Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 door handle - Replace sensor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if Tesla stocks the sensor in the gen3 door handle or if there is another source? It rained hard, and my drivers door stopped opening. This door handle on my 2013 p85 was replaced a year ago with a gen 3 handle and I am out of warranty.

So I cracked it open, pulled the handle out, and the waterproof connectors were filled with water. Gotta love it.

I tried removing the water to see if it started working again, but the magnet sensor is not picking up the change in handle position still. Handle presents, but it doesn't stop where it is supposed to and you can hear the motor struggle for a second, then after it stops I pull and nothing. Magnet is still in place and looks to be in the correct place as well.

So it looks like the sensor is dead. I have it in a bag with some desiccant just in case, but seriously doubt that will work.

The part number is
1066379-00-a

This is NOT the same as the gen1 or gen2 handles! Just keep that in mind :)

Hey scot, just found your old thread when searching for the part no. 1066379-00-A
Were you successfull on getting the part and fixing it in the end?

On my car I've already fixed 2 old-gen handles but now even a 3rd one (which was already replaced with Gen3 when still within warranty) failed.

The motor keeps pushing out the handle over the (magnetic?) endstop then somehow notices it cant go further and (as a safety messure i guess) completely retracts the handle in again.
I can see no obvious broken parts on the handle, motor nor the sepearted chip/board so thought I will start with replacing the sensor part 1066379-00-A

Cheers

I have same issue. Gen 2 replaced with Gen 3 under warranty. 14 months later the Gen 3 handle has failed. my 2015 P90D is out of warranty. I am told that we cannot easily repair the Gen 3 handles like the others.Furthermore, the Gen 3 handles may require some software upgrade. Does anyone know if we can we revert back to a refurbished Gen 2 handle? It seems there are awesome after-market fixes, which make the old handles bulletproof. BTW, if we can't fix the Gen 3 handles, no one should let Tesla install the Gen 3 handles because they fail too, but may be unrepairable.

My 3rd gen failed yesterday. I thought it was a microswitch issue and was going to repair it myself. The unit looked clean and new.
I finally get this assembly out of my door and I was surprised to see no microswitch.

I pulled the sensor out of place, cleaned up the terminals with electronics cleaner and let it dry before reassembling it. No improvement.

I would love to try the new switch from eBay but it’s embarrassing enough to need to leave your window down to get in or worse yet reach from the passenger side over to open the driver door, as Rich Rebuilds says “just like any common man”...

My door handle is likely 16 months old if I had to guess. I bought the car in December 2019.

It’s been a financial disaster of a vehicle. I’ve ditched my Lexus rx350 because door lock actuators would fail every 6 months, a common issue. I was under warranty for all of my failures but as soon as my warranty was up, I thought this would be worth the shot.

I’ve had about $5,700 of repairs and maintenance since I bought this just 14 months ago. MCU, tires after just 18k miles, cv shaft, upper control arm, 12v battery, both rear axle seals, battery heater, and persistent horrible steering clicks when turning the wheel. I’m about to go looking for a new ride...

I had my factory original rear-left 3rd generation handle go out of alignment in January (3 years old) on crunchy-sounding opening after freezing rain (and 20 minutes pre-condition with ambient 3 °C); resolved via mobile service and recallibration of existing handle. Though 4 months on that randomly happened again again on a warm, dry afternoon. The aforementioned sensor/electronics assembly swap-out worked. So seems probable that water vapour ice-over is sufficient to breach the seal.

Last edited: