Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 wall charger now on the NZ store

RobDickinson

Jun 23, 2019
New Zealand

Also remember this includes an RCD so instillation may be cheaper and easier.

khayyam

Jun 26, 2019
Auckland
If it really doesn't need a type B RCD for NZ installation that would make a big difference. But tbh I'm skeptical, given that a type B RCD in NZ costs almost as much as the wall charger...

zl22222222

Nov 29, 2019
New Zealand
The built-in RCD is Type A + 6ma. Not sure if it's up to standard as to exempt the installation of a Type B RCD. In terms of protection, Type B is better than Type A.

khayyam

Jun 26, 2019
Auckland
yeah me either not a sparky, and afik the type B RCD is only recommended/best practice not required by law.?
Yeah I think that's right, though it seems that all sparkies insist on installing one. Even if the gen 3 HPWC doesn't actually need a type B RCD, if the recommendations don't reflect it, NZ sparkies may still insist on installing one.

Perksy

Jun 11, 2021
New Zealand
This is from the Tesla installation manual:

'Wall Connector features built-in RCD Type A + DC 6mA. The benefit of this protection is that RCD Type B are not required when installing Gen 3 Wall Connectors, consult local regulations on the type of breaker required.'

So, not required but subject to 'local regulations' or just interpretation of them!

Would be interested to know if anyone gets a Gen3 what the NZ Sparky interpretation is. I'm considering it although we are only in a rental property until we make a decision on staying in the area. I don't want to pay for 2 installations inc 2 Type B RCDs!

AB Electrical

Aug 19, 2021
Auckland

'Wall Connector features built-in RCD Type A + DC 6mA. The benefit of this protection is that RCD Type B are not required when installing Gen 3 Wall Connectors, consult local regulations on the type of breaker required.'

So, not required but subject to 'local regulations' or just interpretation of them!

Would be interested to know if anyone gets a Gen3 what the NZ Sparky interpretation is. I'm considering it although we are only in a rental property until we make a decision on staying in the area. I don't want to pay for 2 installations inc 2 Type B RCDs!
We are installing multiple Gen 3 TWC's every week, as an approved Tesla Installer. We are not installing RCD Type B. As noted Tesla has confirmed the DC filtering is now built into the Gen 3 TWC's Regards Howard AB Electrical

Perksy

Jun 11, 2021
New Zealand
We are installing multiple Gen 3 TWC's every week, as an approved Tesla Installer. We are not installing RCD Type B. As noted Tesla has confirmed the DC filtering is now built into the Gen 3 TWC's Regards Howard AB Electrical
Thanks for the confirmation @AB Electrical . When this lockdown is over (or at least over enough) I am moving to a new place and will contact a local Tesla approved installer in Wellington to get a TWC install.

Linuxluver

Sep 9, 2017
Auckland

I'm waiting to receive my Gen 3 wall connector. They won't ship it until the level 4 lockdown ends in Auckland.

Linuxluver

Sep 9, 2017
Auckland
Had anyone who has installed the Gen 3 wall connector with a Type2 connector tried using it with as another - non-Tesla EV? It's supposed to be supported now. I have the Gen 2 wall connector and it's been a minor annoyance needing have a separate 32amp EVSE to charge our non-Tesla EVs.

Audietron

Sep 20, 2021
New Zealand
I had installation by AB electronics... very professional and tidy guys. reasonable pricing.
I am glad I had it installed before lockdown started

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC