Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 2 Wall Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have Gen 2 Wall Charger connected to a 60amp breaker with 6 or 4 gauge cable. It is capable of 48 amps on a 60 amp circuit. The charger is next to the breaker panel and the cable length is less than 8 feet.

It gets to 47 amps only.

Any ideas what could be the reason?

It gets to 47 amps only.

Any ideas what could be the reason?
Yes, I do have an idea and have seen cases just like this before. It's probably because of your voltage being too high. I don't see you listing your voltage anywhere. The onboard charger in the car has two kinds of limits, and it can hit either. It can be by amps, or by total power in kilowatts. We used to see this sometimes on the older cars that had a 40A onboard charger. But it was also capped at 10kW. Well, exactly 240V at 40A is 9.6kW, and if the source is running really high on voltage, that could be it a little over 10kW, and it would not allow that, so it would back off the charging a little bit to 39A instead of 40A to keep under the power limit.

I think the same may be going on there. Your onboard charger may back off to 47A if it's bumping up against the power limit because of high voltage.