Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 cord 23 degree temp rise in 10 minutes :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've never looked at any of this but now because of you guys I spent like an hour testing mine. I have a chargepoint flex charger and 50amp breaker. The car normally chargers at 40amps.

My charger cable gets warm, so does my conduit and breaker going to the charger. My apartment has a lot of voltage drop. It's a townhouse with 200amp main breaker. The power here is very weak or something. My lights dim temporarily when my ac ac kicks on even when I'm not charging. My lights dim sometimes when I turn on my bathroom fan even.

5amps 235v
16amps 233v
25amps 231v
32amps 229v
40amps 228v

Also I plugged my mobile connector in the 14-50 outlet and the charger cable gets warm too. I think these warm cables are normal. They prob try to balance size and efficiency. I kind of reget getting a 23ft cable now when I only need like 10.

After all this I discovered at night I only drop 3 volts at 40amps. It's everyone in my community running AC in the day straining our area. This is a gated community of 700 townhomes.

Last edited:
On the previous firmware it would drop to below 6A and then stop charging all together. On the current firmware, it seems to continue charge at 24A but not charge at 48A. Probably programmed to not do so at certain temperatures.

They could do that better I think. No reason for it to drop to 6 or not find a charge rate with less heat. You can do it with your car yourself but it should be doing it automatically.

My house panel drops 2-3 volts, the 237 measurement I showed is at my garage sub-panel. It was 240 before I started charging. I have 2/0 90C aluminum wire between my 200 amp main panel and my 150 amp garage panel. There is less than one volt drop on that wire at ~60 amps.

The two times my HPWC got goofy, it ramps to 17 amps and drops to 0 every 20 seconds or so. Rebooting the car brings it back to 48.

For those with connector temperature issues, have you popped the cover off and examined the actual wires under the terminal screws? I remember a thread where these screws were over torqued causing the stranded wire to separate, leaving 48A of current passing through just a couple strands. Definitely a recipe for overheating which would then cause the Wall Connector to reduce current. Just a thought.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
For those with connector temperature issues, have you popped the cover off and examined the actual wires under the terminal screws? I remember a thread where these screws were over torqued causing the stranded wire to separate, leaving 48A of current passing through just a couple strands. Definitely a recipe for overheating which would then cause the Wall Connector to reduce current. Just a thought.

I thought being under torqued caused overheating? Anyway, here is how I re torqued the replacement WC. I torqued them until it was hand tight, Don't have a torque wrench to do exactly 50lb ft per the manual. Is this proper?

IMG_20200723_162228.jpg IMG_20200712_070731.jpg IMG_20200723_162228.jpg IMG_20200712_070731.jpg

I thought being under torqued caused overheating? Anyway, here is how I re torqued the replacement WC. I torqued them until it was hand tight, Don't have a torque wrench to do exactly 50lb ft per the manual. Is this proper?

View attachment 568830 View attachment 568831 View attachment 568830 View attachment 568831
50 pound inches. Not pound feet.
Lbf can be confusing, it means "pounds force" to contrast torque (x pounds at y feet) with work (x pounds through y feet).
Pound-foot (torque) - Wikipedia

SmartSelect_20200725-144816_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Under torque (loose) is bad due to higher resistance. Over torque is bad due to connector deformation and/or strand breakage.

My entire 16' wire is hot (see thermal images above). It's due to an undersized wire, not a loose connection.
Realizing heat is loss and loss is not a good use of energy, it can be properly sized and still get quite warm.

TME spec for plastic non normal touch surfaces is 85C. Gen 3 connector operating ambient temp max is 50 C. So allowable temp rise under that spec is 35 C or 63 F. Touch surface (handles or knobs) limit is 70 C, a rise of 20 C or 36 F.

Has anyone gotten the firmware update on their Gen 3 WC? Seems like before, I was having it shut-down due to overheating, now it will ramp it down to 24AMPs instead of 48AMPs if it is too hot.

I've had to manually restart charging for it to get back to 48AMPs but the WC is super hot and so is my panel. Had a certified electrician install it but not sure what I need to test?

Has anyone gotten the firmware update on their Gen 3 WC? Seems like before, I was having it shut-down due to overheating, now it will ramp it down to 24AMPs instead of 48AMPs if it is too hot.

I've had to manually restart charging for it to get back to 48AMPs but the WC is super hot and so is my panel. Had a certified electrician install it but not sure what I need to test?
Mine does the same now, charging at 24A instead of turning off after the latest update. I don't think there's anything we can do since it's most likely the hardware.

Mine does the same now, charging at 24A instead of turning off after the latest update. I don't think there's anything we can do since it's most likely the hardware.
It's either hardware or a bricked piece of firmware. I'm running on 0.8.58 after an update from 0.8.4 and the same issue. But my replacement WC from Tesla had the same behavior. It's weird because the unit had been behaving just fine from late June into July 6.

Reactions: mongo