Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Wall Charger WPA2/WPA3 compatibility Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wasted several hours trying to figure this out.

Yep, WPA2/WPA3 mixed setting on my Unifi APs was preventing the Gen3 wall connector from connecting.

I even did the manual firmware update procedure to the very latest 22.7.0 and tried again, still would not connect to WPA2/WPA3 mixed AP.

After finding this in the forums, I added a WPA2-only SSID just for the wall connector, and PRESTO! Connected right away.

I've never had any problem connecting any other device to my WPA2/3 wifi, including some relatively ancient devices. How can Tesla not know about this?

Amazing this has not been addressed or fixed or even noted in the official troubleshooting guide since most modern APs come with WPA2/3 mixed as the default now.

I wasted several hours trying to figure this out.

Yep, WPA2/WPA3 mixed setting on my Unifi APs was preventing the Gen3 wall connector from connecting.

I even did the manual firmware update procedure to the very latest 22.7.0 and tried again, still would not connect to WPA2/WPA3 mixed AP.

After finding this in the forums, I added a WPA2-only SSID just for the wall connector, and PRESTO! Connected right away.

I've never had any problem connecting any other device to my WPA2/3 wifi, including some relatively ancient devices. How can Tesla not know about this?

Amazing this has not been addressed or fixed or even noted in the official troubleshooting guide since most modern APs come with WPA2/3 mixed as the default now.
They know. They don’t care.

I know this thread is pretty old but I figured I'd chime in to let you know I just updated my Unifi network tonight to WPA2/WPA3 and my wall connector is reachable. It is on firmware 22.41.2. It does take longer than normal to come back with the page with just the Part Number and Serial Number, but it eventually comes back. It works in an incognito browser too so it isn't a cached page coming back.

I know this thread is pretty old but I figured I'd chime in to let you know I just updated my Unifi network tonight to WPA2/WPA3 and my wall connector is reachable. It is on firmware 22.41.2. It does take longer than normal to come back with the page with just the Part Number and Serial Number, but it eventually comes back. It works in an incognito browser too so it isn't a cached page coming back.
Good to know, could you try WPA3 only?

I selected WPA3 and every wireless connection on my network dropped. I was able to get my phone (Pixel 7) to reconnect by forcing it to try reconnecting again. I couldn't get anything else to come back online, including the wall connector. I did power cycle it and all the APs but it never grabbed an IP address. Neither did my google homes or anything else. Sorry, can't give a definitive yes or no - but I'm going to see if I can switch back and get all my devices back online before the family wakes up tomorrow.

UPDATE: It all came back as soon as I toggled back to WPA3/WPA2. No more experiments for me tonight.

I tried different settings myself and so far have found the following to work ...
1st - set my wifi security solely on "WPA2 Personal"
2nd - set my 2.4GHz wifi mode to only "802.11b+g+n"
3rd - set my wifi security back to "WPA2/WPA3 Personal"
No expert / not entirely sure why this works for me ... my feeling is the older 802.11b+g+n wifi protocols only support WPA2 ... so the 1st & 2nd steps above allow the Gen3 to connect to the wifi. The 3rd step I feel then allows my 5GHz wifi to use WPA3 on 802.11a+n+ac+ax. Not sure what will happen if we have a power failure, etc - will I need to reset it all again???, but for now it is working

Tested this again just now with 2023.26.9 on a 2023 MYLR. WPA3-PSK (SAE) only based networks are not even found/displayed on the dialog. WPA2-PSK only connected immediately to phone hotspot. WPA2/WPA3 mixed mode is pointless from a security standpoint, as an attacker can utilize the WPA2 security holes in this mode.

Really, really, really disappointed in Tesla's ignoring of this issue. High technology company my left foot...............

• Informative
Reactions: TBrownTX
Just to make things more confusing… I shifted my IoT SSID (2.4 GHz only) to WPA2/WPA3 transition mode and all my Wall Connectors dropped. Doing the whole 5-second button press, local WiFi to change the WiFi settings didn’t work.

Then… I switched the Wall Connectors to my Guest SSID (2.4 GHz + 5 GHz) that I thought was WPA2-Personal only and it worked! But it turns out it’s also WPA2/WPA3?!?!?

No idea why it works on one WPA2/WPA3 SSID but not the other. 🤷🏻

Thankfully, I have RADIUS assigned VLANs setup, so I had the Guest SSID dump them back onto the IoT VLAN.

• Informative
Reactions: TBrownTX
Just to make things more confusing… I shifted my IoT SSID (2.4 GHz only) to WPA2/WPA3 transition mode and all my Wall Connectors dropped. Doing the whole 5-second button press, local WiFi to change the WiFi settings didn’t work.

Then… I switched the Wall Connectors to my Guest SSID (2.4 GHz + 5 GHz) that I thought was WPA2-Personal only and it worked! But it turns out it’s also WPA2/WPA3?!?!?

No idea why it works on one WPA2/WPA3 SSID but not the other. 🤷🏻

Thankfully, I have RADIUS assigned VLANs setup, so I had the Guest SSID dump them back onto the IoT VLAN.
Update: WPA2/WPA3 transition mode doesn’t work with the Wall Connectors. I did an AP firmware update and the Wall Connectors dropped off.

I now have to create a dedicated WPA2-Personal SSID for the Wall Connectors. 😡