Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Tesla Wall Connector - 18ft cable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I sold my MY which I only had for 4 months. The wall connector is only 2 months old and used maybe dozen times. Asking 400 + shipping (or label). I live OTP South Atlanta and can do local.

Charger1.jpg
Charger2.jpg

That’s a good deal and very generous of you. But folks should understand that the 10-50 plug from the factory probably has a temperature sensor in the plug. One you add does not.

Also a 10-50 outlet requires a GFCI where hard wiring does not.

By manually adding a 10-50 plug you’ve defeated 3 good reasons to have a wall connector in the first place.

That’s a good deal and very generous of you. But folks should understand that the 10-50 plug from the factory probably has a temperature sensor in the plug. One you add does not.

Also a 10-50 outlet requires a GFCI where hard wiring does not.

By manually adding a 10-50 plug you’ve defeated 3 good reasons to have a wall connector in the first place.
My reason for wanting the plug on this unit is it is going in a vacation home I own that I also put on AirBNB/VRBO. I want the Tesla charger for when I’m down there, and most of my EV owning guests have a Tesla as well, but there will be more and more non-Tesla EVs so I want it to be easy for them to unplug the Tesla charger and plug-in whatever they need. I don’t want to provide a Tesla -> J1772 adapter. Maybe I should just put in a J1772 and provide a J1772 -> Tesla adapter.

What 3 reasons are defeated by adding a 10-50 plug? At my main home I have the wall charger hard wired and it is super clean. Never added the plug to it before.

My reason for wanting the plug on this unit is it is going in a vacation home I own that I also put on AirBNB/VRBO. I want the Tesla charger for when I’m down there, and most of my EV owning guests have a Tesla as well, but there will be more and more non-Tesla EVs so I want it to be easy for them to unplug the Tesla charger and plug-in whatever they need. I don’t want to provide a Tesla -> J1772 adapter. Maybe I should just put in a J1772 and provide a J1772 -> Tesla adapter.

What 3 reasons are defeated by adding a 10-50 plug? At my main home I have the wall charger hard wired and it is super clean. Never added the plug to it before.
Leaving a J1772 would be a heck of a lot easier and safer.

When you have a 14-50 EV outlet you must now install a GFCI. Those are expensive. Also need to find one that is not temperamental with EV.

The Tesla Mobile Connector (and I assume the corded Wall Connector) has a temperature sensor in the plug. If it senses heat in the plug it will shut down. If you add a cord and heat forms it just melts down instead. It’s an important safety feature.

14-50 for continuous load and plugging in is just bad. Most people do it because of the included Mobile Connector. Why on earth folks put them on wall connectors is beyond me.

If You you want to do what you said you should get a factory corded one and make sure you have GFCI on the 14-50. Especially on a rental. Or better and cheaper option -> Hardwire and leave the J1772.