Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Wall Connector 3 red blinks fault code

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe that return label is for you to return your unit once the new one arrives. If I were you I would call them once a week for an update. Like I said earlier I waited for a whole month before I called them back and they said they never followed up and sent the new one out. So I would call just to check on it.

Glad yours is working well. I tried mine again last night after getting the new firmware (1.3.0). On the plus side, it maintained 37-40A throughout the entire 4 hours of charging, but as before it only stayed at 48A for the first 30 minutes or so unfortunately.

Do you mind linking or messaging me the # you called? I’m having the same issue and Tesla support has been unresponsive to email.
Hi All,
We own a model Y for close to one month with no charging issue up until last night (6/28). Gen 3 Wall Connector stopped charging due to overheating (3 red blinks) fault code exactly 30 minutes after initial charge in three separate occasions (at 12:30 AM, 8:20 AM, and 8:50 AM). No issue charging with regular mobile 110V plug. Called Tesla support and was told to contact electrician / installer to make sure that proper conduit and wiring were installed before calling charging support at 510-249-2490.

Electrician came and checked to make sure all connections were secured properly and called charging support, Was told that the new firmware would fix this issue. My old firmware was 0.8.4+g8984eea7a4b342 and the new firmware is 0.8.54+g46f395de1d5760. As per tesla's request, I waited for 2 hours after the firmware update before recharging the car. if this doesn't work, tesla is going to send mobile service to replace the charger. Will keep you posted.

I had the same experience. After two months my well connector started blinking red three times. It had the latest software. Fortunately, someone on this site posted the phone number at Tesla to call because normally you can't communicate with anybody at Tesla except by computer which I resent. This was the first time I had a positive customer service experience with them. My new unit arrived within two weeks and I packed up the old one in the same box and shipped it out with their mailing label. Hopefully, I will not experience this problem again.

I believe that return label is for you to return your unit once the new one arrives. If I were you I would call them once a week for an update. Like I said earlier I waited for a whole month before I called them back and they said they never followed up and sent the new one out. So I would call just to check on it.
Yup. I'm just assuming they wouldn't send out a return label email if they weren't also sending a new unit?

Glad yours is working well. I tried mine again last night after getting the new firmware (1.3.0). On the plus side, it maintained 37-40A throughout the entire 4 hours of charging, but as before it only stayed at 48A for the first 30 minutes or so unfortunately.
Just checked mine, still has original firmware. Does it update by itself or do I have to do something ?

Tesla tech sent me this email today.

I wanted to take a moment to respond before I leave for the weekend. It looks like our case is still being reviewed for a replacement, but I went ahead and staged another (new) firmware 1.3.0 that will eliminate most of the fold back (adjusted amperage), if all. Please let me know how your unit takes to it. It will roll through once you are able to leave vehicle unplugged for 2-3 hours.

Reactions: StrangerDanger
Just as a heads up to all but my Gen 3 charger dropped off my network again which is the same issue I had with my first unit before sending it back. I left the unit off overnight and turned it back on this morning and it got back on my WIFI. I see the firmware is now 1.3.0+gccd303ce7618ed

The web interface is the same so I dont see anything updated but sounds like a big update based on the number change.

Just received this from Tesla support about getting latest firmware:

I have also attached instructions for you to be able to get connected to your unit. After you have proceeded with getting unit connected to your home Wi-Fi make sure you leave Wall Connector unplugged from the car for two hours. After the two hours reset the breaker and attempt to charge, if you still have the same charging interrupted give us a call back.

Here are the steps you would use to connect to the Wall Connector Broadcast and Commission the Wall Connector.

Sign into the Wall Connector broadcast by first resetting the Wall Connector breaker for at least 5 seconds, and cycling it back on.

This will start the Wall Connector broadcast. The broadcast is only visible for 5 minutes. If you are not successful in connecting to the broadcast, you may need to reset it again to restart the broadcast.

