Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 2 vs Gen 3 HPWC Power Wall Coordination

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

joefee

May 29, 2011
WA
With the latest OTA update your car can now talk to your Powerwall. Gen 3 HPWC also has WiFi. What do you give up by having Gen 2 vs Gen 3? Any plans/rumors to retrofit Gen 1-2 HPWCs for wifi?

I don’t have a gen3 HWPC, but I did look into it briefly and as near as I can tell, right now the WiFi connection is only used to configure the HWPC.

The powerwall/car charging integration doesn’t have anything to do with the gen3 HWPC and will work with a car plugged into any HWPC or even with the mobile charger plugged into a regular outlet.

With the latest OTA update your car can now talk to your Powerwall. Gen 3 HPWC also has WiFi. What do you give up by having Gen 2 vs Gen 3? Any plans/rumors to retrofit Gen 1-2 HPWCs for wifi?

You give up the ability to configure it by wifi (gen 3 has that, gen 2 doesnt) what you GAIN by having gen 2 over gen 3:

Longer cord
Power sharing between HPWCs (gen 3 still doesnt have this, its supposed to be "coming soon")
Faster maximum charging speeds on gen 2 vs gen 3 (although new teslas cap out at the speed of gen 3 wall connecters, which is 60 amp circuit 48 amp charging at the car, older tesla's dont, and gen 3 only goes the above speed).

There really isnt anything better in Gen3 than Gen 2, except the ability to set the charging speed by wifi vs a dial in gen 2, and even the wifi is reported buggy by many here. I would buy a gen 2 in a heartbeat over a gen3 at this particular point.

As @BrettS said, having a gen 3 wall charger has nothing to do with this sharing feature.

I don’t have a gen3 HWPC, but I did look into it briefly and as near as I can tell, right now the WiFi connection is only used to configure the HWPC.

The powerwall/car charging integration doesn’t have anything to do with the gen3 HWPC and will work with a car plugged into any HWPC or even with the mobile charger plugged into a regular outlet.
I just heard from Tesla re this and you are correct. They said it was the same functionality as of today. There could be other features not used today that an OTA HPWC Gen 3 update may turn on but these would be more for power sharing and commercial uses. EG. they did not see any feature that would move energy from the car to the powerwall. Gen1-2 HPWCs provide more power but only for older cars, the new cars only need 60 amps max.