Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 wall charger installed 3 phase 400v 32amp

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well in theory I could use a step-up transformer. I'd need to take the power from a 80A breaker on my panel and use bigger wiring on the 240V portion though...

What is the maximum voltage that you can feed into the OBC? Seems like 277V is okay but I'm guessing 480V is not.
Yes, you are right. You could use a step up transformer, but that is far away from practical and efficient. You will need some space to put the transformer, have panel/disconnect after it, with all the appropriate cabling/conduits etc. This will cost you a lot and if you don't get a good transformer you can use it as space heater in your garage. So bottom line - to go from 11kw to 13kw charging power is not worth all the above.

I've see on this forum earlier Model S is sensitive on voltages 270-280 and people have no consistent success charging with. First hand experience with my M3P - 280 works, but I've seen the charger (HPWC) LED turning red and the voltage was 285V. Not sure what exactly is the threshold, but it is between 280V and 285V. And yes - 480V is a big NO-NO. That's the reason you use a power connector - it's somewhat "smart" and it won't let muggles plugging the car in a random voltage power grid.

The purpose of the 22 kW wall connector was that the early Tesla vehicles DID come with a 22 kW onboard charger (optional) that could use all of that fully. That's what I just explained:

The first several years of the Model S from 2012 through early 2016 had a system of single or dual onboard chargers. They were two separate pieces, and they were each 11 kW, so if you had two of them installed, they did have 22 kW power capability, and so that's what the older wall connectors could supply. It was all wonderful.

But for the last several years, Tesla has taken an attitude that they don't want to even offer the option of higher level AC charging. They moved the onboard chargers in the cars down to the 12 kW maximum, and then replaced the Gen2 wall connectors, which could do 22 kW with the newer Gen3 wall connectors, which were smaller, cheaper, less capable, and less reliable that can only do 12 kW. So that's what we have now.
I am sorry to bust your balls, but that doesn't make sense to me. All the early Model S that came with a dual 11kw (total of 22kw) chargers were single phase and using the Tesla plug both in the US and the EU. The 3 phase HPWC Gen 3 the OP mentions is a 3 phase with the EU level 2 charging plug (type 2) everybody in EU uses (not the aforementioned Model S) and it has 4-5 (1 is ground) power conductors so it could be used with a 3 phase power (unlike the aforementioned Model S). So according to you, how in the world is the 3 phase 22KW made to be used with a single phase 22kW Model S OBC?

Again you are correct if you are using the HPWC Gen 2 installed on a 100A circuit with a nominal current 80A (consistent load for more than 15min should be no more than 80% of circuit's ampacity). And yes - the Gen 3 single phase maxes at 11KW, but the 3 phase is capable of 22KW.

Once again - the model 3 (if I can judge from mine) has an OBC that maxes at 13KW, with 11KW being given in the specs. So that's what we have now.

Correct me if I am wrong, I think I covered it pretty big detail.

Ah, you can take a look at the Gen 3 here, both single and 3 phase:

Tesla HPWC Gen 3 Single phase
Tesla HPWC Gen 3 3PT2 - See page 9, POWER OUTPUT. It is not for the US market and it's not available to buy in the US

Tesla Model 3 manual (GB) -CHARGING INSTRUCTIONS -> CHARGE SETTINGS towards the end:

1648529134174.png

So rough calculation - 230V*32A=7.4KW, times 3 for the 3 phases - 22KW. Now the question is "Which region is that?"

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
Car arrived yesterday and we took it for a nice 280km round trip, plugged the charger in overnight.

Around 69km/hr charging I think, cant remember as I didn't pay close attention to this.

29% left last night 90% in the morning, this is more than enough for my needs as I never do those type of km's.

What a weapon of a system, never have to worry about looking for cheap fuel/

Petrol prices here can swing by as much as 50c a litre for the good stuff between stations.

View attachment 742926
Hi there,

I was wondering if you were able to charge with 22KW as the charger (wall connector) is rated at 32A. 69km/hr translates to 11KW charging (tesla's estimate). I suspect the car is just not able to charge at 22KW but the information is scarse and I would like to hear from somebody that has tried it.

I am sorry to bust your balls, but that doesn't make sense to me.
Then get your facts right, and it will make sense, and you won't need to resort to being insulting.
All the early Model S that came with a dual 11kw (total of 22kw) chargers were single phase and using the Tesla plug both in the US and the EU.
That is false.
I'm going to allow the courtesy that maybe you are talking about an obscure situation where some individual in Europe was really passionate about this and bought a U.S. spec Tesla and then had it shipped over to Europe before Tesla ever began selling them in that continent. That is the only way your statement could be true. Tesla waited a long time to begin selling in Europe to avoid this very situation you're describing (which didn't happen). They would not ship cars there that couldn't use the commonly available 3 phase power and which had a proprietary port that did not match all of the existing public charging infrastructure. That just didn't happen. They used a modified Mennekes port on the cars, that was usable by the public Type2 cables, and they made their Supercharger plugs with that plug type too, so they could use just the one port on the car. So no, Tesla did not sell cars in the EU that had the Tesla proprietary port.

And the cars had their internal chargers configured differently than the ones they built for North America. They were differently wired internally so they could use 3 phase. This was actually a source of some irritation for some European owners because the chargers were not made with dynamic detection and switching inside, so if they were trying to use a high amp single phase source, it really couldn't pass through much current and was limited to pretty low levels, with effectively only being able to use a third of the charger.
The 3 phase HPWC Gen 3 the OP mentions is a 3 phase with the EU level 2 charging plug (type 2) everybody in EU uses (not the aforementioned Model S)
The Model S DID come with that Type 2 port!
and it has 4-5 (1 is ground) power conductors so it could be used with a 3 phase power (unlike the aforementioned Model S).
The Model S WAS built to use 3 phase!
So according to you, how in the world is the 3 phase 22KW made to be used with a single phase 22kW Model S OBC?
The basis for your previous assumptions are incorrect. As I mentioned, the European Model S cars DID come with differently configured internal chargers that were built to use 3 phase. They were not single phase for the cars sold in Europe. So the Model S and the Model X could use pretty high levels of power on 3 phase. When the X came out, they had redesigned the chargers some, so they could only do about 17 kW, and when the Model S got the refresh in early 2016, it also moved over to that new style of charger that could do 17 kW, but both were still configured for 3 phase for the ones built for Europe. And I think at that point was when they designed in the ability to detect and switch if they were getting a high amp single phase input instead of being limited to just a third of the power use.
Again you are correct if you are using the HPWC Gen 2 installed on a 100A circuit with a nominal current 80A (consistent load for more than 15min should be no more than 80% of circuit's ampacity).
The constant load definition is a lot longer than 15 minutes. But regardless, in the 2017 NEC version, they removed that potential loophole by defining that ALL charging for EVs must be considered constant load for these circuit calculations.
And yes - the Gen 3 single phase maxes at 11KW, but the 3 phase is capable of 22KW.
Maybe you're saying something accurate here, but it's a little unclear what you are saying. You mention "Gen 3". You mean Tesla's Gen 3 wall connector? Yes. Comparing it to the Gen 2? The Gen 2 was made in both versions, since they needed to offer it in both North America and Europe, and yes, they were about 22 kW capable Since the U.S. version was only single phase, it didn't quite get to use all that capacity, since it was effectively limited to about 240V x 80A, so it was about 19.2 kW.

Once again - the model 3 (if I can judge from mine) has an OBC that maxes at 13KW, with 11KW being given in the specs. So that's what we have now.
Sure, this is true.
Correct me if I am wrong, I think I covered it pretty big detail.
Oh, I did. I have been following this stuff about daily since 2013, so I remember the history and progression of it quite well.
Ah, you can take a look at the Gen 3 here, both single and 3 phase:

Tesla HPWC Gen 3 Single phase
Tesla HPWC Gen 3 3PT2 - See page 9, POWER OUTPUT. It is not for the US market and it's not available to buy in the US

Tesla Model 3 manual (GB) -CHARGING INSTRUCTIONS -> CHARGE SETTINGS towards the end:
So rough calculation - 230V*32A=7.4KW, times 3 for the 3 phases - 22KW. Now the question is "Which region is that?"
Two things: I'll answer the second question first.
1) "Which region is that?" That's Europe or Australia or the types of regions that use Type 2 cables for their charging infrastructure, which generally overlaps with 3 phase being commonly available. Any version of their wall connectors that is built for 3 phase and with a Type 2 cable is for that.

