Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Wall Connector 3 red blinks fault code

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Adding in my experience here.

Today was a hot day (97 outside) in Denver and also one of the first days I've charged a car more than an hour. I have the Gen 3 configured with 40 amp charging (50 amp breaker) since I have 6AWG N-MB (and not THHN/conduit/metal clad cable) wire feeding it. The car (loaner model S) at some point gave a "reduced charging, check cable" message but never quit charging and I never saw red lights. It charged at 30 amps for a bit (after ramping up easily to 40 amps during the first hour or so) and then without me doing anything, it went back to 40 amps for the last 1.5 hours or so of charging.

I called the phone # above and they said that was normal given how hot it was but call back if it does that when it's not hot. I guess since it never quit charging like some of the experiences above I'll accept that answer.

A few observations:
  • NM-B feeding the A/C disconnect and wall connector feels warm but not that warm
  • Charging cable (to car) coming out of wall connector was quite a bit warmer at the spot it exits the wall connector
  • 97 degrees outside
  • Infrared thermometer (unknown accuracy) says 100 degrees on a stud next to wall connector
  • 116 degrees - NM-B before disconnect
  • 122 degrees - charging cable exiting wall connector
  • 105 degrees - charging cable on ground going towards car
  • 113 degrees - charging cable near charge port connector
Firmware
0.8.58+g2f475f6c93fd79

Unit was purchased at the end of April 2020.

Agree that the support people are very attentive and seems like they're doing the best they can given the circumstances. But as for Tesla engineering on this issue it's an epic fail. Not a word on what, how, where when, etc. No communications at all. I'm still limping along with my "waiting to be replaced/fixed" $500 wall connector at 16A. Ridiculous. Should've just installed a NEMA 14-50 outlet and saved the $500.

I just received a notice from FedEx that a shipment is inbound. It does not indicate that it is from Tesla, but I assume it is that based on the details of the shipment : [Parts Distribution Center Lath, 401-501 Nestle Way Lathrop, CA US 95330] weighing 10 pounds. Will arrive 8/14. Amazing that there has been ZERO communication from Tesla on this matter. If it is the replacement, I plan to install it immediately and will post updates.

Just an update. I already have a replacement from Tesla and I am still having the overheating protection kick in then ramp down to 24A. Granted, it is not happening as often such as every night, but about 1 in 3 days our nightly charging session will have the same error as everyone else is reported. Again, this is on the REPLACEMENT unit so there is no guarantee yours will have the same behavior. Should I ask for a THIRD replacement from Tesla? Some have reported it's an actual hardware issue giving a false positive of overheating in the unit. Some have said they're still messing with the firmware as well.

• Informative
Reactions: Kelr316
I just received a notice from FedEx that a shipment is inbound. It does not indicate that it is from Tesla, but I assume it is that based on the details of the shipment : [Parts Distribution Center Lath, 401-501 Nestle Way Lathrop, CA US 95330] weighing 10 pounds. Will arrive 8/14. Amazing that there has been ZERO communication from Tesla on this matter. If it is the replacement, I plan to install it immediately and will post updates.
Glad to hear this! Looking forward to hearing more. Thanks!

Just an update. I already have a replacement from Tesla and I am still having the overheating protection kick in then ramp down to 24A. Granted, it is not happening as often such as every night, but about 1 in 3 days our nightly charging session will have the same error as everyone else is reported. Again, this is on the REPLACEMENT unit
Dammit. So you are getting the 3 blinks and everything just like before except not as often?

This is where it would be helpful for Tesla to be able to actually come out to one of our houses to check out exactly what is happening.

While its defining not a solution, I've been charging at 35 amps the last few days with no problems. There was once where it charged at 48 amps (car must have reverted back for some reason) and it overheated about an hour in. Time wise I can use 35 amps, but it is definitely not what I paid for as sometimes I do actually need that extra speed

Just replaced the wall charger with the new one. Everything checks out okay through the wifi. But, when you plug the vehicle in the charging goes from 0-17 amps out of 48 and then back down to 0.

I still wonder if this is a car and charger issue. Not just a charger issue. Everything started messing up after a vehicle software update.

Just replaced the wall charger with the new one. Everything checks out okay through the wifi. But, when you plug the vehicle in the charging goes from 0-17 amps out of 48 and then back down to 0.

I still wonder if this is a car and charger issue. Not just a charger issue. Everything started messing up after a vehicle software update.

could be. I’m not sure when my charging issues started happening, but it was solid for a month and now it over heats

Just an update. I already have a replacement from Tesla and I am still having the overheating protection kick in then ramp down to 24A. Granted, it is not happening as often such as every night, but about 1 in 3 days our nightly charging session will have the same error as everyone else is reported. Again, this is on the REPLACEMENT unit so there is no guarantee yours will have the same behavior. Should I ask for a THIRD replacement from Tesla? Some have reported it's an actual hardware issue giving a false positive of overheating in the unit. Some have said they're still messing with the firmware as well.

How hot is the ambient temperature when this happens for you? Is that a relevant factor?

It finally happened to me after nearly 2 months of using Gen 3 with my Y without problems.
It is mounted on a shed not exposed to sun or other heat, per se. On a 50A breaker, 40A charge was perfectly reliable and it "overheated" on a 70 degree night (the coolest night in weeks).

I get ramped down to 20A, 5 kwh after an hour now. No "errors". I guess I'll try maxing in the car at 32A and see if that works.

Such a bummer though. I can't help but wonder if a software update caused a new behavior that is failing.

I'm on 0.8.58+g2f475f6c93fd79

You've had the opportunity to live with the replacement for a while now, do you have any update on how it's behaving? My replacement arrived today and I'll install it soon but I'm not in a hurry if it doesn't fix anything.