Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Wall Connector came in a ordinary box, and seems broken?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently ordered two wall connectors. One came in the custom wall connector black cardboard box, but the second one came in an ordinary brown cardboard box with the internals of the black box ripped out and thrown inside. It looks as if it came from Tesla like this based on the labels on the box. I wouldn't normally care but I just finished installing them, and the second wall connector does not seem to work at all. When I turn on the circuit there are no green lights that turn on. I've double checked that the wall bracket has power to it. The other wall connector that came in the proper wall connector box works fine. Is there some way to diagnose this, or should I just contact Tesla and tell them one was defective? I kind of wonder if this one was returned, or the original box damaged\dropped at some point given the unusual packaging.
IMG_20211226_100843.jpg

Sorry to hear about your trouble. If the charger has power to it and there are no lights, you will most likely have to exchange it.

Heads up that Tesla's customer support is extremely unresponsive. After I emailed onlineorders (at) tesla (.) com multiple times, it took them 8 days to reply. Don't get discouraged and keep trying, they will eventually get back to you.

Also, not sure if you know, but since you are in WA state, the chargers are sales tax exempt. You will need to fill out "Buyer’s Retail Sales Tax Exemption Certificate" (there is a fillable PDF form online) and email it to Tesla.

BTW, my 24' gen 3 charger also arrived in a damaged box (there were multiple holes in it, as if someone kicked it). No idea if the charger itself is damaged, as I haven't installed it yet.

It has now been a week since i contacted them, and I also sent a message through their online form. Is there a direct number for tesla support\orders that I can call? I even confirmed that the device is defective by removing the working connector and moving it to the spot where i was trying to connect the broken one, and it works fine there as well. I would request a refund, but I don't know how that works since I already drilled holes into the wall plate for it and attached it to the wall.

If i don't hear back by tomorrow I think i might have to disputing the charge with my credit card company.

After a month, i still have not had any response from Tesla regarding the defective unit other than to ask for pictures (which I already sent in the first email). I did get a partial refund for the sales tax, and had to go ahead with the chargeback on my CC. Pretty frustrating experience with Tesla which makes me worried about having to order another one to replace the defective unit, assuming they choose to go with a refund. I guess i should just buy the Wall Connector in person from a local store, if that is even an option?

The only fortunate thing is all the delays on Model X orders means I don't need the second wall connector yet...