Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3: "A strong family resemblance [to the Model S]"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drew this a few days ago for fun. . . not taking any "fact" into consideration. But I think it is worth sharing. I hope the cut and belt lines on the Model S make it to Gen3, but I think the front needs to be a little more aggressive IMO.

teslasketchla.jpg

I drew this a few days ago for fun. . . not taking any "fact" into consideration. But I think it is worth sharing. I hope the cut and belt lines on the Model S make it to Gen3, but I think the front needs to be a little more aggressive IMO.

View attachment 23654

I love it. Well done.

I recently saw the back of a Chrysler 200 and thought that was the size and rough shape that Tesla should be shooting for. Of course it would need to be a "Tesla" car but there are similarities.

View attachment 23654

As would be expected, I think this is great! I'm sure that some will say it is too Fiskery, but I think you have found a nice combination of Tesla elements and some more aggressive styling, with curves, a shorter front and rear, and without the wedge shape. FWIW, I think one could do a Theophilus version of your drawing it would look great, too.

Bravo!

Bigger design question for Gen III, 2 door or 4 door? I vote for 4 door sedan. The only reason we are not seeing a prototype right now is that Tesla does not want to steal the thunder from the Model X debut. If I'm right, we might not see a Gen III prototype until 2015.

Gator8 has the right idea as far as I'm concerned, though I'd like to see a smoother more aero transition from the hood to the windshield. Maybe a smaller "grill" area as well since it's just an outdated styling cue from the days of large ICE cooling needs. I really hope they do more than just a smaller S.

Looks Good. It has a nice flow and smooth curves, unlike some of the "box" type vehicles.
It will basically have to be compromise between utility and looks. "Box" type = higher utility because of better cargo space and good headroom at the back. S could get both utility and smooth flow since it is such a large car. GatorEight's idea, for eg., probably results in impractically low head room.

Artist calls this a Chop (of the S) but it's worth showing here.

http://svennardten-design.deviantart.com/art/Tesla-137048715

Anyone want to point out the pipes to him?
To play devil's advocate, it is a visual aesthetic expected by a mainstream buyer. Next, stick a charging port in there to keep them from being pointless (and reduce complexity by eliminating the charger door). Finally, figure a dual-pipe/charge port configuration is available, and suddenly you can pump a ton of current at once should you reach a supercharger with two adjacent spaces open. Hello 5-minute recharging times.

If Gen 3 is going to be the mass market "everyman" car, then it is unlikely to look even half as cool as those renders!

They could probably get the car down to C-Class or 3-series dimensions by moving some of the battery up into the frunk, but unlikely to get down to rival true everyman cars (Focus or Golf) without losing range.

Personally I doubt that Tesla will move to a new battery chemistry until it has been proven elsewhere.

If Gen 3 is going to be the mass market "everyman" car, then it is unlikely to look even half as cool as those renders!

They could probably get the car down to C-Class or 3-series dimensions by moving some of the battery up into the frunk, but unlikely to get down to rival true everyman cars (Focus or Golf) without losing range.

Personally I doubt that Tesla will move to a new battery chemistry until it has been proven elsewhere.

C Class, A4 and 3 Series are the targeted market. Not Ford and VW.