Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 2 UMC temperature signaling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know how the UMC communicates the various associated temperature sensors' outputs to the car?

Back story: A rat enjoyed a meal courtesy of my UMC's cable a while ago. One of the signal wires was severed and another the wire exposed. The two high current wires were fine. I spliced in a new section of wire and then wrapped elctrical tape around the exposed wire on each. Since then I often, but not always, get a reduced charge rate after a considerable time. I have a 50 amp breaker on a 60 amp wired dedicated circuit, using a NEMA 14-50 wall plug and adapter. The charge starts at the normal 32 A, but then after a few hours will drop to 16 A and I get a message in the car saying the wall plug temperature was too high. The plug shows no evidence of overheating and is only warm by the time I arrive. This happens irregardless of ambient temp (I'm in So Cal). I have borrowed a neighbors UMC and it works fine from this outlet, and I have another identical outlet setup in my garage and get the same result from it.

I am thinking the resitance / impedence on the wire I spliced is now different than a straight connection due to the two solder joints and the short section of different wire. I guess this might be enough to change the signal through the wire just enough to result in this interpretation of exessive temperature by the car; i.e. a pwm signal that is affected just enouigh to cause the problem.

Are there any experts out there that know exaclty how either the control signal wire or proximity signal wire might transmit temperature signals to the car? Other suggestions as to cause?

I don't know exactly what implementation is being used by Tesla, but from my perspective and from what I've read here, the easiest way to measure the temperature at the plug would be to use a thermistor. Resistance will vary directly with temperature. Can be a PTC (positive temperature coefficient - increase in temperature results in increase of resistance) or NTC (negative, or increased temperature means decrease in resistance). Typical ambient (25° C) resistances are between 1Kohms and 10Kohms.

I suspect that you would have to have a very badly soldered joint/s for it/them to affect a thermistor. And then, the thermistor would have to be one that has a very low natural resistance for a relatively small additional resistance (the bad solder joint or wire) to affect it. My guess is that there is another break in the wire that has gone unnoticed.