Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Wall Connector 3 red blinks fault code

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I continue to get overheating 3 red blinks errors after less than an hour of charging. The car ramps to about 16A/17A then goes all the way down to 0 and repeats the same process over and over again. I've tried turning on and off the breaker. I've done a hard reset of the vehicle by holding down the brake and steering wheel buttons. My car is on the latest software as of yesterday 2020.24.6.5 and I just noticed the wall Connector has new firmware installed from a few days ago 0.8.58 now vs 0.8.56 that others have. This is really frustrating. The EVSE has worked flawlessly since 6/25 until 7/6 when I've had nightly issues. Giving the charging phone number a call Monday. Screenshot_20200711-165630.jpg Screenshot_20200711-170034.jpg

I continue to get overheating 3 red blinks errors after less than an hour of charging. The car ramps to about 16A/17A then goes all the way down to 0 and repeats the same process over and over again. I've tried turning on and off the breaker. I've done a hard reset of the vehicle by holding down the brake and steering wheel buttons. My car is on the latest software as of yesterday 2020.24.6.5 and I just noticed the wall Connector has new firmware installed from a few days ago 0.8.58 now vs 0.8.56 that others have. This is really frustrating. The EVSE has worked flawlessly since 6/25 until 7/6 when I've had nightly issues. Giving the charging phone number a call Monday.View attachment 563542 View attachment 563543

having the same issue tonight. Only thing different is the new software recent update for the modelY

I purchased my 3rd gen wall charger in March, right when they were released. It was fine until about 2 weeks ago when I got my first 3 blinking red lights and charger was definitely hot. Cleared it, error/heat came back again this past Friday. Called Wall Charger support today (thanks everyone for the number!). They said they were definitely having issues with these chargers overheating and that 70% can be fixed via firmware. After checking my firmware, they found I was already on the correct firmware so they opened a case. They said the case will get routed to another group and they would check the charger and decide if they should replace it. He didn't say this directly, but he seemed to imply that was the path they were going to take. It will take 2-3 days for them to respond by email. (blah) He also said that I should ignore any email that says I have to return your defective charger before they will send out the replacement. He said that is inaccurate. The replacement charger will take 5 days to ship/receive from the date I hear from the team he was sending the case to.

So....while I am happy that it seems like the problem will get resolved, I'm not thrilled that the units are defective and it does suck that it's going to take about 10 days in total to get my unit replaced. I live 6 miles from a supercharger so I guess I will pop over there a few times.

On a side note, the service rep was excellent. Tesla's service is definitely less than accessible and is often branded "poor", but this rep (maybe the entire team?) was aware of the issue, new how to quickly diagnose the problem, and got me to the next step promptly. Hopefully the rest of the handling goes this well.

Note, the ‭(510) 249-2490‬ Option 2 center is open 8-5 pacific time / 11-8 Eastern.
Have your Wall Charger serial number handy and have the unit powered on, connected to WiFi so they can connect to it. I also have to leave it on in case the 2nd level team wants to connect to it for further diagnosis. He said there wasn't any danger in doing this.

Thank you for sharing this information. I will probably reach out to them as well as I’m having similar issues with my charger flashing red light which seems to be due to overheating. My workaround for right now is to leave my garage doors open so the the garage can breathe and even though it only makes a few degree difference it seems to prevent it from overheating.

Thank-you AtlantaX, mine has been doing the same thing. I've taken readings and it definitely appears to be an overheating issue. I will give them a call also. Sure sounds like a update caused it whether it was for the car or for the charger. Thanks again for the numbers please post if you hear anything else.

I purchased my 3rd gen wall charger in March, right when they were released. It was fine until about 2 weeks ago when I got my first 3 blinking red lights and charger was definitely hot. Cleared it, error/heat came back again this past Friday. Called Wall Charger support today (thanks everyone for the number!). They said they were definitely having issues with these chargers overheating and that 70% can be fixed via firmware. After checking my firmware, they found I was already on the correct firmware so they opened a case. They said the case will get routed to another group and they would check the charger and decide if they should replace it. He didn't say this directly, but he seemed to imply that was the path they were going to take. It will take 2-3 days for them to respond by email. (blah) He also said that I should ignore any email that says I have to return your defective charger before they will send out the replacement. He said that is inaccurate. The replacement charger will take 5 days to ship/receive from the date I hear from the team he was sending the case to.

So....while I am happy that it seems like the problem will get resolved, I'm not thrilled that the units are defective and it does suck that it's going to take about 10 days in total to get my unit replaced. I live 6 miles from a supercharger so I guess I will pop over there a few times.

On a side note, the service rep was excellent. Tesla's service is definitely less than accessible and is often branded "poor", but this rep (maybe the entire team?) was aware of the issue, new how to quickly diagnose the problem, and got me to the next step promptly. Hopefully the rest of the handling goes this well.

Note, the ‭(510) 249-2490‬ Option 2 center is open 8-5 pacific time / 11-8 Eastern.
Have your Wall Charger serial number handy and have the unit powered on, connected to WiFi so they can connect to it. I also have to leave it on in case the 2nd level team wants to connect to it for further diagnosis. He said there wasn't any danger in doing this.

