Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 2 Mobile Connector and 14-50 adaptor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m using mobile connector and 14-50 adapter for my daily home charging. Works great. I’d lika a second connector /adaptor set for insurance purpose when traveling but both have been out of stock in Tesla store fore quite a while. I can buy on ebay at a premium price, but would rather buy charging items direct from Tesla. Any idea about when these items will be back in stock? I’ve provided my enail address to be notified. Seems like high demand their productin constraints are hitting a lot of items. Thanks.

In hindsight you could have installed the Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector ($495) and then you would not need to purchase a second Tesla Mobile Connector ($275) for use when traveling.

The cost difference between installing the NEMA 14-50 receptacle, GFCI circuit breaker, Tesla14-50 plug adapter, 3-conductor wire, cable organizer (approx. $300) and instead installing the Wall Connector is right around $200.

When you add in the cost of a second Mobile Connector ($275) the effective cost of installing the Gen3 Wall Connector is less than the NEMA 14-50 receptacle route. I have a NEMA 14-50 receptacle but if I was installing a 40A/50A/60A 240V circuit to charge my Tesla Model Y today I would install the Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector.

In hindsight you could have installed the Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector ($495) and then you would not need to purchase a second Tesla Mobile Connector ($275) for use when traveling.

The cost difference between installing the NEMA 14-50 receptacle, GFCI circuit breaker, Tesla14-50 plug adapter, 3-conductor wire, cable organizer (approx. $300) and instead installing the Wall Connector is right around $200.

When you add in the cost of a second Mobile Connector ($275) the effective cost of installing the Gen3 Wall Connector is less than the NEMA 14-50 receptacle route. I have a NEMA 14-50 receptacle but if I was installing a 40A/50A/60A 240V circuit to charge my Tesla Model Y today I would install the Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector.
Yes, you are correct. But given that’s not what I did, the economics of installing a wall connector now are not compelling. The electrical to hardwire wall connector would need to be relocated as the current 14-50 outlet is situated in an area where there is not enough room to mount wall connector.

By the way, I installed my NEMA 14-50 outlet set up and 50 amp breaker in mid 2018 as I was updating my electrical for a major kitchen remodel. At the time I didn’t have an EV and was actually hoping Audi, BMW, or Mercedes would have a compelling alternative to Tesla and there would be a built out non Tesla supercharging infrastructure. I did the 14-50 approach as that seemed to be the most flexible, at the time. That didn’t happen, and the Tesla Y (which didn’t exist in 2018) checked all the boxes. I am very happy with my Y.

Probably don’t need the extra mobile connector and 14-50 adapter since supercharging, Tesla L2 destination chargers, and L2 non Tesla chargers with my j1772 to Tesla adapter are probably all I need for traveling in California, where is where lion’s share of car trips will be. If the mobile connector and 14-50 adapter ever are back in stock, I’ll buy. No need to pay eBay premiums.

Reactions: 804son and Prodock
What "insurance" are you expecting? There are going to be far more superchargers in the wild than the random NEMA 14-50 outlet you can plug your car into for "emergencies." 6 years of Tesla ownership and 150k+ EV miles i've never been on the road and thought "gee i wish i had my mobile connector"

What "insurance" are you expecting? There are going to be far more superchargers in the wild than the random NEMA 14-50 outlet you can plug your car into for "emergencies." 6 years of Tesla ownership and 150k+ EV miles i've never been on the road and thought "gee i wish i had my mobile connector"
One scenario where the Mobile Connector and specific plug adapters would be useful to bring on trip is if you know that when you arrive at your destination that there will be an available receptacle that enables you to charge your vehicle. Could be 120V or 240V. Another scenario would be if you stay at a campground that has available 120V power, maybe even RV parking spaces with NEMA 14-50. Then the Mobile Connector with any of NEMA 5-15, TT-30 or 14-50 power plug adapters could be used.

Last edited:
One scenario where the Mobile Connector and specific plug adapters would be useful to bring on trip is if you know that when you arrive at your destination that there will be an available receptacle that enables you to charge your vehicle. Could be 120V or 240V. Another scenario would be if you stay at a campground that has available 120V power, maybe even RV parking spaces with NEMA 14-50. Then the Mobile Connector with any of NEMA 5-15, TT-30 or 14-50 power plug adapters could be used.
I’m not likely to stay at campgrounds and my likely destinations are Marriott hotels/ timeshares so having access to 14-50 receptacle not important in this use case. But you do have valid point which would make the spare mobile connector/14-50 adapter useful.

When traveling and visiting people who live in a single family house, a 30 amp dryer receptacle is much more commonly available than a 40 or 50 amp receptacle, which most houses have if they have a range, but to access a NEMA 6-50 or 14-50 range receptacle usually requires pulling the range out from the wall, and if they have a cooktop instead of a range, such installations are usually hard wired. And very few houses have such 50 amp receptacles in the garage unless the homeowner does welding or has an RV.

So for my travels I purchased a Tesla 10-30 Gen 2 NEMA adapter and a short 14-30P to 10-30R adapter cable. That way, I can plug into either the old 3-prong or newer 4-prong dryer outlets when visiting friends. I have used this setup several times since I have had my Model X and always with good results. I always offer to reimburse the cost of the electricity I use, but the friends I visit are fine with charging my car and are usually surprised when I tell them how little the cost is compared with filling up a gas car.
I don't go to campgrounds, but if you do, a Tesla 14-50 NEMA adapter would be a good idea to have along with you.

I also purchased a 50 foot long 10 g cable with a NEMA 10-30R and a NEMA 10-30P end on it, and a bag to store it in the Frunk, which I have found is usually necessary to be able to reach the dryer outlet from where I park the car.

I always have this stuff in the Frunk. At home I use a Tesla Wall connector connected to a 60 amp breaker.

IMG_1151.JPG

I've taken my mobile connector on every major trip just as stated by the OP for "insurance" purposes. I haven't ever used it on a trip LOL, but it's there just in case. Meaning I only unplug it once or twice a year for a road trip. no biggie, it's on my list of things to pack for a trip. I don't think I see the value in purchasing a second mobile charger just to keep in the car and probably never use.

Reactions: Eric33432
Super chargers are so prevalent nowadays I don’t see why you’d carry around a level 2 chargers for…
Because it is much less expensive to charge at a friend's house, than go to a supercharger. Actually it is free (to me) since my friends always refuse reimbursement. And more convenient if staying overnight as it will avoid a stop at a supercharger. Since I have a Tesla Wall Connector, it is always in Red Ryder's Frunk.

Reactions: MDElectric
Because it is much less expensive to charge at a friend's house, than go to a supercharger. Actually it is free (to me) since my friends always refuse reimbursement. And more convenient if staying overnight as it will avoid a stop at a supercharger. Since I have a Tesla Wall Connector, it is always in Red Ryder's Frunk.
So 3 dollars instead of 13? Meh, doesn’t move the needle for me.

I was just trying to point out that a 50 amp receptacle in a normal house is not that common right now unless they have a need for that (such as a home workshop where they do welding, an RV hookup, have an EV, etc).

Really it is more about convenience if you travel to visit friends at their houses. (If you can afford a Tesla cost to charge it should not be a big issue!)