Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Charger Power Sharing - who has this working?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd like to understand who out there has at least two Gen 3 Wall Chargers set-up for power sharing and actually has this currently working.

I've been looking to get a second Gen 3 charger installed for a second EV purchase and have been exchanging with a local authorized Tesla installer who tells me that power / load sharing firmware release has been problematic and is recommending putting two 30 amp breakers in a breaker box between the 60 amp line running from the panel and the wall chargers, so each charger would be capped at 30 amps: not what I'm looking for.

I've reached out to Tesla to understand if the load sharing set-up is working with the Gen 3 connectors and have gotten radio silence back.

Anyone out there who has that set-up currently working since the firmware update supporting this was released? Any issues since then? Anyone tried this set-up and hasn't been successful so far?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences!

The only thing I remember seeing about this topic here (or the most recent thing anyway) is here:

Tesla also has it on their website now:

Not sure either of those help but thats all I am aware of.

Reactions: peppyYUL
The only thing I remember seeing about this topic here (or the most recent thing anyway) is here:

Tesla also has it on their website now:

Not sure either of those help but thats all I am aware of.
Thanks for the pointers.

Was looking to see if there was anyone that had this working in their set-up as the Tesla-authorize electrician that I'm dealing with is saying that it's not working and is recommending against that the power setting set-up mentioned on their website and in the manual.

Thanks for the pointers.

Was looking to see if there was anyone that had this working in their set-up as the Tesla-authorize electrician that I'm dealing with is saying that it's not working and is recommending against that the power setting set-up mentioned on their website and in the manual.

That first thread I linked to, I think its 2 pages and on the 2nd page a few people say that they have it working. You might consider either posting in that thread to ask, or PM ing a couple of the people in there that say that they set it up, etc.

Note that your electrician is partly correct. Each Gen3 is supposed to have its own line and breaker. Those breakers can be in a subpanel or a main panel(or even one in each!) , but the point is, you aren't supposed to just hang two Gen3's off the same breaker. The Gen2's were allowed to share a breaker and line.

I understand sharing is working fine, and you should have two 60 amp breakers in that 60 amp subpanel to potentially feed 48 amps continuously to either of the HPWCs.

I’d say go for it!

Youre eventually going to want it to work, so you will want it wired for 60a to each one anyway. If you see problems, pop out the 60a breakers and put in 30a and reconfigure.
Even better, wire/breaker them each for 60 and if you find sharing not to be working, just tweak the configs on the HWPCs to not do sharing and use only 30(really 24) amps. No hardware changes at all.

Last edited:
Note that your electrician is partly correct. Each Gen3 is supposed to have its own line and breaker. Those breakers can be in a subpanel or a main panel(or even one in each!) , but the point is, you aren't supposed to just hang two Gen3's off the same breaker. The Gen2's were allowed to share a breaker and line.

I understand sharing is working fine, and you should have two 60 amp breakers in that 60 amp subpanel to potentially feed 48 amps continuously to either of the HPWCs.
I know this is old, but I wanted to revisit this topic again as there are a lot of miss informations about each wall connector supposed to have its own circuit breaker.

Here in the Wall Connector guide it says the following:

Power sharing is ideal for households that need to charge more than one Tesla at the same time, but may not have enough power for multiple electrical circuits. This functionality allows up to four Wall Connectors to share power from one circuit while still allowing your vehicles to receive a sufficient charge.

I have had Power Sharing working with two gen 3 Wall Connectors connected to one 60amp breaker.

Each Wall Connector is setup to its maximum allowable amp (60 amps for 48amps continuous)

When both cars are connected which ever car has the lowest charge requests more energy. Both Wall Connectors never exceed the maximum supply amp (in my case 48 amps between the two).

As soon as one car is fully charge, the other car gets all 48amps assigned.

Attachments

• 3CB711A0-B428-48FE-BA68-917E6D3A1D91.png
    3CB711A0-B428-48FE-BA68-917E6D3A1D91.png
    260.5 KB · Views: 853
  • F59FBD9E-3E4A-4477-ADB3-7FC5D3856D0F.png
    F59FBD9E-3E4A-4477-ADB3-7FC5D3856D0F.png
    349.7 KB · Views: 382
  • A13DFCF7-E018-401A-8E72-391B211B6C6F.jpeg
    A13DFCF7-E018-401A-8E72-391B211B6C6F.jpeg
    119.1 KB · Views: 439
I know this is old, but I wanted to revisit this topic again as there are a lot of miss informations about each wall connector supposed to have its own circuit breaker.

Power sharing is ideal for households that need to charge more than one Tesla at the same time, but may not have enough power for multiple electrical circuits. This functionality allows up to four Wall Connectors to share power from one circuit while still allowing your vehicles to receive a sufficient charge.

I have had Power Sharing working with two gen 3 Wall Connectors connected to one 60amp breaker.

Each Wall Connector is setup to its maximum allowable amp (60 amps for 48amps continuous)

When both cars are connected which ever car has the lowest charge requests more energy. Both Wall Connectors never exceed the maximum supply amp (in my case 48 amps between the two).

While what you have done works, the Gen3 manual specifically shows that each Wall Connector should have its own breaker. The Gen2 installation manual stated that you could do it either way - each with its own breaker or supplying multiple units from one breaker.

Image below is from the Gen3 manual.

TWC_Gen3 breakers.jpg

Excellent and great to hear that power sharing is working. Thanks a lot for sharing the details and for the screenshots. Very helpful.

While what you have done works, the Gen3 manual specifically shows that each Wall Connector should have its own breaker. The Gen2 installation manual stated that you could do it either way - each with its own breaker or supplying multiple units from one breaker.

Image below is from the Gen3 manual.

View attachment 719616
Right. My local Tesla-authorized electrician is recommending that breakers be put on the branch circuits just to be safe. Of course, as is the case with any electrical work, check with your local codes to understand what is permitted. The electrician will know one way or another. For the record, the electrician that I'm dealing with did not object to not having the breakers there but recommended they be installed regardless.

I understand that power sharing between two or more wall connectors are supposed to have their own dedicated line But my question is has anyone here successfully power shared using one dedicated 60 amp line? We have a 60 amp line that we want to splice and branch off to two separate wall connector tors . I don’t see why this wouldn’t work as it did with the older generation model wall connectors .

If you do that and in a sub panel and have each be 30 amps that would be ok, is my understanding. I doubt that is what you are talking about though, and if you do the above you are directly contradicting what the install instructions are... but you know that already.

If you do that and in a sub panel and have each be 30 amps that would be ok, is my understanding. I doubt that is what you are talking about though, and if you do the above you are directly contradicting what the install instructions are... but you know that already.
Yes I understand that it’s not in instructions but I’m sure the software would allow this to work 🤷‍♂️

Yes I understand that it’s not in instructions but I’m sure the software would allow this to work 🤷‍♂️
I'm sure it works fine. I think the instructions were probably changed for two reasons...

A) Tesla doesn't trust anyone to make a decent 60 amp splice. Shouldn't be hard, but a failure would be >bad<.
B) Gen3's sharing allows for different max current on each individual HPWC.

I understand that power sharing between two or more wall connectors are supposed to have their own dedicated line
No, that's not true. Or at least, I think you have been confused by people's use of terminology. It is fully allowed and described in the installation manual that you can do the vast majority of the distance of the wire run on one single line. But then you do need to split the end of it to the two wall connectors. So no, they do not have to be fully dedicated separate lines ALLLL the way back to the main panel. The difference is just that you are not allowed to directly wire bond to make the final split. You have to use a box and separate breakers at some point.

But my question is has anyone here successfully power shared using one dedicated 60 amp line? We have a 60 amp line that we want to splice and branch off to two separate wall connector tors . I don’t see why this wouldn’t work as it did with the older generation model wall connectors .
Yes, that's how you do it. You run one single 60A rated line most of the way to a subpanel. Then in there, you divide it with two 60A breakers and run two lines out to the two wall connectors. The power sharing software in the wall connectors can be set so that they shift up and down but never exceed the allowed total for the 60A main line.

I just setup power sharing via subpanel and seems to be working okay. Noticed the following behavior and just wanted to see if others are seeing the same thing. Overall it appears to be working, but not quite the behavior I was expecting.
  • Wifi to home network is only on the master wall connector. The other one shows connected to my network, but doesn't have a local IP or shows up on my client list.
  • When both chargers are connected, even if only one is charging it defaults to 24A. Then it slowly ramps up the amps on the car that is charging. If just one charger is plugged in it will charge at 48A right away.

• Informative
Reactions: CapsFan and mociaf9
I just setup power sharing via subpanel and seems to be working okay. Noticed the following behavior and just wanted to see if others are seeing the same thing. Overall it appears to be working, but not quite the behavior I was expecting.
  • Wifi to home network is only on the master wall connector. The other one shows connected to my network, but doesn't have a local IP or shows up on my client list.
  • When both chargers are connected, even if only one is charging it defaults to 24A. Then it slowly ramps up the amps on the car that is charging. If just one charger is plugged in it will charge at 48A right away.
Both of your points are the expected behaviour.

The “leader” will be the only wall connector remain connected to your network. With this said, it’s that it doesn’t offer firmware updates to the follower.

At least that’s what I have experienced thus far.

It’s worth noting that if the PowerSharing network degrades, all of the wall connectors that were part of the network with have a maximum amp equals to max amps set in the power sharing menu / n number of wall connectors that were part of the network.

Until, the network has been resolved through the process of rebooting the followers.