Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Charger - goes to 17KW then back to 0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is likely a loose connection somewhere on the circuit that was installed for your charger. The charger is sensing the voltage drop due to the poor connections and lowering the charge current. You need to call an electrician.

Reactions: interfx
Mine started doing the same thing. I powered the car off using the button on the screen, waited five minutes without touching any buttons, woke the car back up, and it's back to 48 amps.

Some say that there is an issue with "overheating" that is fixed by a firmware update. Connect to your device via Wifi and see if you need to do anything to download the latest firmware.

I don't have one myself, so don't know how the updates work. I think that they would be automatic, but best to check that it is connected to Wifi and look around for updates.

Even if it auto-updates, Wifi could be disconnected.

Some say that there is an issue with "overheating" that is fixed by a firmware update. Connect to your device via Wifi and see if you need to do anything to download the latest firmware.

I don't have one myself, so don't know how the updates work. I think that they would be automatic, but best to check that it is connected to Wifi and look around for updates.

Even if it auto-updates, Wifi could be disconnected.

I'm having this same issue of ramping to 16/17A then back to zero and repeating. Also getting three red blinks high temperature detected every night since 7/6 after about an hour of charging at 48A. At that time, it drops to 24A half speed with overheating red blinks. Had Tesla pull charging logs to determine the cause. Before I called, I pulled the faceplate off and made sure all three wires were properly tight and touching the contacts. I've had multiple firmware updates since and it's showing 0.8.58 on the wizard but the home charging rep said we are now up to 8.1? Hoping to hear from them today on what the logs are showing. One user on FB with a M3 reported having to have the PCS power conversion system replaced in the car. They've had multiple reports the past couple weeks of this "overheating" issue on the Gen 3 WC.

I'm having this same issue of ramping to 16/17A then back to zero and repeating. Also getting three red blinks high temperature detected every night since 7/6 after about an hour of charging at 48A. At that time, it drops to 24A half speed with overheating red blinks. Had Tesla pull charging logs to determine the cause. Before I called, I pulled the faceplate off and made sure all three wires were properly tight and touching the contacts. I've had multiple firmware updates since and it's showing 0.8.58 on the wizard but the home charging rep said we are now up to 8.1? Hoping to hear from them today on what the logs are showing. One user on FB with a M3 reported having to have the PCS power conversion system replaced in the car. They've had multiple reports the past couple weeks of this "overheating" issue on the Gen 3 WC.

Did you try rebooting the car? Worked for me.

I ended up re-booting my car - and working fine now... Does the Gen3 home charger automatically upgrade the firmware? or do you have to manually update? Don't want to have to call the customer service number each time...

Thanks all!

Firmware is supposed to be automatically updated as long as it's connected to the internet. I've gotten new firmware but still having the issue. 0.8.58

Firmware is supposed to be automatically updated as long as it's connected to the internet. I've gotten new firmware but still having the issue. 0.8.58
I'm still having issues, but at least it's charging. I haven't had it stop with the red blinking, but it's currently dropped to 24A and charging at 6 kW. Very frustrating... second guessing my choice paying Tesla for this piece of junk.

I had the 0-17 amp thing again tonight. Rebooted the car and it was back to 48 amps. I hope this isn't a regular thing.

BTW, how do you tell what firmware the HPWC is running?
If you connect it to the WiFi and scan the QR code, or go into 192.168.92.1 you should see it on the bottom, Firmware Version (this is an older screenshot)

Attachments

• tesla_hpwc_001.jpg
    tesla_hpwc_001.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 88
You won't be able to see it on your WiFi network. You need to press and hold the button on the handle until the wifi on the WC kicks in. You'll hear it and see it when all the lights go solid green. Then connect a device to the WC wifi and set a browser to the above address. You should get the above screen in the attachment, and it probably wouldn't hurt to run the setup wizard again and ensure everything has taken.

Good luck!

• Informative
Reactions: MY-Y
My HPWC is commissioned but it drops off the Wi-Fi. It seems like the only way for me to view the web portal is I have to power cycle the charger. Is it normal for your charger to stop replying to ping or have its web portal not accessible all the time?

My charger is exhibiting the same affects others are having on here where it’ll initially charge at 48 A but then it’ll drop down to 24 A and I’ll have the top light on the charger blinking red. Definitely seems like an overheating issue as my garage is pretty hot but when I open up the garage doors to let it breathe it seems like it runs at full speed again.