Search in your Wi-Fi networks for the signal:

The Wall Connector Password is: It is case sensitive (all CAPS)

Once you have signed into the broadcast, then sign into a Chrome, Firefox or Safari page 192.168.92.1 to see the Wall Connector Commissioning page.

Here is the link to the online support page with the information to add the Wi-Fi network in and commission the wall connector:

Installing a Wall Connector

Once you are logged in, follow these steps to change network settings:

Step 1: Select the breaker size, click next or continue

Step 2: Select your home Wi-Fi network and enter your Password

Step 3: Complete the commissioning.

Step 4: If you get a message that shows that it is partially configured go back through and change the breaker to a smaller breaker size and complete the commissioning. Then complete the commissioning again with the correct breaker size and it should now show that the system is fully configured.

Hi All,
We own a model Y for close to one month with no charging issue up until last night (6/28). Gen 3 Wall Connector stopped charging due to overheating (3 red blinks) fault code exactly 30 minutes after initial charge in three separate occasions (at 12:30 AM, 8:20 AM, and 8:50 AM). No issue charging with regular mobile 110V plug. Called Tesla support and was told to contact electrician / installer to make sure that proper conduit and wiring were installed before calling charging support at 510-249-2490.

Electrician came and checked to make sure all connections were secured properly and called charging support, Was told that the new firmware would fix this issue. My old firmware was 0.8.4+g8984eea7a4b342 and the new firmware is 0.8.54+g46f395de1d5760. As per tesla's request, I waited for 2 hours after the firmware update before recharging the car. if this doesn't work, tesla is going to send mobile service to replace the charger. Will keep you posted.
Hi All,

We've had the same experience. New Gen 3 charger, 50 amp breaker, #6 wire, set for 40 amp charge. Worked perfectly for 7 weeks and then on September 12th started the 3 red blinks with a cutback to 20 amp charging. Charger is warm but not hot. Have read the complete thread but still not certain as to the solution. Is it hardware or firmware? Seems some people install new units that subsequently fail while others see a firmware update as the issue. I'm surprised that Tesla hasn't pinpointed it.

Just got off the phone with tech support and said he was pushing out the 1.30 update to my connector, but that this will NOT be the final solution. However, the new update will allow me to charge at a higher rate (i.e. 32 amps). He said I will need to wait for 2 weeks to get an email with a return label THEN a week later I would receive the new connector unless some other issue is found with my charger; in that case, I would get a phone call within a week.

The reason for the long process is that Tesla needs to confirm with the manufacture of the connector that the new unit being sent to me will not fail like the first one. Sounds like a manufacturing defect that will NOT be fixed with a software update.:mad:

Just got off the phone with tech support and said he was pushing out the 1.30 update to my connector, but that this will NOT be the final solution. However, the new update will allow me to charge at a higher rate (i.e. 32 amps). He said I will need to wait for 2 weeks to get an email with a return label THEN a week later I would receive the new connector unless some other issue is found with my charger; in that case, I would get a phone call within a week.

The reason for the long process is that Tesla needs to confirm with the manufacture of the connector that the new unit being sent to me will not fail like the first one. Sounds like a manufacturing defect that will NOT be fixed with a software update.:mad:
This was my experience. The new one showed up at the door a few days after I got a return label email.

Last night and this afternoon my charger has started the dreaded 3 red blinks fault code and reduces charging to 6kW. If I remove the charger and reconnect it reduces to 1kW!!!. Normal service is 11kW at 48A. It was working fine for the first 9 days I've owned the car. The charger seems to work fine for about 45-60 minutes then reduces power. The unit doesn't feel hot to the touch and if I leave it alone for a few hours it returns to 11kW charging.

Wall Connector Firmware: 0.8.58+g2f475f6c93fd79

Another huge issue I've found is that there is no way to contact Tesla support on the weekends. I've tried calling and filling out their support document online and both have said Tesla support is closed and have either hung up or won't let you submit the form.

Last edited: