Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 platform ~ 2025

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to hearsay gen 3 platform coming in 2025
The Gen 3 platform will be built in Mexico first, then they will copy & paste production to other Giga Factories.
The first Gen 3 vehicle will roll off the production line in 18-24 months
To be stainless steel.
FqT-VH6aAAA5Z8L

Will Gen 3 be a minivan, a car smaller than Model 3, or both?

Too square rear hatch has bad aero though it's better for cargo space.

My guess is a cross between a Polestar 2 (rear hatch but not a full wagon b/c of aero) and a snub nose DeLorean (flat or simply bent stainless panels), shrunken overall. Maybe a bit of Citroen CX?

Better aero gives better range and that's going to be important as they will economize on the battery as much as they can.

The right image under the tarp doesn't look as tall as a CUV and it doesn't have a flat back. It may be a placeholder but maybe not.

I think it's going to be very CyberCar ish. I bet there will probably be higher-end high-profit performance models (NCA vs LFP battery) which might look pretty cool. It might bring sedans back into style.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanCar
From the Tesla mission statement: "We design sustainable systems that are massively scalable—resulting in the greatest environmental benefit possible.". They have already created a sea change in the perception of consumer cars. The next biggest impact is in commercial vehicles.
So I hope it is a full sized delivery van. The entries by Ford/Sprinter/Stellantis are unimaginative. If Tesla could apply its engineering magic to produce a low cost/ high efficiency cargo van, it would really help the environment. Maybe something a little bigger than a Transit Connect, but smaller than a Sprinter.

Reactions: DanCar
From the Tesla mission statement: "We design sustainable systems that are massively scalable—resulting in the greatest environmental benefit possible.". They have already created a sea change in the perception of consumer cars. The next biggest impact is in commercial vehicles.
So I hope it is a full sized delivery van. The entries by Ford/Sprinter/Stellantis are unimaginative. If Tesla could apply its engineering magic to produce a low cost/ high efficiency cargo van, it would really help the environment. Maybe something a little bigger than a Transit Connect, but smaller than a Sprinter.

Still need 300 miles of real world (vehicle loaded) range to avoid over cycling the battery. I feel like we are still a long way away from that.

450 epa miles or more for less than 60k with a light enough to be road legal fully loaded…

Elon says next gen vehicle will cost half as much to manufacturer as Tesla Model 3. Will be a smaller vehicle.
He also says something ridiculous: next gen vehicle will be used almost entirely in autonomous mode. 47 minutes into the video.

• Funny
Reactions: qdeathstar
Based on the image in original post / tweet, under "300M", I'm thinking the van will be based on the cyber truck platform.
Here are July 2022 posts by Elon about a van.
Maybe Tesla should make a highly configurable Robovan for people & cargo?
Maybe with an optional solar power canopy that extends both sides of the van, tripling roof area
A van would have more roof height, so you could stand or sit under it for shade.

• Love
Reactions: MitchMitch