Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 charger charging at 6A?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Gen 3 charger has been fine for months at 48A, then when other started experiencing red light issues and cutting to 24A last month, I had the same issue. I called Tesla, they said they were sending a new unit (which I haven’t received), but charging at 24A wasn’t a big deal, still left with a full charge the next morning.

Friday afternoon, I started only getting 6A? Nothing wrong with the breaker or wiring. Charger still shows green like normal. I’m going to call Tesla tomorrow when they open but wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Picture of the app attached.

Attachments

• 7CED1689-E38F-4E2C-B6A2-FD59BDBB3051.jpeg
    7CED1689-E38F-4E2C-B6A2-FD59BDBB3051.jpeg
    121 KB · Views: 224
Sorry to hear that @tpduke112, unfortunately it's a known issue.

We are trying to determine what's wrong with some Gen3's in this thread, as Tesla has just limit themselves to sending firmware updates and replacing units, but no actual communication regarding the issue.

I encourage you to add your experience to the other thread, so that we can centralize (as much as possible) each Gen3 situation. Does your glass faceplate get warm or hot to the touch? Did the handle used to get hot after 48amp charging sessions? Is your Gen3 connected to Wifi? Did you use 4 or 6 AWG wiring during install?