Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Wall Connector 3 red blinks fault code

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m having this same issue on the same firmware version. Did you ever get a fix?
Yes I did. As noted in the update to my original post, Tesla, without any communication, sent me a replacement unit which I have now installed (It's an easy process taking about 20 minutes). The new charger, which is running firmware 0.8.58, is working just as it should. No more blinking reds and full amperage. Life is good again.

Reactions: mcorf
Yes I did. As noted in the update to my original post, Tesla, without any communication, sent me a replacement unit which I have now installed (It's an easy process taking about 20 minutes). The new charger, which is running firmware 0.8.58, is working just as it should. No more blinking reds and full amperage. Life is good again.
Thanks for the reply. They sent an update to 1.4 which did not fix the fault, but at least it charges at 41A when it flashes red. I think a new unit will be on the way soon

Thanks for the reply. They sent an update to 1.4 which did not fix the fault, but at least it charges at 41A when it flashes red. I think a new unit will be on the way soon

New unit was the only way to fix the 'over heating' for me. Before you remove the old unit and install the new one post your serial numbers. Curious to see how high the faulty units go.

New unit was the only way to fix the 'over heating' for me. Before you remove the old unit and install the new one post your serial numbers. Curious to see how high the faulty units go.
Received a replacement unit back in August 2020. Installed and sent bad Gen 3 unit back. New unit worked fine for a few months and same problem returned. Three red blinks but charge continues at a reduced 20 amp rate. Arghhh. So frustrating. Anyone else have this problem after replacing a faulty Gen 3 wall unit/charger?

Hi All,
We own a model Y for close to one month with no charging issue up until last night (6/28). Gen 3 Wall Connector stopped charging due to overheating (3 red blinks) fault code exactly 30 minutes after initial charge in three separate occasions (at 12:30 AM, 8:20 AM, and 8:50 AM). No issue charging with regular mobile 110V plug. Called Tesla support and was told to contact electrician / installer to make sure that proper conduit and wiring were installed before calling charging support at 510-249-2490.

Electrician came and checked to make sure all connections were secured properly and called charging support, Was told that the new firmware would fix this issue. My old firmware was 0.8.4+g8984eea7a4b342 and the new firmware is 0.8.54+g46f395de1d5760. As per Tesla's request, I waited for 2 hours after the firmware update before recharging the car. if this doesn't work, Tesla is going to send mobile service to replace the charger. Will keep you posted.

I come on here to research this problem has this happened to me 2 days ago!! Charged the car overnight as usual, got a message car stopped charging! so didn't have enough battery to get to work, and tad miffed to say the least!!!! I have my Gen connected to my WiFi, I contacted customer support that as of yet have not reached out to me! So still pissed off, Can someone let me know what the current firmware is I should have, and how do I get the update? I have looked on the website and cant seem to figure out how to do this.
Thanks All for your help!
Rob

Tesla “pushed” new firmware but I already had the updated firmware. I called back to tell them that it still didn’t work.

they have sent me a return label to send back the charger and will replace the charger. They want the unit back before they send me a new charger.

So how do they think your charge your car!! The 110 lead, that doesn't give me no where near enough power, pay at a supercharger! Hope they fix your issue, I am now having the same issue... just sucks

Received a replacement unit back in August 2020. Installed and sent bad Gen 3 unit back. New unit worked fine for a few months and same problem returned. Three red blinks but charge continues at a reduced 20 amp rate. Arghhh. So frustrating. Anyone else have this problem after replacing a faulty Gen 3 wall unit/charger?

Noooo! I was hoping the new unit would be solid. What's the serial # of your new unit? Curious how far 'up the chain' this issue goes.

Bummer. I came back to this thread to see how people were doing. I got my replacement a few months ago, right after you did. I was able to charge at 48A again. I kept it that way for a couple weeks then decided I would not risk it and turned down amperage to 36A (from inside the car, and it remembers that setting). 36A used to work on my overheating unit too. At 48A the cord on the unit is noticeably hotter. I’ve been using 36A ever since and will just stick with that, as nothing even gets warm at 36A. I figure if I ever really need a faster charge I can up to 48A in the car, but so far 36A is fine.

Also, I recall someone here saying his cord got “blistered” and I don’t think mine is, but it is it the same as it was out of the box. It is definitely not a smooth round cylinder/shaft like it was when I got it, its more “molded” in parts to apparently twisting wires inside. If that makes sense. It is not alarming at all but it is different, and could just be from use or could have been impacted by the heat. I don’t want to say something that sounds worse than it is, it is very mild and I only noticed it when I looked for it.

Also I checked yesterday and my fw is still 0.8.58. Unit is always online. It was 0.8.55 I think when I got it.

edit - to the guy who thought he has to return his unit before Tesla sends another, that is not true. The e-mail suggests that but all of us who got replacements were told to ignore the e-mail instructions and send back once the new one comes (use the new one’s box and packing materials).

I had issues with my Gen 3, I eventually got through to Customer services, and they sent a firmware update and right now, mine seems ok, fingers crossed!
Same with mine, but I've only had one recharge after the firmware upgrade, so I'm not ready to claim victory just yet. Hopefully the Gen 3 Wall Chargers stays connected to our garage WiFi so any future firmware upgrades will be seamless.

Reactions: RobDeBank
Yesterday my Y updated the firmware to 2020.48.30 040912887bad. When it started charging at midnight, charging got interrupted and the wall charger was blinking red 3 times which means overheating. I restarted charging and after about 10 or 15 minutes the same thing happened. The wall charger is making a loud humming noise. I have been charging with this charger for months with no problems. Does anyone else have a similar problem?

