Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Charger Power Sharing - who has this working?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just setup power sharing via subpanel and seems to be working okay. Noticed the following behavior and just wanted to see if others are seeing the same thing. Overall it appears to be working, but not quite the behavior I was expecting.
  • Wifi to home network is only on the master wall connector. The other one shows connected to my network, but doesn't have a local IP or shows up on my client list.
  • When both chargers are connected, even if only one is charging it defaults to 24A. Then it slowly ramps up the amps on the car that is charging. If just one charger is plugged in it will charge at 48A right away.
I'm experiencing the same situation. Not really what I expected. It's not ideal to have to unplug the other car to get the full 48amps. It's not a deal-breaker since I don't need the 48 amps in most cases, but I'm hoping Tesla fixes this.

The lowest possible pilot signal for a J1772 compatible EVSE is 6A. I would expect that if a non-charging car is plugged in, that 6A must remain allocated to that plug. In theory, with a 60A breaker setting, the actively charging car should eventually have 42A available, even if it starts out at 24A and ramps up from there as indicated above.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9 and Rocky_H
I'm experiencing the same situation. Not really what I expected. It's not ideal to have to unplug the other car to get the full 48amps. It's not a deal-breaker since I don't need the 48 amps in most cases, but I'm hoping Tesla fixes this.
I'm not sure what you mean. "slowly ramps up the amps on the car that is charging" is presumably only tens of seconds or low-minutes. I don't think there's anything to fix.

I mean, lets suppose for a moment the rule is "When a car gets plugged in, it gets full power immediately, and over time we figure out how much the two cars together are using and turn them down appropriately." If you were to plug in two cars at the same time, they'd be drawing double the amount they were supposed to, at least for a time. In truth, since this is a Gen3 thing, you might be okay since they are supposed to have separate circuits at least back to a subpanel. If they are going back to a main panel(rated at 100A or better main breaker), it probably won't trip, since 48 extra amps for the tens of seconds it takes to ramp-down might not be enough to trip it. If they are instead going back to a subpanel specifically installed in the garage for charging, it might have only a 60 amp feed breaker coming to it, and that feed breaker may trip because the charge level isn't curtailed fast enough.

When the other choice is "wait (literally) a minute to get up to full current levels", that's really easy to decide, since a typical charging session is hours long.

I'm not sure what you mean. "slowly ramps up the amps on the car that is charging" is presumably only tens of seconds or low-minutes. I don't think there's anything to fix.

I mean, lets suppose for a moment the rule is "When a car gets plugged in, it gets full power immediately, and over time we figure out how much the two cars together are using and turn them down appropriately." If you were to plug in two cars at the same time, they'd be drawing double the amount they were supposed to, at least for a time. In truth, since this is a Gen3 thing, you might be okay since they are supposed to have separate circuits at least back to a subpanel. If they are going back to a main panel(rated at 100A or better main breaker), it probably won't trip, since 48 extra amps for the tens of seconds it takes to ramp-down might not be enough to trip it. If they are instead going back to a subpanel specifically installed in the garage for charging, it might have only a 60 amp feed breaker coming to it, and that feed breaker may trip because the charge level isn't curtailed fast enough.

When the other choice is "wait (literally) a minute to get up to full current levels", that's really easy to decide, since a typical charging session is hours long.
I agreed, a few-minute ramp would be excellent, but it's closer to hours and never reached 48amps. The max I was able to see is 40amps after multiple hours. On the other hand, my Gen 2 setup would take a few seconds.

I agreed, a few-minute ramp would be excellent, but it's closer to hours and never reached 48amps. The max I was able to see is 40amps after multiple hours. On the other hand, my Gen 2 setup would take a few seconds.
If you can find a way to report this to Tesla, please do! I might deploy a power sharing setup soon, and while this behavior wouldn't be a deal-breaker, would be nice to have a quicker ramp.

I assume the charging protocol lets it ramp a car back down, if another car starts requesting more...

Is there any reason I could not use the gen 3 load sharing capability to share between two vehicles, 1 Tesla and one non-Tesla? Each would have a gen 3 wall charger and I would use an adapter to plug in the non-Tesla Vehicle.

Separately, has Tesla addressed the question re: ramp when two cars are plugged in? If it’s not going to give the full 48 amps to the non-fully charged car, I feel like I’d be better off with a single charger and just charge each night whichever car needed it more. Any updates on that question would be much appreciated. Ty

Reactions: Lodo1000
Is there any reason I could not use the gen 3 load sharing capability to share between two vehicles, 1 Tesla and one non-Tesla? Each would have a gen 3 wall charger and I would use an adapter to plug in the non-Tesla Vehicle.

Separately, has Tesla addressed the question re: ramp when two cars are plugged in? If it’s not going to give the full 48 amps to the non-fully charged car, I feel like I’d be better off with a single charger and just charge each night whichever car needed it more. Any updates on that question would be much appreciated. Ty

I have the same question when using a Tesla to J1772 adaptor. I assume it would work... I charge our leaf with the WC (gen2) and it works fine as a single charger.

Regarding balancing... I prefer the split the charge evenly approach. Both will be full anyway in the morning (under most circumstances). If there was a special case, I'd just leave one car unplugged that evening. No algorithm is perfect for all situations.

Reactions: Lodo1000
I know this is old, but I wanted to revisit this topic again as there are a lot of miss informations about each wall connector supposed to have its own circuit breaker.

Here in the Wall Connector guide it says the following:

Power sharing is ideal for households that need to charge more than one Tesla at the same time, but may not have enough power for multiple electrical circuits. This functionality allows up to four Wall Connectors to share power from one circuit while still allowing your vehicles to receive a sufficient charge.

