Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 cord 23 degree temp rise in 10 minutes :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My entire cable gets quite warm, so the issue is with cable. I've emailed tech support twice, but haven't gotten any response.

Can someone else measure their cable temp? A handheld IR thermometer works well for this also.

I've notice that my car shows 229 - 230 volts when charging. I decided to see where the losses are, and determined the primary issue is with the relatively thin 18' cord on the Gen 3 HPWC. The cord on my JuiceBox is much bigger. In hindsight, I wish I got the 8.5' cord or another JuiceBox.
View attachment 566363
237 volts at the breaker (4 gauge wire).
View attachment 566364

Tesla reports a 9 volt drop. Assuming both are accurate, where did most of the 9*48=432 watts go?
View attachment 566367
Here it is... Ambient temp is 102*, wire is 125*. That was just 10 minutes, I'm sure it hadn't reached steady state yet. Sigh.
Yeah, cable is definitely heating, it's probably at least 75C rated, like the main terminals.

What emissivity setting are you using on the IR camera? The cable may be more radiative than the housing.

36 feet of 4 gauge at 48 amps is 0.85 V round trip (0.018 Ohms).

I've never looked at any of this but now because of you guys I spent like an hour testing mine. I have a chargepoint flex charger and 50amp breaker. The car normally chargers at 40amps.

My charger cable gets warm, so does my conduit and breaker going to the charger. My apartment has a lot of voltage drop. It's a townhouse with 200amp main breaker. The power here is very weak or something. My lights dim temporarily when my ac ac kicks on even when I'm not charging. My lights dim sometimes when I turn on my bathroom fan even.

5amps 235v
16amps 233v
25amps 231v
32amps 229v
40amps 228v

Also I plugged my mobile connector in the 14-50 outlet and the charger cable gets warm too. I think these warm cables are normal. They prob try to balance size and efficiency. I kind of reget getting a 23ft cable now when I only need like 10.

Last edited:
My entire cable gets quite warm, so the issue is with cable. I've emailed tech support twice, but haven't gotten any response.

Can someone else measure their cable temp? A handheld IR thermometer works well for this also.
I'll take some measurements tonight or tomorrow. I usually don't run into issues when I'm only charging 10-15%, though. My car will probably only be around 65% so I might need to drive it around a bit to force a longer charge, or wait to charge it Sunday or Monday and take temps then.

Here are my readings with an IR thermometer.

inside my 2 car garage:
Ambient 86.0 F
Humidity 67%

Right before charging started:
Gen 3 HPWC (reading taken by the LEDs): 88.7 F
6" from the charger, cable temp: 86.7 F
235v, 48A

After 30 minutes of charging:
HPWC: 98.7 F
Cable temp: 99.8 F
237v, 48A

After 60 minutes of charging:
HPWC: 107.6 F
Cable temp: 114.9 F
237v, 48A

After 75 minutes of charging is when I got the red blinking light:
HPWC 109.9 F
Cable temp: 104.9
239v, 24A

yeah, next time. Just frustrating having to dial back.

Just wanted to let you guys know I got my replacement WC delivered Thursday and hooked it up. Charged perfectly fine Thursday evening from 55% to 90% at 48A sustained about 2.5-3 hours worth. No problems. Charged last night for about 2 hours and got the exact same overheating red blink as the first unit I sent back via FedEx per Tesla. Back down to 24A. Cable and unit are definitely warm but I can leave my hand on it sustained. Firmware got updated from 0.8.4 to 0.8.58 from Thursday to Friday. Do you have any later firmware? Is 40A the solution for now? Obviously the replacement they sent me isn't doing any better. Especially if it dialed down after just two charging sessions versus my original one that was going strong from 6/25 - 7/6 with no issues. Hard to tell if this is firmware of hardware related. Frustrating.

... Hard to tell if this is firmware of hardware related. Frustrating.

The hot cable is certainly hardware (the wire), the dropping the current down is likely firmware.

I wired my garage and bought a HPWC for a 48 amp charge. IMO, it's poor engineering to use a wire gauge that gets quite warm during normal use.

I'd like to see Tesla replace these units with a cable properly sized for the job, but think that is unlikely.

Reactions: UncleCreepy