Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Wall Connector BUT I don't have access to WIFI (Condo Garage)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my Gen3 Wall Charger wired by my friend who is a retired commercial electrician And he has his own Tesla charger, but for a 2018 year model car.
The wires were routed up the lower center hole, and he did Not route the wires as shown the the phamphlet that came with my "charger". He did not wrap them up on the right and then down into the 3 sockets.
After he left I plugged into my 2021 M3 and the car screen said 48 amps. The charger is connected with a 50 amp circut. I turned it down to 40 amps. It works.
I assume that the wrapping or path in the WC itself must be followed because I am not able to make a connection with my cell.
Getting ready to buy some #6 wire and follow the instruction in the phamphlet, and use a 60amp breaker.

I had my Gen3 Wall Charger wired by my friend who is a retired commercial electrician And he has his own Tesla charger, but for a 2018 year model car.
The wires were routed up the lower center hole, and he did Not route the wires as shown the the phamphlet that came with my "charger". He did not wrap them up on the right and then down into the 3 sockets.
After he left I plugged into my 2021 M3 and the car screen said 48 amps. The charger is connected with a 50 amp circut. I turned it down to 40 amps. It works.
I assume that the wrapping or path in the WC itself must be followed because I am not able to make a connection with my cell.
Getting ready to buy some #6 wire and follow the instruction in the phamphlet, and use a 60amp breaker.
The wrapping has nothing to do with your cell/wifi. The wifi in the charger is only really connectable to your phone for the first few minutes after powerup of the charger (or you hold the button on the handle down for 5+ seconds).

TBH, the routing isn't THAT important. What wire does he have installed right now, and is it through conduit? If its already #6 through conduit, all you need is a breaker change(and technically, you don't absolutely NEED that, depending on where your breaker box is and what other breakers are adjacent to the 50A). In theory the worst you'll see is a nuisance trip if there's a lot of heat build-up.

Electricity is electricity, it doesn't care whether its going into a 2018 or 2021 car.

Its probably good your friend retired.

The wrapping has nothing to do with your cell/wifi. The wifi in the charger is only really connectable to your phone for the first few minutes after powerup of the charger (or you hold the button on the handle down for 5+ seconds).

TBH, the routing isn't THAT important. What wire does he have installed right now, and is it through conduit? If its already #6 through conduit, all you need is a breaker change(and technically, you don't absolutely NEED that, depending on where your breaker box is and what other breakers are adjacent to the 50A). In theory the worst you'll see is a nuisance trip if there's a lot of heat build-up.

Electricity is electricity, it doesn't care whether its going into a 2018 or 2021 car.

Its probably good your friend retired.

Learning a lot. Yeah, the breaker is not tripping, but I may swap it for a 60. Will try getting a connection.
My friend worked here in Oregon on 600v equipment in the paper mills.
Thank you very much for the help!