Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 HPWC on a 110, 20Amp Circuit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All,
model 3 user.

I live in an apartment and management OK'ed the install of a 20 amp 110 that i use a umc on. ive been using this with no issues.

i just wanted to know if a hpwc would work on this type of circuit or does it need to be 240?

thank you.

I live in an apartment and management OK'ed the install of a 20 amp 110 that i use a umc on.
Regardless of whether you are using a mobile connector or a wall connector, can't you get the management to change that to a 240V circuit? It's the exact same wiring regardless of that voltage difference. The only difference is in which type of breaker is used to connect it in the panel.
But I guess that's the other question. Is this a dedicated line they ran just for you, where that is the only outlet on there, or is it like they just added one more outlet onto a circuit that already existed and has other stuff on it?

thank you to all who responded.

im ignorant to the wall charger, so i ASSumed it can ONLY be used on 240 volt circuits. actually i have NO idea the requirements which is why I asked.

the circuit i dont think has its own breaker. i think its on a line of other things so swapping out a breaker is not practical in this situation. the wiring was already in place (possibly to be used for lighting in the garage) so the electrician repurposed this unused feed for a 20 amp wall plate.

my main point is , is it possible for the hpwc to work on a 20 amp 110 volt circuit? if so that's all I need to know. :)

thank you so much.

thank you to all who responded.

im ignorant to the wall charger, so i ASSumed it can ONLY be used on 240 volt circuits. actually i have NO idea the requirements which is why I asked.

the circuit i dont think has its own breaker. i think its on a line of other things so swapping out a breaker is not practical in this situation. the wiring was already in place (possibly to be used for lighting in the garage) so the electrician repurposed this unused feed for a 20 amp wall plate.

my main point is , is it possible for the hpwc to work on a 20 amp 110 volt circuit? if so that's all I need to know. :)

thank you so much.
You mean that it is not on a dedicated circuit?

im thinking its not on a dedicated circuit. it is an unused circuit that was probably made for an extra spot to put a light or something.

my main point is , will an hpwc work on a typical 110V 20amp circuit? :)

Why spend $500 for a HPWC?

I park in a public garage and I use a lockable cabinet with a plug inside to which I connect my Tesla Portable Connector.

When not in use, I keep all the cable inside the cabinet so nobody can steal the charger.

And when in use, I can still close and lock the door with the cable passing at one of the corner.

Note: I have been using 120 V with some extension cables before I was able to install a 240 V plug.

Charging was a little bit slow but if you can charge all the night you might have enough for your daily commute.

And since I mostly used my bicycle during the weekend, my car was always fully charged at the end of the weekend.
MUS0303015PER5_main-1.jpg

Question: Will you have to pay for the electricity.

I would recommend installing a small Wattmetter as people would certainly curious how much electricity you used.

On this device, the Power is the instant power delivered,
and the Energy is the total power delivered, which can reset every month or just kept accumulating.

I would put it outside of the cabinet, and you can turn the display off or cover it to keep it discrete.

417%2BjU%2BHnbL.jpg

Also, not mandatory, but I would put a rotary switch outside the cabinet, allowing to disconnect the charger.

This might be practical if you cannot access the circuit breaker
or if you cannot see the circuit breaker this would allow you to know if the plug is energized.

l_22143503.jpg

Last edited:
The minimum requirements are 208v or 240v
True.
with a minimum 40 Amps breaker.
False.
That has never been the case before, but you got me doubting myself, so I went and looked it up in the manual.

That's a link to the old version 2 wall connector, which isn't what this thread is about. So I went and found the manual for the Gen 3 wall connector:
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...ng/Gen3_WallConnector_Installation_Manual.pdf
All of the wall connectors have been able to use circuits as low as 15A, and that's still true in the Gen3. There is no minimum 40A requirement.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
I sent an email to Tesla Home Charging a several days ago and they got back to me:

The Wall Connector is installed on a 240v line, so you would need to have an electrician install a new circuit.

You cannot use an existing 110v (regular outlet) to install the Wall Connector.

so this is what I wanted to know. Appreciate the discussion and feedback.

True.

False.
That has never been the case before, but you got me doubting myself, so I went and looked it up in the manual.

That's a link to the old version 2 wall connector, which isn't what this thread is about. So I went and found the manual for the Gen 3 wall connector:
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...ng/Gen3_WallConnector_Installation_Manual.pdf
All of the wall connectors have been able to use circuits as low as 15A, and that's still true in the Gen3. There is no minimum 40A requirement.

You are quite right that I was referring to the older wall connector. My apologies. I missed the "Gen 3" at the top of the thread.