Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Wall Charger WPA2/WPA3 compatibility Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
one thing maybe worth trying, I've seen it fix other IOT type devices.
Looks like it needs 2.4G instead of 5G
Make sure your wifi is only running 2.4G, most newer wifi routers will enable 2.4/5 in "seamless" mode so it presents a single network.
Disable the 5G while you're trying to get the charger connected. Once its connected you should be able to re-enable the 5G again.

At home I ended up creating a network just for IOT devices and made it 2.4G only, made it much easier.

That IP will only work while you're connected to the Wall Connector's built-in WiFi network that it broadcasts, it won't work while you're connected to your home WiFi. The build-in network is the one that you need to be connected to to commission it. You don't need to have it successfully connected to your home WiFi in order to get charging to work, you just need to connect to the Wall Connector's built-in WiFi, visit http://192.168.92.1, and select your correct region/amperage. Then you can use it to charge.

Have you power cycled the wall connector (turn the breaker off for 30 seconds or so and then re-energize it)? That should put it back to "out-of-box" mode and it should broadcast the built in WiFi again (if I recall correctly it stops after a handful of minutes). Maybe that's why you're not getting to the commissioning page.
Finally got it commissioned. Must enter codes with ALL CAPS, apparently. Now I hope it works when I use it for first time arriving home with 10% charge miles from nowhere.

Just installed a Wall Connector for my upcoming Plaid X. I have a Unifi network and had to create a separate SSID that uses only WPA2 because WPA2/WPA3 transition doesn't work for it. Its weird because on WPA2, I set PMF to optional just like transition mode as well as Group Key Interval - it just doesn't like transition mode. It muse be SAE Sync time or anti-clogging since that is now the only difference.

What's more frustrating is that many older wpa2 devices work perfectly fine with transition mode. I have 70 wifi enabled devices on my network with several older 2.4ghz devices and this is the only device that won't accept transition mode.

Manual clearly says:

Wall Connector only supports WPA2/3-secured, 2.4 GHz, 802.11 infrastructure mode networks. NOTE: Hidden networks are supported.
NOTE: WPA enterprise will be supported in a future firmware update.

Has anyone tried WPA3 only? I wonder if that works.

Just installed a Wall Connector for my upcoming Plaid X. I have a Unifi network and had to create a separate SSID that uses only WPA2 because WPA2/WPA3 transition doesn't work for it. Its weird because on WPA2, I set PMF to optional just like transition mode as well as Group Key Interval - it just doesn't like transition mode. It muse be SAE Sync time or anti-clogging since that is now the only difference.

What's more frustrating is that many older wpa2 devices work perfectly fine with transition mode. I have 70 wifi enabled devices on my network with several older 2.4ghz devices and this is the only device that won't accept transition mode.
My network setup is Ubiquiti stuff as well. Even with the latest firmware update there’s still no support for WPA2/3. Has to be WPA2 only.

I have a UniFi network as well and my 24’ wall connector with 21.36.5 only connects to my network with WPA2, not WPA2/3. Of 80+ devices, my two gen 3 wall connectors are the only ones having connectivity issues. Interestingly 21.36.5 is not available for download yet. My 8.5’ gen 3 connector runs 21.36.4.

I have a UniFi network as well and my 24’ wall connector with 21.36.5 only connects to my network with WPA2, not WPA2/3. Of 80+ devices, my two gen 3 wall connectors are the only ones having connectivity issues. Interestingly 21.36.5 is not available for download yet. My 8.5’ gen 3 connector runs 21.36.4.
I upgraded the firmware of my wall connector to 21.36.6. I had to do it manually, uploading the BIN file to the TWC. It still would not connect to my UniFi network. I have two SSIDs, one for 2.4 GHz and one for 5 GHz, both set at WPA2/3 mixed mode. I'd really like to run at WPA3 exclusively, but would probably lock out a lot of devices.

My workaround was to go into UniFi and provision a new SSID, set it to WPA2 only, then apply an allow list MAC filter. I connected the TWC to the new SSID, and it happily connected without issue. By applying the TWC's MAC address to the allow list for my new SSID, it ensures that even if someone guessed my ridiculously long password, they cannot connect to that endpoint.

I was disappointed to see that 21.36.6 did NOT fix this problem, despite it being a known issue for quite some time now.

Understandably most folks will not have this problem, but the Wall Charger Must have WPA2. Living in the country we have No WPA2 on our network, and the Wall Charger therefore does not see the SSID, and if you try to manually put in the SSID, it will Not connect without a WPA2. (Nice phone talk to Tesla confirming this). My work around was to make hotspot on iPad which has WPA2, and Wall Charger connected fine to update it.

Reactions: Ramphex and Prairie
Is anyone else's Gen 3 Wall Charger failing to connect to any network that's WPA2/WPA3 or just WPA3? The manual states that it supports it, but in real world testing, it does not. The charger ONLY connects to WiFi when I set the network to WPA2 only.

Wall charger is on firmware 1.4.2-0 and refuses to update to 1.4.4. Does WPA2/WPA3 work on 1.4.4?

Screen shot from the manual:
View attachment 696268
Thanks for the post. The answer is do not use WPA3 ! It now connects just fine once I changed my wifi mesh (eero) back to WPA2. And by the way don’t use Safari either. Chrome works fine. Your help saved us from a nightmare. Cheers.

I tried it again and WPA3 support is still missing, it sees the SSID but will not establish a connection to it until you disable WPA3 back to WPA2
I am having similar problem, Connects to wifi but no internet! installed TP-link mess, signal looks srong but no connection and not charging. There are solid red, amber and green light always on! Have tried everything, can't work out what I am missing in process. Tesla not being helpful at all! See photos, please let me know if any thoughts.

Attachments

• 20220905_161300.jpg
    20220905_161300.jpg
    484.9 KB · Views: 202
  • Screenshot_20220905-151731_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220905-151731_Chrome.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 63
I am having similar problem, Connects to wifi but no internet! installed TP-link mess, signal looks srong but no connection and not charging. There are solid red, amber and green light always on! Have tried everything, can't work out what I am missing in process. Tesla not being helpful at all! See photos, please let me know if any thoughts.
Is your network WPA3 or WPA2/WPA3 mixed by any chance?

Reactions: TBrownTX
Hi, I was just about to write! Yesterday I manged to sort it out! I think I did what you mean, set up the max current! just needed to add the country and setup the max current, I thought it picks up the UK automatically! I am very happy and but also feeling like a fool to miss such a simple step😂! Thank you very much for your support.

Reactions: Ramphex