Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 2 Wall Charger Now Only Goes to 16 Amps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are there any nearby transmitters (ham, cb) in your neighborhood?

Strong, nearby transmitters can cause radio frequency interference (RFI) in computer circuits - and drive them nuts. And it will be random - only when that transmitter is being operated on a particular frequency.

Not that I know of. The charger has worked flawlessly for the last year until the last week or so.

Just had a conversation with Tesla service. The issue is a software one. The car is currently more sensitive to voltage fluctuations and is effecting cars in areas with "dirty" electricity. They were able to check our home location and confirmed it falls into that category. They are working on a firmware fix. The technician was pushing out 2020.36.11 to both the MY and M3 but wasn't sure if the fix had yet been placed in those updates.

It makes sense and is what we had concluded since the mobile chargers didn't work either and didn't work at a neighbors (all on the same grid). The cars charged at a tesla site (cleaner electricity since they are on a commercial line).

Hope that helps!

It's also only effecting M3 & MY since they use the same charging platform

Last edited:
Just had a conversation with Tesla service. The issue is a software one. The car is currently more sensitive to voltage fluctuations and is effecting cars in areas with "dirty" electricity. They were able to check our home location and confirmed it falls into that category. They are working on a firmware fix. The technician was pushing out 2020.36.11 to both the MY and M3 but wasn't sure if the fix had yet been placed in those updates.

It makes sense and is what we had concluded since the mobile chargers didn't work either and didn't work at a neighbors (all on the same grid). The cars charged at a tesla site (cleaner electricity since they are on a commercial line).

Hope that helps!

It's also only effecting M3 & MY since they use the same charging platform

That's really good info to have. Thanks for the follow up. It figures that's what it is. Hopefully they push out an update soon.

Let's compare two charge sessions on a Gen 2 wall charger. Both start at 57% and end at 90%. But one charges at 48 amps the whole time and take 2:10, while the other averages 22.7A, and takes 4:39

Hoping this is resolved with software.

This is what I consider a "Normal" charging session.
Screen Shot 2020-09-27 at 6.18.30 PM.png

Here's a typical charging session more recently.
Screen Shot 2020-09-27 at 6.20.53 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: CoachK and Rocky_H
Mine just started having the same issue. I’ve been using the mobile charger since Dec of 2019 and it’s worked fine. 32amps, now it’s dropped to 16amps. Haven’t had time to trouble shoot, just started last week and I noticed again last night.

Mine just started having the same issue. I’ve been using the mobile charger since Dec of 2019 and it’s worked fine. 32amps, now it’s dropped to 16amps. Haven’t had time to trouble shoot, just started last week and I noticed again last night.
At work, we have 4 tesla wall chargers. Two with tesla plugs, 2 that have been swapped out to J1772s so other EVs can charge. They were installed about 3 yrs ago. About a month ago, all 4 will either not charge any of our Teslas (multiple Teslas of various models and years) either on the Tesla specific chargers or with a J1772 adaptor on the others. Now they are charging to 16 amps as described in this thread. The J1772s have no trouble charging other EVs at higher amps. reset, turned on and off power, etc etc. Electricians are scratching their heads. All the teslas work fine charging at home or other destination chargers elsewhere.

At work, we have 4 tesla wall chargers. Two with tesla plugs, 2 that have been swapped out to J1772s so other EVs can charge. They were installed about 3 yrs ago. About a month ago, all 4 will either not charge any of our Teslas (multiple Teslas of various models and years) either on the Tesla specific chargers or with a J1772 adaptor on the others. Now they are charging to 16 amps as described in this thread. The J1772s have no trouble charging other EVs at higher amps. reset, turned on and off power, etc etc. Electricians are scratching their heads. All the teslas work fine charging at home or other destination chargers elsewhere.
They should try to get Tesla charging support involved. See if they can get anything from a car while it’s charging.