Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Wall Connector 3 red blinks fault code

unctarheels

Jul 28, 2020
Raleigh, NC
I am on my second Gen 3 Wall Connector/Charger. Purchased first one in June 2020. Wired to 60 amp breaker and delivered 48 amps 237 volts to vehicle. After 20-30 minutes it throttled back to 24 amps and was seeing an error code on LED lights (3 red blinks). Worked with Tesla support and they sent out a replacement in August 2020. I installed and returned faulty connector. After 3 months of use I am getting the same issues. Anyone else who received a replacement seeing the problem again?

unctarheels

Jul 28, 2020
Raleigh, NC
Yeah, great suggestion. Do you have any specific wiring issues that I might look for? I had the wiring checked when the first one went bad (used a different electrician than the one who installed it). Checked out fine.

murphyS90D

Jul 2, 2016
Horsham, PA
Were copper ferrules crimped on the ends of all of the wires? Trying to clamp down on stranded wire can miss some strands which will create a point of heat generation. Mine is capable of 80 amps and the connections stay cool. All wire ends have copper ferrules installed. Do you have a laser thermometer. You could check everything yourself while charging and locate any hot spots.

evfeh

Nov 13, 2016
Illinois
Or, try lowering the charging current via the wifi config, maybe down to 40A or 32A and see if the overheat condition is still there.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC