Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Wall Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Newer Teslas, not sure when change was made, maximum AC charging rate is 48 Amps, regardless of Wall Connector generation. Of course Super Charging rates are much higher.

As I understand, some older models with proper optioning, could charge at 72 Amps. I have a gen 2 Wall Connector and the internal programming inside of it is set by a rotary switch up to 80 Amps output, which would require a 100 Amp circuit and breaker. In my case I wired it with an 80 Amp circuit, however set the internal switch for 48 Amp output since that is the limit of my 2019 Model X. Also the maximum you can set on the charging screen in the car is 48 Amps.

When I visit my sister in law in SoCal, I use her dryer plug, which is a 30 Amp circuit. The geo-code sets the car for 24 Amps when I arrive at her home, and use the Mobile Connector.

Is it possible to "commission" the charger multiple times ??

I have an application that requires a lesser amp draw in the Winter. I know I can turn it down from the car but I don't know if I have to do it every time I charge. If I could raise and lower the draw as needed for the connector it would be easier.
I just ran into this very problem, except that I wanted to change the max current from 48 A to 32 A during the summer. When I asked Tesla about this, the tech told me that it is not possible to change the settings after the unit has been commissioned. That didn't make any sense to me since people move and may have to adjust the settings rather than buy a whole new charger. So I called BS on their response, tried a few things and found out that it is in fact possible to re-commission the unit.

If you set up the WiFi so you can access the TWC via your home network, you can't change anything anymore, not even the WiFi password. In order to re-commission the TWC, you need to hold down the button on the handle for 5 seconds and then connect to the TWC's internal hotspot. Enter "http://192.168.92.1" into your browser and you'll see the menu. As long as you are connected to the internal hotspot, you are allowed to make changes. Once you finish the setup, it will switch back to your home WiFi and everything is blocked again.

I hope this helps.

I just ran into this very problem, except that I wanted to change the max current from 48 A to 32 A during the summer. When I asked Tesla about this, the tech told me that it is not possible to change the settings after the unit has been commissioned. That didn't make any sense to me since people move and may have to adjust the settings rather than buy a whole new charger. So I called BS on their response, tried a few things and found out that it is in fact possible to re-commission the unit.

If you set up the WiFi so you can access the TWC via your home network, you can't change anything anymore, not even the WiFi password. In order to re-commission the TWC, you need to hold down the button on the handle for 5 seconds and then connect to the TWC's internal hotspot. Enter "http://192.168.92.1" into your browser and you'll see the menu. As long as you are connected to the internal hotspot, you are allowed to make changes. Once you finish the setup, it will switch back to your home WiFi and everything is blocked again.

I hope this helps.
You don't even have to do the reset. Just find out what the IP addr of the HPWC and you can get to the config page. I use my router settings to determine the HPWC addr.

Reactions: Watts_Up
I even assigned an IP address to the HPWC and I was able to access the config page without problems. I just wasn't able to change any settings after that. Sorry if that wasn't clear from my last post.

I would be interested to hear though if others can change the breaker setting while they are connected through their routers. I definitely wasn't. I have to be connected to the HPWC's access point in order to make changes.

Reactions: Watts_Up
I even assigned an IP address to the HPWC and I was able to access the config page without problems. I just wasn't able to change any settings after that. Sorry if that wasn't clear from my last post.

I would be interested to hear though if others can change the breaker setting while they are connected through their routers. I definitely wasn't. I have to be connected to the HPWC's access point in order to make changes.
Well shucks. I guess I never attempted changing the amperage. Same for me.