Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 wall charger now on the NZ store

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Also remember this includes an RCD so instillation may be cheaper and easier.

This is from the Tesla installation manual:

'Wall Connector features built-in RCD Type A + DC 6mA. The benefit of this protection is that RCD Type B are not required when installing Gen 3 Wall Connectors, consult local regulations on the type of breaker required.'

So, not required but subject to 'local regulations' or just interpretation of them!

Would be interested to know if anyone gets a Gen3 what the NZ Sparky interpretation is. I'm considering it although we are only in a rental property until we make a decision on staying in the area. I don't want to pay for 2 installations inc 2 Type B RCDs!

'Wall Connector features built-in RCD Type A + DC 6mA. The benefit of this protection is that RCD Type B are not required when installing Gen 3 Wall Connectors, consult local regulations on the type of breaker required.'

So, not required but subject to 'local regulations' or just interpretation of them!

Would be interested to know if anyone gets a Gen3 what the NZ Sparky interpretation is. I'm considering it although we are only in a rental property until we make a decision on staying in the area. I don't want to pay for 2 installations inc 2 Type B RCDs!
We are installing multiple Gen 3 TWC's every week, as an approved Tesla Installer. We are not installing RCD Type B. As noted Tesla has confirmed the DC filtering is now built into the Gen 3 TWC's Regards Howard AB Electrical

We are installing multiple Gen 3 TWC's every week, as an approved Tesla Installer. We are not installing RCD Type B. As noted Tesla has confirmed the DC filtering is now built into the Gen 3 TWC's Regards Howard AB Electrical
Thanks for the confirmation @AB Electrical . When this lockdown is over (or at least over enough) I am moving to a new place and will contact a local Tesla approved installer in Wellington to get a TWC install.

I'm waiting to receive my Gen 3 wall connector. They won't ship it until the level 4 lockdown ends in Auckland.

Had anyone who has installed the Gen 3 wall connector with a Type2 connector tried using it with as another - non-Tesla EV? It's supposed to be supported now. I have the Gen 2 wall connector and it's been a minor annoyance needing have a separate 32amp EVSE to charge our non-Tesla EVs.

I had installation by AB electronics... very professional and tidy guys. reasonable pricing.
I am glad I had it installed before lockdown started

I use a Gen 2 wall charger for my Model 3 (2019).

I just placed an order for a Model Y, and am looking at a second charger for it, with load sharing.
The Tesla documentation says the Gen 3 does not support Gen 2 load sharing :(

My options:
1. Buy another Gen 2 wall charger (maybe secondhand...).
2. Sell my Gen 2 wall charger and Buy two Gen 3 wall chargers.

Is anyone else doing the same or have an opinion?