Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 2 mobile connector limited at 8 amps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Borrowed a brand new Tesla Mobile connector (gen 2) from a M3 owner, but cannot get it to charge my MX with more than 8 amps. Tesla tried a software update while charging which should have solved the issue, but it did not help. Any thoughts?

The screen shows 8/8A and does not let me choose a higher max value, even though I set it to higher before I plug the cable in the car. Using the standard Schuko-plug, I think it is the equivalent to NEMA 14-50 in the US.

The max amps is set by the plug adapter you installed in your UMC. A Schuko is rated for a maximum of 16A, but Tesla derates to 80% of the plug rating for safety (as required in many countries). So a Schuko will normally top out around 13A, not the 32A of a USA 14-50. So that 8A is not far off from the max it should select. Try looking up the Tesla specs on the exact plug adapter you are using: that is most likely what is happening.

Also, what voltage is the plug displaying on your Tesla screen? Tesla further degrades the current if the voltage is low.

The max amps is set by the plug adapter you installed in your UMC. A Schuko is rated for a maximum of 16A, but Tesla derates to 80% of the plug rating for safety (as required in many countries). So a Schuko will normally top out around 13A, not the 32A of a USA 14-50. So that 8A is not far off from the max it should select. Try looking up the Tesla specs on the exact plug adapter you are using: that is most likely what is happening.

Also, what voltage is the plug displaying on your Tesla screen? Tesla further degrades the current if the voltage is low.

You are surely right about these things, but the thing is that my original Mobile connector (gen 1) charges at 13 A at exactly the same outlets where this gen 2 MC only gives 8 A...

I had now the same problem - UMC_a013 + UMC_a014 + UMC_a015. And it were just incompletely plugged the two parts of the mobile connector together. It may look like plugged in but it is not yet (or sure your one is really a defective one...).
8a.jpeg

You are surely right about these things, but the thing is that my original Mobile connector (gen 1) charges at 13 A at exactly the same outlets where this gen 2 MC only gives 8 A...
Since you thought the connector was 14-50 equivalent, I wonder how many kW you get at 8 A. The Gen 1 will do up to 40A (10kW) on a 14-50, but the Gen 2 is limited to 32A (less kW) on the same connector. The cables are thinner on the Gen 2, so it isn't rated for as much power. I'm not sure if the kW can be compared against the ratings here, bu if it can, this might be a design difference in Gen 1 vs Gen 2. I'm not especially confident in this speculation, though, because the mathematical % difference in 8 vs 13 seems far greater than in 32 vs 40.