2) The 22 kW part. Now the second part is just a great bit of comedy of Tesla's incompetence of documentation. They fill in the rest of the table of charging power with math just to make it look pretty and not leave any blank spaces. But I am over 99% sure that the smaller, less capable, lower power Gen 3 version of the wall connector DOES NOT have the capability of providing 22 kW charging power from 3 phase or from any kind of source. Tesla is kind of notorious for copying over documentation from previous sources, which is wrong on the new equipment.

For instance, they had a table of the recharging speeds in rated miles per hour of the cars on various charging sources. On the old, heavy, inefficient Model S, that was listed as 3 mph on a 120V 12A supply. That was accurate. Several years later, when the Model 3 came out, which was much more efficient, they copied over the table and adjusted most of the values, but forgot to adjust the one for 120V 12A, so it still said 3 mph, which is just hilariously wrong, but has confused a lot of people. It still says 3 mph on Tesla's website to this day, and it's unlikely they will ever bother to fix it. So that's why the Gen 3 wall connector got that 22 kW copied over from the Gen 2 documentation but was not corrected to eliminate it since the Gen 3 can only do about 12 kW.

So no hard feelings, but feel free to listen to someone who has been following this for a really long time and does know about the history of Tesla's equipment.

• Love
Reactions: davewill
Again, I wonder why so many people are so obsessed with charging at high power when pretty much everybody charges at night and the car is able to take hours and hours to fill up. No one, or at least hardly anyone, needs to charge their car on high power. I've been using a 40 amp 220 volt outlet for ten years, and my car is always charged every morning. My wife can also charge when I do, on her own circuit breaker, and neither one of us needs a "wall charger" when we have "wall outlets" for which I paid around ten dollars each. I would NEVER put out such money for something that my simple outlet can do for next to nothing.

@roblab You are being extremely unhelpful spamming every thread about charging installations with your dismissive statements and bragging about your super cheap setup. That's fine for what it was back then, but that is an illegal code violation nowdays, and doing an outlet is way more expensive to comply with code now, so you are just giving bad advice to people. Please tone it down or figure out something relevant and constructive to give as advice to new owners.

No one, or at least hardly anyone, needs to charge their car on high power.
Hey guess what? I keep my car at 60% most of the time. One time I suddenly needed to go on longer trip which I expected to use about 50% of the battery, and I got about 60-90 minutes' notice. So I bumped up the charge limit and got an additional 15-20% into the battery in that time. I probably could have made it back without charging to 75-80% but it would have been down into the single digits on arrival back which I don't like doing unless it's absolutely necessary.

Then get your facts right, and it will make sense, and you won't need to resort to being insulting.

That is false.
I'm going to allow the courtesy that maybe you are talking about an obscure situation where some individual in Europe was really passionate about this and bought a U.S. spec Tesla and then had it shipped over to Europe before Tesla ever began selling them in that continent. That is the only way your statement could be true. Tesla waited a long time to begin selling in Europe to avoid this very situation you're describing (which didn't happen). They would not ship cars there that couldn't use the commonly available 3 phase power and which had a proprietary port that did not match all of the existing public charging infrastructure. That just didn't happen. They used a modified Mennekes port on the cars, that was usable by the public Type2 cables, and they made their Supercharger plugs with that plug type too, so they could use just the one port on the car. So no, Tesla did not sell cars in the EU that had the Tesla proprietary port.

And the cars had their internal chargers configured differently than the ones they built for North America. They were differently wired internally so they could use 3 phase. This was actually a source of some irritation for some European owners because the chargers were not made with dynamic detection and switching inside, so if they were trying to use a high amp single phase source, it really couldn't pass through much current and was limited to pretty low levels, with effectively only being able to use a third of the charger.

The Model S DID come with that Type 2 port!

The Model S WAS built to use 3 phase!

The basis for your previous assumptions are incorrect. As I mentioned, the European Model S cars DID come with differently configured internal chargers that were built to use 3 phase. They were not single phase for the cars sold in Europe. So the Model S and the Model X could use pretty high levels of power on 3 phase. When the X came out, they had redesigned the chargers some, so they could only do about 17 kW, and when the Model S got the refresh in early 2016, it also moved over to that new style of charger that could do 17 kW, but both were still configured for 3 phase for the ones built for Europe. And I think at that point was when they designed in the ability to detect and switch if they were getting a high amp single phase input instead of being limited to just a third of the power use.

The constant load definition is a lot longer than 15 minutes. But regardless, in the 2017 NEC version, they removed that potential loophole by defining that ALL charging for EVs must be considered constant load for these circuit calculations.

Maybe you're saying something accurate here, but it's a little unclear what you are saying. You mention "Gen 3". You mean Tesla's Gen 3 wall connector? Yes. Comparing it to the Gen 2? The Gen 2 was made in both versions, since they needed to offer it in both North America and Europe, and yes, they were about 22 kW capable Since the U.S. version was only single phase, it didn't quite get to use all that capacity, since it was effectively limited to about 240V x 80A, so it was about 19.2 kW.

Sure, this is true.

Oh, I did. I have been following this stuff about daily since 2013, so I remember the history and progression of it quite well.

Two things: I'll answer the second question first.
1) "Which region is that?" That's Europe or Australia or the types of regions that use Type 2 cables for their charging infrastructure, which generally overlaps with 3 phase being commonly available. Any version of their wall connectors that is built for 3 phase and with a Type 2 cable is for that.

2) The 22 kW part. Now the second part is just a great bit of comedy of Tesla's incompetence of documentation. They fill in the rest of the table of charging power with math just to make it look pretty and not leave any blank spaces. But I am over 99% sure that the smaller, less capable, lower power Gen 3 version of the wall connector DOES NOT have the capability of providing 22 kW charging power from 3 phase or from any kind of source. Tesla is kind of notorious for copying over documentation from previous sources, which is wrong on the new equipment.

For instance, they had a table of the recharging speeds in rated miles per hour of the cars on various charging sources. On the old, heavy, inefficient Model S, that was listed as 3 mph on a 120V 12A supply. That was accurate. Several years later, when the Model 3 came out, which was much more efficient, they copied over the table and adjusted most of the values, but forgot to adjust the one for 120V 12A, so it still said 3 mph, which is just hilariously wrong, but has confused a lot of people. It still says 3 mph on Tesla's website to this day, and it's unlikely they will ever bother to fix it. So that's why the Gen 3 wall connector got that 22 kW copied over from the Gen 2 documentation but was not corrected to eliminate it since the Gen 3 can only do about 12 kW.

So no hard feelings, but feel free to listen to someone who has been following this for a really long time and does know about the history of Tesla's equipment.
Hey Rocky_H,
I apologize if I insulted you. It looks like my false statements are based on:
1. I didn’t bother to check what plugs were used in EU pre-2019 (I assumed or trusted what “I’ve heard”)
2. I guess you can’t rely too much on tesla documentation.

Again - You are right on all accounts and I am sorry for being rude. I was so hoping the EU model 3/Y are able to use 3phase 22kw hook up.

Last edited:
I was so hoping the EU model 3/Y are able to use 3phase 32kw hook up.
That's been a little frustrating, and even more so in Europe as Tesla has continued this long history of reducing more and more the capability of onboard AC charging. In the U.S. versions, it used to be 80A, then 72A, then 48A, which is where we are now. They only seem to be going down in power. With Europe having more of these high power 3 phase public charging facilities, that's especially irritating. I think it should be optional equipment for an extra couple of thousand dollars to have a higher power charger built in. But Tesla seems to have the attitude that if anyone wants faster charging, they should just go to a Supercharger. Well that's fine if they are nearby and not full, but there is a lot of good AC charging infrastructure that could be used if Tesla would let people use it more effectively.

Reactions: dmurphy
The European brands know their local market where 22kW AC stations are common and frequently make a 22kW upgrade available to order on their cars while 11kW is standard. This is already a big step up from 7.2kW (single phase) which used to be standard.

Hi there,

New to the forum, we got our Tesla this week!

I had an electrician install our Wall Charger Gen 3 yesterday. The power at my property is 3 phase but I am only getting a maximum of 16A instead of the 32 I was hoping.

Was this installed incorrectly?

Here’s a screenshot from the Tesla Wall Charger.

Thanks

314B5526-AD2B-436E-984F-FD11CE0A3DEC.jpeg

I had an electrician install our Wall Charger Gen 3 yesterday. The power at my property is 3 phase but I am only getting a maximum of 16A instead of the 32 I was hoping.

Was this installed incorrectly?
I'm not really familiar with 3 phase and how to calculate the power from it, but I think this is how it goes. You have 240V on each phase. At 16A, that is 3840 W. And then I think you literally multiply by 3 to get 11,520 W. That sounds correct. 11 kW is the maximum those wall connectors are built to supply.

If you could do 32A, that would be 240V times 32 times 3, which equals 23 kW, and I know the wall connectors can't supply that much power. So the amps can go higher, if it's wired for single phase, but with 3 phase, I think 16A is as high as it can go.

But regardless, the speed of energy delivery into the car is simply in kW, so if you get 11 kW, that's maxed out from the wall connector anyway. The car's display should show that once you get a chance to use it.

Reactions: Acps110
I'm not really familiar with 3 phase and how to calculate the power from it, but I think this is how it goes. You have 240V on each phase. At 16A, that is 3840 W. And then I think you literally multiply by 3 to get 11,520 W. That sounds correct. 11 kW is the maximum those wall connectors are built to supply.

If you could do 32A, that would be 240V times 32 times 3, which equals 23 kW, and I know the wall connectors can't supply that much power. So the amps can go higher, if it's wired for single phase, but with 3 phase, I think 16A is as high as it can go.

But regardless, the speed of energy delivery into the car is simply in kW, so if you get 11 kW, that's maxed out from the wall connector anyway. The car's display should show that once you get a chance to use it.
Thanks!

I was a bit confused because the electrician said I could get 32a and 415 voltage…?

Here’s the charge in action:

28B9C172-091E-4057-B256-83059C11C977.jpeg

I was a bit confused because the electrician said I could get 32a and 415 voltage…?

Here’s the charge in action:
I see in the picture it's not showing the charging speed in kW. Instead, it's showing it as 85 km/hour. If you want to take a look, you can flip that display setting briefly to take a look. Go into your unit settings, and there is a toggle for displaying the battery level in "Energy" or "Distance". On the battery display, that toggles between showing % or the rated km. But also on that charging screen, it will flip to showing that charging speed in kW instead of km/hour.

I see in the picture it's not showing the charging speed in kW. Instead, it's showing it as 85 km/hour. If you want to take a look, you can flip that display setting briefly to take a look. Go into your unit settings, and there is a toggle for displaying the battery level in "Energy" or "Distance". On the battery display, that toggles between showing % or the rated km. But also on that charging screen, it will flip to showing that charging speed in kW instead of km/hour.

Doesn't the displayed 16A @ 240V already answer that question? Seems like charging from ~20% SOC to 100% would take longer than 4 hours for any model though if only charging at 3.8kW, so I'm sure there are things I don't understand about how this works with 3 phase power and what's presented on the screen.

It’s showing 11 kWh, as you said.

So it’s correct?

C9CFA873-3C03-4ED8-8194-F060E09D42C6.jpeg

Thanks!

I don't think the Tesla on-board chargers (or the HPWC) can handle more than about 277V AC.

DC fast charge/Supercharging is different as it bypasses the onboard chargers and goes directly to the pack without having to get converted from AC to DC.

• Informative