Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Wall Connector 3 red blinks fault code

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got off the phone with tech support and said he was pushing out the 1.30 update to my connector, but that this will NOT be the final solution. However, the new update will allow me to charge at a higher rate (i.e. 32 amps). He said I will need to wait for 2 weeks to get an email with a return label THEN a week later I would receive the new connector unless some other issue is found with my charger; in that case, I would get a phone call within a week.

The reason for the long process is that Tesla needs to confirm with the manufacture of the connector that the new unit being sent to me will not fail like the first one. Sounds like a manufacturing defect that will NOT be fixed with a software update.:mad:

Are you calling or emailing support? I can't seem to get a hold of anyone on the weekends.

Just got off the phone with Tesla Home Charging Support. They said there's a known issue with firmware 0.8.58 and I'll need the latest firmware update.

To force the update all I had to do was flip the breaker for 1min then you'll see a green pulsing light on the wall connector. The update takes around 3 hours and the connector will not work while updating.

I'll report back after my three hours is up but I wanted to get this out there since I saw a few people asking how to force an update on the wall connector.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lozzy
To add some clarity to the above posts for future readers...

It is the call to Tesla and the conversation which encourages them to push the latest software to your Wall Connector that gets it downloaded, not the flipping of the breaker and waiting 3 hours. Those are necessary steps to get the new firmware loaded and functional in the Wall Connector, but those steps without the phone call will not result in a firmware update.

I've tried it both ways and only the way that includes the phone call actually does anything.

• Helpful
Reactions: frankvb
Quick question, does the Wall Charger slow down when charging above 90% ? I have always gotten 48/48 in the past but always stopped at 90%. Today I am charging to 100% because I have a trip tomorrow and as soon as it got above 90% it started slowing down to 37/48, but still green lights. Is this normal ?

Quick question, does the Wall Charger slow down when charging above 90% ? I have always gotten 48/48 in the past but always stopped at 90%. Today I am charging to 100% because I have a trip tomorrow and as soon as it got above 90% it started slowing down to 37/48, but still green lights. Is this normal ?

Based on my limited battery knowledge it's normal when approaching 100%. I haven't noticed this at home but on the SuperCharger it did slow from 90 to 100. You can't cram electrons in the battery at the same speed when you're approaching 100% capacity.

Reactions: mcorf
Yes, it's normal, and I answered it in the thread you created to ask this same question:
Wall Charger Speed for Full Charge

Reactions: mcorf
I was experiencing the same dreaded 3 red light flashing issue with my wall charger. I called Tesla @(510) 249-2490 [option 2] and within 2 weeks I received my replacement wall charger. I switched it out last night and it works as designed now. The process was fairly simple and painless. I know Tesla gets a lot of crap from a lot of us, but this was an easy and painless process.

I was experiencing the same dreaded 3 red light flashing issue with my wall charger. I called Tesla @(510) 249-2490 [option 2] and within 2 weeks I received my replacement wall charger. I switched it out last night and it works as designed now. The process was fairly simple and painless. I know Tesla gets a lot of crap from a lot of us, but this was an easy and painless process.

How did they determine you needed a new unit vs the new firmware?

Mine has been working great all week since updating to 1.3.0

How did they determine you needed a new unit vs the new firmware?

Mine has been working great all week since updating to 1.3.0

I think they were able to see that I already had the latest firmware installed. Also, once I provided the serial number from the unit, they immediately identified that mine was amongst the "bad batch" of wall chargers to experience this problem.

Mine is working fine, but I called just to get the new firmware pushed to me. The guy was very nice and said that I was showing no errors and that the 1.3.0 was only for people having issues with the overheating. Since mine was working fine they recommended me keeping mine where it is.He said when an update is released for everyone it will be pushed out automatically.

• Informative
Reactions: frankvb
The update worked for about a week. Now getting reduced charge at 8kW. The wall connector doesn't show the error this time but the car warns that it's charging at a reduced level. Always happens on the weekends when no one from Tesla is around to help.

Now I've gotta sit until Monday...

Tesla tech sent me this email today.

I wanted to take a moment to respond before I leave for the weekend. It looks like our case is still being reviewed for a replacement, but I went ahead and staged another (new) firmware 1.3.0 that will eliminate most of the fold back (adjusted amperage), if all. Please let me know how your unit takes to it. It will roll through once you are able to leave vehicle unplugged for 2-3 hours.

Just got my wall connector today. Came with firmware 0.8.55+gf94eafcd564fe0. Haven't driven the car so I cannot attest to the charging behavior but will see this weekend.

FYI, I haven't seen the problem reappear (yet) with my replacement WC. It's still on 0.8.58. I don't plan on asking them to upgrade it unless I see a problem come up.

If you 'log into' your Wall Connecter can you post your serial number? Curious to see where they're at.

I'm still waiting to hear back from lvl 2 tech. Came out this morning to the blinking reds again today. Luckily the charging had finished by my standard departure time.