go wrong! There is a ribbon cable attached to the inner cover that you might hit. Also the water seal is between the inner cover and the back of the unit and not the front cover so making a good seal to the inner cover might be difficult.

I think you best bet is to drill out the outer cover screw or probably slightly easier junior hacksaw a slot in it. Once out, you could replace it with a standard headed screw with a slightly larger thread??