Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone heard news on when the new Gen 3 wall chargers are expected to have the power sharing feature enabled?

I'm also curious on how we'll get notified of when a software update gets released. For now, I'm just periodically connecting to the wall connector wifi SSID and checking to see if the firmware version has changed.

Do you have your WC connected to your home wifi? If so, you can connect to it just by going directly to the ip address it connects to your home wifi with.

As an aside, i have two Gen 3 WCs and they're on different firmware versions - one is on 0.8.52 and the other is on 0.8.4. I ordered both right when they were released - one is an 8.5' and the other 18'. They had slightly different manuals with them (one has the QR code, the other does not). I haven't seen a way to make them update. I'm not sure how long they've been different, whether they always were or one updated. The later version one shows up on my network as TeslaWallConnector, with support for Bonjour, Web Interface, and Pingable, whereas the earlier one shows no ID and no Bonjour support. Nonetheless, I'm still not seeing a power sharing option on either.

Anyone heard news on when the new Gen 3 wall chargers are expected to have the power sharing feature enabled? I'm also curious on how we'll get notified of when a software update gets released. For now, I'm just periodically connecting to the wall connector wifi SSID and checking to see if the firmware version has changed.

They do not update you when firmware is updated. Power sharing is supported now - only between V3 wall chargers.

I bought two of the gen 3s expecting the power balancing be implemented, but it has been over a year and this feature has not been released yet. The previous generation had it for years, but Tesla stop selling it prior to fully baking this new gen 3. I am starting suspect that this is not a software issue, but a bad planned hardware design, that can't be fixed via a firmware update.

I just checked to see if a new firmware was pushed and noticed that a different version was released. One is now on version 21.8.0, while the second one is still on 1.4.4. Checking for updates indicates that they are both updated, but it is obvious there is a newer version out there. Both were purchased about the same time and end with a F part number.

Reactions: blecchus_rex
I bought two of the gen 3s expecting the power balancing be implemented, but it has been over a year and this feature has not been released yet. The previous generation had it for years, but Tesla stop selling it prior to fully baking this new gen 3. I am starting suspect that this is not a software issue, but a bad planned hardware design, that can't be fixed via a firmware update.
I’m in the same boat. Let us know if you see any differences in the new firmware

Reactions: blecchus_rex
I didn't notice any differences on the menu options between the unit on 1.4.4 (0) and the one updated to 21.8.0 (0). Checking for updates on the one running 1.4.4 (0) doesn't do anything, so my take is that they are being pushed centrally. Does anyone knows if Tesla has a blog of what is included on each of the Gen 3 releases?

Does anyone knows if Tesla has a blog of what is included on each of the Gen 3 releases?
I would be very interested in that, too. On a hunch, I just played around with the settings. I set "Access Controls" to "Allowed vehicles for charging: Only Tesla", then connected my girlfriends Chevy Bolt and lo and behold, it started charging :mad:. I mean seriously, if you can't detect what is connected then don't offer to only charge Teslas.

The possibility of installing over-the-air upgrades is a blessing and a curse. Sure, it's great that the manufacturer can add functions (or promise to do so... power sharing, anyone?), but it also encourages them to sell something before it's market-ready. The gen3 wall connector just doesn't live up to the hype and I'm glad I can just use it like any other charger for my gf's Bolt while I use my gen2 wall connector.

I'm currently on 1.4.4 (0) and there are no available updates.

Screenshot_2021-05-14-10-02-01.png

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
FWIW, there's a method for updating firmware the installing "offline" wall connectors described here:

I just checked and if you simply substitute a later version string (such as the 21.8.0 described above) for the "1.4.4" in the download URL you'll end up w/ a signed binary. I haven't bothered to actually install it since there's no info suggesting what's new over 1.4.4... so YMMV.

EDIT: I went ahead and uploaded the WC3_21.8.0_firmware.bin.signed file via 192.168.92.1/service (after pressing the button on the handle to get it to advertise its wifi SSID) and received the "success" indication upon completion... alas upon reboot the firmware version remains "1.4.4+ge90410c53c73a4"

So perhaps nothing to see here...

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
FWIW, there's a method for updating firmware the installing "offline" wall connectors described here:

I just checked and if you simply substitute a later version string (such as the 21.8.0 described above) for the "1.4.4" in the download URL you'll end up w/ a signed binary. I haven't bothered to actually install it since there's no info suggesting what's new over 1.4.4... so YMMV.

EDIT: I went ahead and uploaded the WC3_21.8.0_firmware.bin.signed file via 192.168.92.1/service (after pressing the button on the handle to get it to advertise its wifi SSID) and received the "success" indication upon completion... alas upon reboot the firmware version remains "1.4.4+ge90410c53c73a4"

So perhaps nothing to see here...

Whats interesting is, that link you posted for the off line instructions fault codes for the device, and one of the fault codes talks about power sharing, as if that is already enabled / available.

its also interesting to me that there are a few different fault codes for overheating, and they basically say "update the firmware".

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
Whats interesting is, that link you posted for the off line instructions fault codes for the device, and one of the fault codes talks about power sharing, as if that is already enabled / available.

Yep, tantalizing just beyond reach... I wonder if it's in prod firmware but just feature-flagged and canary deployed to a subset to testers. If anyone on the HPWC team is listening I'd like to reiterate (for the 3rd time) my willingness to assist w/ field testing :)

its also interesting to me that there are a few different fault codes for overheating, and they basically say "update the firmware".
I think that's a nod to earlier firmware revisions having fairly well understood overheating issues... so troubleshooting step #1 is update to something that fixes the known problems.

Passing on what I just heard from my favorite electrician who installs many Tesla Wall Connectors (TWC).

He just received the firmware to enable power load sharing between two TWC Gen 3 models. File was sent to him (and other installers) from Tesla in an email attachment a few days ago, not available to public over the air yet.

He setup load sharing on a new pair of TWC Gen 3, communicates via wireless only, no control wires required. Supports up to four TWC Gen 3 at a time right now, and 2 to 4 can power load share up to a single 100 Amp circuit. Each TWC Gen 3 still only outputs 48 Amps each max so won't boost older Model S with dual-chargers. His working theory is that a set of load sharing TWC Gen 3 will replace old/existing installs of paired Tesla destination chargers.

I don't personally have a TWC Gen 3, but I have a pair of load sharing TWC Gen 2.

Passing on what I just heard from my favorite electrician who installs many Tesla Wall Connectors (TWC).

He just received the firmware to enable power load sharing between two TWC Gen 3 models. File was sent to him (and other installers) from Tesla in an email attachment a few days ago, not available to public over the air yet.

I've pointed my favorite electrician at your report in the hope they might too have similar access! If so, it'll have only been 11 months since they were installed that this finally gets enabled!!