Just wanted to let you know I went through this exact issue. Charging team already sent me a replacement and I returned the defective one via FedEx but the replacement is having the exact same behavior. Has firmware 0.8.58 which was updated from 0.8.4 out of the box. Interestingly, last night was one of the first nights it did not ramp down to 24A after an hour or so of charging at full 48A. As soon as we plugged in, the unit ramped to 8kW and around 33-34A consistently for the full 3 hours of charge from 55%-90% SOC. No ramp down to 24A. Remember, this is the brand new replacement they sent out to me. Hard to tell if my issue is firmware or hardware, but now on unit 2 and not getting full 48A.

Hey All, just got off the phone with tesla with the phone number AtlantaX put out. Spoke with Corey in technical support and he was really nice and told me that it's an issue that's going on and the firmware update issupposed to fix it. They looked at my history on my unit and said that I already have the updated firmware updat. He is going to send it up to his level two and they are going to look into it more. It sounds like they want to send me a new unit if level 2 cannot figure it out. He says the issue is the plug Connection Point is telling the unit that it is overheating but it is not. He says I can continue to use it as is and will not hurt anything but if it bothered me just charged at half the amperage.
At least it's a known issue and it's not our cars that are doing it. If anybody has any more information please let us all know.

Hey All, just got off the phone with tesla with the phone number AtlantaX put out. Spoke with Corey in technical support and he was really nice and told me that it's an issue that's going on and the firmware update issupposed to fix it. They looked at my history on my unit and said that I already have the updated firmware updat. He is going to send it up to his level two and they are going to look into it more. It sounds like they want to send me a new unit if level 2 cannot figure it out. He says the issue is the plug Connection Point is telling the unit that it is overheating but it is not. He says I can continue to use it as is and will not hurt anything but if it bothered me just charged at half the amperage.
At least it's a known issue and it's not our cars that are doing it. If anybody has any more information please let us all know.

By "plug connection point" you mean the charging handle that plugs into the charge port on the car? Good to find out the actual root cause. It's what I suspected. For some reason in the firmware, the unit is getting overheating alerts when it's really within it's normal thermal limits for full 48A

By "plug connection point" you mean the charging handle that plugs into the charge port on the car? Good to find out the actual root cause. It's what I suspected. For some reason in the firmware, the unit is getting overheating alerts when it's really within it's normal thermal limits for full 48A
That is correct the charging handle that plugs into the car. He told me if you look at the charging handle like the head of a snake you'll see two plugs one of those two plugs or holes are giving a overheat problem even though it's not overheating. I think the most comforting information is that it's a known issue and it is supposed to be fixed by firmware. If I understood him correctly there are a few bad Chargers that have to be replaced they cannot be fixed with firmware. I hope I didn't confuse you.

Installed the Gen 3 wall connector in mid June 2020. Was charging at 48A (14kW) through entire charging cycle until this week. Now it starts out at 48A for first 5-10 mins then throttles back to 20-24A and 5kW for remainder of charge. Top LED on chargers blinks 3 times and remainder blink successively green. My current firmware version is 0.8.58. Was on phone with tech support this morning. Asked me to send them screenshot of Wall Charger Model #, Serial # and Firmware version as well as a video of the 3 blinking red lights (odd request I thought). Told me I have the latest firmware. Charging at 5kW is useless to me. Tesla!! Need a fix, Paid $500 for wall connector and $700 for installation.

Installed the Gen 3 wall connector in mid June 2020. Was charging at 48A (14kW) through entire charging cycle until this week. Now it starts out at 48A for first 5-10 mins then throttles back to 20-24A and 5kW for remainder of charge. Top LED on chargers blinks 3 times and remainder blink successively green. My current firmware version is 0.8.58. Was on phone with tech support this morning. Asked me to send them screenshot of Wall Charger Model #, Serial # and Firmware version as well as a video of the 3 blinking red lights (odd request I thought). Told me I have the latest firmware. Charging at 5kW is useless to me. Tesla!! Need a fix, Paid $500 for wall connector and $700 for installation.
In the meantime, try dialing it back to 40A and see if that helps.

Do I change this setting on the Wall Connector Settings or in my Model S? When I tried to change the power output on the Wall Connector settings I get this error message: “Set circuit breaker rating for the Wall Connector Forbidden”

You can change it in the car after you've connected it. If you want to change it on the connector, you have to put it back in commissioning mode and connect to its internal WiFi (you can't change the breaker once it settles on your home WiFi, presumably to prevent someone nefarious from logging on your network and changing it from 24A to 48A when you have it on a 30A breaker for example). You can put it in commissioning mode by holding down the button on the handle or just powering down the breaker and powering it back up. It broadcasts its network for 5 minutes and allows changing the breaker configuration.

You can change it in the car after you've connected it. If you want to change it on the connector, you have to put it back in commissioning mode and connect to its internal WiFi (you can't change the breaker once it settles on your home WiFi, presumably to prevent someone nefarious from logging on your network and changing it from 24A to 48A when you have it on a 30A breaker for example). You can put it in commissioning mode by holding down the button on the handle or just powering down the breaker and powering it back up. It broadcasts its network for 5 minutes and allows changing the breaker configuration.
Great answer serendipitous..

So lowered it to 24A... then what? Did they say to increase it back to 48A at some point? I have the connector on a 60A circuit in order to take full advantage of its 48A capability
If you want to call tesla 5102492490 and pick option 2.tell them what's going on and let them put you in the list for level 2 help. That should either get you a new unit or fix the firmware. But until it's resolved let it charge at 1/2 the normal amps (24).
Or, you can call and see what your choices are.