Yesterday my Y updated the firmware to 2020.48.30 040912887bad. When it started charging at midnight, charging got interrupted and the wall charger was blinking red 3 times which means overheating. I restarted charging and after about 10 or 15 minutes the same thing happened. The wall charger is making a loud humming noise. I have been charging with this charger for months with no problems. Does anyone else have a similar problem?
May want to check this thread:
Gen 3 Wall Connector 3 red blinks fault code

Just got mine installed by a good electrician, after 30 minutes of being on, not even charging...goes into 3 red lights, electrician basically said "call tesla" which pisses me off, but I guess this is a thing I have to deal with now. I called tesla they said since I dont have my car yet they can't do much, so. I guess I gotta wait to get my car, have it not charge, then troubleshoot

Just got mine installed by a good electrician, after 30 minutes of being on, not even charging...goes into 3 red lights, electrician basically said "call tesla" which pisses me off, but I guess this is a thing I have to deal with now. I called tesla they said since I dont have my car yet they can't do much, so. I guess I gotta wait to get my car, have it not charge, then troubleshoot
Make sure you still have the paperwork that comes in the box with the Wall Connector. You will need the password to configure/reconfigure the Wall Connector settings including the WiFi settings.

Your electrician may have installed the Wall Connector but did they configure the Wall Connector using the Wall Connector's WiFi hotspot and their phone to set the Wall Connector for the circuit amperage and the WiFi settings for accessing the internet (needed so that Tesla can perform over the air firmware updates.)

This YouTube video shows what needs to be done to configure the Wall Connector once it has been wired into the circuit. (Jump ahead to 10:40 for the setup.)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: spsheridan
Make sure you still have the paperwork that comes in the box with the Wall Connector. You will need the password to configure/reconfigure the Wall Connector settings including the WiFi settings.

Your electrician may have installed the Wall Connector but did they configure the Wall Connector using the Wall Connector's WiFi hotspot and their phone to set the Wall Connector for the circuit amperage and the WiFi settings for accessing the internet (needed so that Tesla can perform over the air firmware updates.)

This YouTube video shows what needs to be done to configure the Wall Connector once it has been wired into the circuit. (Jump ahead to 10:40 for the setup.)
Thanks for this, yea we did all that. They are actually now helping me try and work this out with tesla, seems it could be the unit

I had ~100 miles-each-way trips to NYC (saw Cybertruck!) and Boston in my 2018 Model 3 LR recently, so my Gen 3 Wall Connector got it's most activity since it was installed late last year of little driving. On Saturday May 15, using the Tesla App, I noticed my home charging session had backed off from the usual 40A down to 35A. I then headed out to my 72°F garage to investigate, and noticed the red LED, and took some video of the Wall Connector, charging cable and circuit breakers with my FLIR thermal camera. Nothing was very hot, not even to the touch. I backed off to 30A manually anyway, then went to sleep, and headed off to Boston at 90% Sunday morning. Returning at 9%, my Wall Connector showed the red LED again on Sunday evening, so now knew the problem was recurring, but Tesla Service at (877)961-7652 option 3 isn't available on weekends.

Monday at 11am eastern they open, and the technician was excellent. Once I had the serial # for him, he quickly said he'll be shipping me a newer Gen 3 Wall Connector because my serial # was seen to be showing this temperature issue, and the issue has been resolved in later builds. I don't know the exact serial # cutoff, my serial # is B7S20092Y0116x (I dropped the last digit).

He also assured me it's safe to use the old unit, as the software steps down the charge rates automatically to keep temperatures in check. While I had an electrician convert my NEMA14-50 outlet to a hardwire Wall Connector install, the technician assured me that I can install the unit myself. The modular design allows me to just flip the 50 amp breaker, then plug the front part with the electronics in, with all the electrical wiring already in place and staying in place. I'm comfortable setting up the Wi-Fi again, and will be sure to set it to 40A max, just as I did the first time with the electrician watching me.

I'm a bit disappointed that this is my 3rd Wall Connector in 2 years . My also-early production "Wall Connector with 14-50 Plug" (that they no longer make) failed, but was replaced under warranty at no charge. Had I let these degraded charging sessions persist for a while, I don't know if they would have contacted me proactively.

I'm glad to have had an excellent customer service experience, and feel assured Tesla was staying on top of this.

I'm a bit disappointed that this is my 3rd Wall Connector in 2 years . My also-early production "Wall Connector with 14-50 Plug" (that they no longer make) failed, but was replaced under warranty at no charge. Had I let these degraded charging sessions persist for a while, I don't know if they would have contacted me proactively.

I'm glad to have had an excellent customer service experience, and feel assured Tesla was staying on top of this.
I've had the same experience (hardwired 14-50 wall connector to a Gen3 that overheated to a replacement Gen3) and I've been happy with their response as well. My replacement Gen3 did show a flashing red light the other day after a long charge in a very hot garage, but it had only stepped down to 45A (usually 48 on my 60A circuit). Much better than the old behavior where I would drop precipitously after 20 minutes.

I just had this happen to my Gen3 The first time it started blinking red as soon as it was plugged in. The second time was last night and the car charged from 30% to 75% and completed charging at 10pm . In the morining the charger was blinking and the error in the unit stated that the overheating error occured at 2:10am . It was plugged in but thee was no charing at that time .

Just wanted to give a little update here. Same thing happened to me, Wall Connector has been working flawlessly since Jan '21 then got the reduced charging to 35 AMPS (from 48). Unit had latest firmware, was warm but never hot to the touch, all connections were tight, proper gauge wire, etc.

I called Tesla on Friday, and they've already shipped me out a replacement to be delivered this week. Super easy customer support.