Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Wall Connector 3 red blinks fault code

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,
We own a model Y for close to one month with no charging issue up until last night (6/28). Gen 3 Wall Connector stopped charging due to overheating (3 red blinks) fault code exactly 30 minutes after initial charge in three separate occasions (at 12:30 AM, 8:20 AM, and 8:50 AM). No issue charging with regular mobile 110V plug. Called Tesla support and was told to contact electrician / installer to make sure that proper conduit and wiring were installed before calling charging support at 510-249-2490.

Electrician came and checked to make sure all connections were secured properly and called charging support, Was told that the new firmware would fix this issue. My old firmware was 0.8.4+g8984eea7a4b342 and the new firmware is 0.8.54+g46f395de1d5760. As per tesla's request, I waited for 2 hours after the firmware update before recharging the car. if this doesn't work, tesla is going to send mobile service to replace the charger. Will keep you posted.

• Informative
Reactions: empiredown
I also have a Gen3 charger and it runs 10-20 minutes before error code 006296 Charging Interrupted occurs. This has been going on since I got the MY two weeks ago. Had an electrician go over it this morning and could find no problem. The breaker doesn't trip. Contacted Tesla and they wanted the error code and some exact times when it happened. I gave them the info and now I'm waiting to see what to do next.

I also have a Gen3 charger and it runs 10-20 minutes before error code 006296 Charging Interrupted occurs. This has been going on since I got the MY two weeks ago. Had an electrician go over it this morning and could find no problem. The breaker doesn't trip. Contacted Tesla and they wanted the error code and some exact times when it happened. I gave them the info and now I'm waiting to see what to do next.

I had no problem charging after latest firmware update. However, just to be sure I had my electrician talked to Tesla hotline and discussed the wiring and setup and such. Based on the information that my electrician provided, Tesla concluded that latest firmware fixed the problem and installation was not the issue. If firmware doesnt work, I have to make a service appointment with Mobile Service to come to my house and swap the Charger.

I had no problem charging after latest firmware update. However, just to be sure I had my electrician talked to Tesla hotline and discussed the wiring and setup and such. Based on the information that my electrician provided, Tesla concluded that latest firmware fixed the problem and installation was not the issue. If firmware doesnt work, I have to make a service appointment with Mobile Service to come to my house and swap the Charger.
I was reading the reply to my comment and I realized what I thought was an error code value was actually the last six characters of my VIN.

• Helpful
Reactions: VT_EE
When I got my Model 3, I had issues with the particular adapter I was using (14-30). This was about a year after release of the 3 and the engineers were very interested to see the issues. They sent me new adapter(s) and they fixed the issue. Fortunately I could still charge with the normal 120V adapter and was on vacation most of the duration that it took Tesla to respond. New adapter fixed the issue.

I guess I should have paid more attention to the Gen3 QuickStart guide. I thought it was just for the electrician. Anyway, now I know it is to be connected to my home wifi. Once I did that, a tech out of Sarasota updated the Gen3 software and my "charging Interrupted" errors are gone. Very impressed with Tesla service.

Reactions: empiredown
This thread is great! I have a Gen 1 or 2 with my Model S, but getting a Gen 3 installed tomorrow. Saw the WiFi enabled and the manual, but I too just assumed it was a nice to have and skipped over it. Will definitely set it up tomorrow!

I'm also having issues with 3 red blinks high temperature. Ramps to 16 amps or so then drops to zero and repeats. Rinse and repeat. Had my Y for over a week now with no issues in hot garage. What's the issue?

So charging was interrupted about 2 hours after being parked last night. The unit was definitely warm, but we have had it working at 48A without issue since 6/25 taking delivery. I unplugged, turned the breaker off and on, and tried again. The car would get up to 16 or 17A then drop all the way down to zero and go through this same cycle over and over. I think I eventually got it to work by getting in the car triggering the A/C then plugging in again? FWIW, I do have the latest firmware installed ending in 5760 via other threads. It stopped again three red blinks as I got into bed around 10pm, and I did the same thing to get it to finish to 90%.

This morning, I manually pushed the SOC to 100% to see if there were any issues with three red blinks for high temperature. Went with no problem. Unit obviously didn't get as hot because the charge tapers at that high SOC and the wife had scheduled departure on.

One interesting thing to note...according to Tezlab, my Y has or is now charging at 44mph...which is above the stated 42mph for the MY on the Wall Connector webpage. It's stated that only M3 charges at 44mph. Attached are screenshots of last night's charging when I finally got it to work.

The real test will be tonight when the wife gets back home with about 60% SOC and we plug back in and the max 48A kicks in again and for how long it can go hopefully without getting the error. Should I be concerned and maybe setup mobile service appointment? We are in Arkansas in a typical hot garage like a lot of people but haven't had any problems until last night.

Screenshot_20200707-061418.jpg Screenshot_20200707-061348.jpg Screenshot_20200707-091627.jpg Screenshot_20200706-220633.jpg Screenshot_20200706-220712.jpg

Be aware that the Gen 3 HPWC maximum current level needs to be set using WiFi. After my Gen 3 was installed, it defaulted to the maximum current setting (50A) even though my circuit was only rated for 40A (with a 50A breaker). I had to use the app to lower the current level to the correct setting. The Gen 2 HPWC didn't behave this way - it has a rotary switch on the inside of the unit that you rotate to the max current your circuit can deliver.

Be aware that the Gen 3 HPWC maximum current level needs to be set using WiFi. After my Gen 3 was installed, it defaulted to the maximum current setting (50A) even though my circuit was only rated for 40A (with a 50A breaker). I had to use the app to lower the current level to the correct setting. The Gen 2 HPWC didn't behave this way - it has a rotary switch on the inside of the unit that you rotate to the max current your circuit can deliver.

You mean max 60A, charging at 48A, not 50A, for the default, right?

My Y has been charging at 48 amps and ever since last Saturday, it's been having the issue. Happened again last night. It'll charge for about 1-1.5 hours and shut off.
I'm still on 2020.20.12 so no changes to the vehicle software.

Tesla “pushed” new firmware but I already had the updated firmware. I called back to tell them that it still didn’t work.

they have sent me a return label to send back the charger and will replace the charger. They want the unit back before they send me a new charger.

Tesla “pushed” new firmware but I already had the updated firmware. I called back to tell them that it still didn’t work.

they have sent me a return label to send back the charger and will replace the charger. They want the unit back before they send me a new charger.

Do you mind linking or messaging me the # you called? I’m having the same issue and Tesla support has been unresponsive to email.