Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 2 Cluster retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't realize until I read this that the IC was refreshed. I have to replace my gen 1 IC because of bubbles. Has anyone done an upgrade on a car with a gen 1 MCU? Possible?
Did you do the install of the new screen? I got the bubble issue in my IC too and am about to swap to a new one. Did you have to wait for a software update? If so did it work just fine?

IC = instrument cluster, the thing behind the steering wheel

MCUx, console = screen in the center of the car

The old IC had a puffy bright trim metal around it. Circa 2013.
Circa 2014 onward, the trim got thin. The LCD resolution of the IC got better.

I'm not aware of bubbles ever on IC, only on the center console.
Or yellowing edges, also a center console thing.

I'm not aware of any retro fit being offered by Tesla to put newer IC in place of old. Maybe as a used DIY thing, it's possible.

But I have heard promise of MCU2 retro replacing MCU1 as a Tesla Elon promise. Yet to materialize. And probably never. Maybe as a DIY somebody has done it.

Are we mixing issues in this thread?

Did someone sucess to make it ? I have one seconf hand IC and after redeploy seem to not work correct something more is needed . Car is Model S 2013 with GEN1 ic donor IC come from 2017 facelift Model S .

IC make some beep sound all the time when ignition is ON , no ODO on screen just ---- also message that car need update , when I put it on Drive all time play from N to D , not possible to control AC and other functions on CID . Till now I have try to make factory-redeploy - don't help after whole process all is successfully with no errors but IC make same things no change . After redeploy I see that my keys is inside IC also my gateway.cfg , also I have try and write whole /var and /home from my old IC to new one ... nothing helps

>when I put it on Drive all time play from N to D

What do you mean by this? it does not go into drive? or it does?

It sounds like Its not able to read any CAN messages, which means the fakra connection is either loose or bad, or that there is something funky going on in the CID.

When I plug new cluster and do reboot on CID I am not able to put car on drive but when I reset gateway I can put car on drive and car drive but on IC is displayed D then N then again D every second different value . Also I can SSH to IC without problem that mean Enet/HSD communication is good also blinkers work steering wheel controls also but cannot control correct MCU ( when I scroll to change temperature AC just go ON and OFF ) like something from cluster try to disable whole system also this loud annoying Beep sound that make me crazy after 1 minute in car

WAit until you have an update ready to install, and then install your Gen 2 cluster. Apply the update after your cluster install is done to make it work - the update will reprogram the cluster to work in your car as part of its normal processes.
Have you done this process? There's another thread where this was attempted but it did not reprogram the IC.

When update come from mothership and before update the new IC gen2 cluster is installed on car then update is started all works after , tested .
Hey, checking back in and confirming what you did:

You had a Gen 1 IC, waited for an update to be released then installed the whole Gen 2 assembly, then installed the update and that "synced" everything up?