I have had Power Sharing working with two gen 3 Wall Connectors connected to one 60amp breaker.

Each Wall Connector is setup to its maximum allowable amp (60 amps for 48amps continuous)

When both cars are connected which ever car has the lowest charge requests more energy. Both Wall Connectors never exceed the maximum supply amp (in my case 48 amps between the two).

As soon as one car is fully charge, the other car gets all 48amps assigned.
I am thinking I have to do the same thing as there is not enough space in my main panel. My question is how is the charging? Will both cars be charged completely during the evening?

These are probably really dumb questions, but 1) the gen 3 wall connectors communicate with each other exclusively by wifi, no hard wired, correct? and 2) I can successfully have 2 appropriately set up and configured Tesla gen 3 wall chargers load share with no local wifi network whatsoever, correct? They just need to communicate with one another via wifi, right?

ty

Reactions: Rocky_H
These are probably really dumb questions, but 1) the gen 3 wall connectors communicate with each other exclusively by wifi, no hard wired, correct? and 2) I can successfully have 2 appropriately set up and configured Tesla gen 3 wall chargers load share with no local wifi network whatsoever, correct? They just need to communicate with one another via wifi, right?

ty
I believe that is all correct.

Looks like a few days ago firmware 21.36.5 was pushed to both my Wall Connectors and now both are connected to my network. Not sure how the 2nd one got the update, guess they master one had the ability to update others connected to it. Don’t see any other obvious changes for this firmware release.

Looks like a few days ago firmware 21.36.5 was pushed to both my Wall Connectors and now both are connected to my network. Not sure how the 2nd one got the update, guess they master one had the ability to update others connected to it. Don’t see any other obvious changes for this firmware release.
Whoops nevermind, looks like it actually broke my power sharing and that is why both started showing up on my network. Had to factory reset both wall connectors and pair them up again.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
This is exactly how my Gen2 power sharing has worked for years. It sucks, and sometimes the actively charging car will get "stuck" at a lower speed than it should. For example, last night mine only ramped up to 24A when it should normally ramp to 34A on my 40A shared circuit. This is when the second car is asleep and its wall connector contactor is not even closed. Sounds like the power sharing protocol must be the same or very similar on Gen2 and Gen3, and that's a huge bummer.

Whoops nevermind, looks like it actually broke my power sharing and that is why both started showing up on my network. Had to factory reset both wall connectors and pair them up again.

How do you factory reset these? The first one I got had issues with network after I tried to add it to my load sharing network.

As a side note, right now the LEADER can charge at 48A, but the FOLLOWER is limited to 6A. In the setup, it says I don't have enough power, so I removed it.

Now, the POWER SHARING option doesn't even show up on the main menu.

I get the error message "The network current is too low relative to the number of devices on the power sharing network."

Individually they work fine at 48A. I have them wired into the same breaker, which sounds like it needs to be adjusted to individual per charger. What else am I doing wrong?

How do you factory reset these? The first one I got had issues with network after I tried to add it to my load sharing network.

As a side note, right now the LEADER can charge at 48A, but the FOLLOWER is limited to 6A. In the setup, it says I don't have enough power, so I removed it.

Now, the POWER SHARING option doesn't even show up on the main menu.
Once you’re logged in, you can go to /service to reset it or /sharing to get to the power sharing menu.

Reactions: timeslip
I have the same question when using a Tesla to J1772 adaptor. I assume it would work... I charge our leaf with the WC (gen2) and it works fine as a single charger.

Regarding balancing... I prefer the split the charge evenly approach. Both will be full anyway in the morning (under most circumstances). If there was a special case, I'd just leave one car unplugged that evening. No algorithm is perfect for all situations.
Reviving this thread, @brkaus did you ever get an answer on that or managed to test this?

I wanna do the same thing and wonder if it would work properly...

Basically 2 x Gen 3 Tesla wall connectors in power sharing mode on the same 60A circuit.
If I use the Lectron Tesla to J1772 adapter to allow for non-Tesla vehicles to charge is is going to work? Adapter link
I think the question is really more something like :
  • Is the Wall Connector itself discovering the required power of each vehicles
  • Is the vehicle supposed to request an amount to "ask" the charger
  • Is the charger (Wall Connector) required to actually negotiate with the car to handle power sharing? (In which case, yeah I see using an adapter might be a problem)
The electrician I was talking with seemed to say that using an adapter would prevent the charger to talk with the vehicle and so it would not work, but honestly he did not seem too sure and just wanted to be on the safe side.

Hope someone can help as I can't find a straight answer and I'd like to have confirmation before having an electrician do work that might not end up being useful...

Reviving this thread, @brkaus did you ever get an answer on that or managed to test this?

I wanna do the same thing and wonder if it would work properly...

Basically 2 x Gen 3 Tesla wall connectors in power sharing mode on the same 60A circuit.
If I use the Lectron Tesla to J1772 adapter to allow for non-Tesla vehicles to charge is is going to work? Adapter link
I think the question is really more something like :
  • Is the Wall Connector itself discovering the required power of each vehicles
  • Is the vehicle supposed to request an amount to "ask" the charger
  • Is the charger (Wall Connector) required to actually negotiate with the car to handle power sharing? (In which case, yeah I see using an adapter might be a problem)
The electrician I was talking with seemed to say that using an adapter would prevent the charger to talk with the vehicle and so it would not work, but honestly he did not seem too sure and just wanted to be on the safe side.

Hope someone can help as I can't find a straight answer and I'd like to have confirmation before having an electrician do work that might not end up being useful...
Never did install the second WC, but mine is GEN2.

However, I would say that if it doesn't honor the splitting of the charge it would be a danger to use and thus I would have to assume it works. Of course, assume but verify :)