Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 wall connector charging issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just installed a 3rd gen tesla wall connector on my wall. Was installed for 60 amps. My 2022 model S is charging at 48 amps at around 40 miles/hr. My long range model Y, on the other hand is only charging at 31 amps at 28 miles/hr. Any reason why it’s charging slower than the model S? Thanks in advance

Just installed a 3rd gen tesla wall connector on my wall. Was installed for 60 amps. My 2022 model S is charging at 48 amps at around 40 miles/hr. My long range model Y, on the other hand is only charging at 31 amps at 28 miles/hr. Any reason why it’s charging slower than the model S? Thanks in advance
Did you set the charge limit on the car to 31A? If you did, raise it to 48A.

My long range model Y, on the other hand is only charging at 31 amps at 28 miles/hr. Any reason why it’s charging slower than the model S?
Well, there would be a really helpful piece of information that would help us understand what's going on. On the charging screen of the car it shows numbers, indicating how many amps it's using out of how many amps it sees available.

Does the car show 31/31 or does it say 31/48? If it shows 48 available, then you should be able to press the up button to increase the amps while it's charging. If it only shows 31 out of 31, then there's some kind of hardware issue to be looked at.

Second @Rocky_H. As it happens, Teslas currently in production have three 16A AC to DC converters. When my M3 gets plugged into my (Gen 2) Wall Connector, you can see the current going up to 16A; a pause, a slight drop in current, then it ramps up to 32A; a pause, a drop in current, then it ramps all the way up to 48A.

There are SR (Standard Range) Teslas with smaller batteries and AC to DC converters sized to match; Those go up to 32A, max, and only have two of those 16A modules.

In your case, with a Model Y, it kind of looks like the third module isn't kicking in. There have been multiple reports on the Tesla forums about failure of some hardware that causes one or two of those modules to not kick in, or kick off-line. Warranty work will fix the issue, if that's the issue. But, before calling Tesla on the app for repair, it's sane to check if the current isn't limited on the charging screen, in which case the problem would be user error 😁.

So, check for user error, and if that's clean, put up a charging problem on the app. If that's the case, Tesla will make it good.

Well, there would be a really helpful piece of information that would help us understand what's going on. On the charging screen of the car it shows numbers, indicating how many amps it's using out of how many amps it sees available.

Does the car show 31/31 or does it say 31/48? If it shows 48 available, then you should be able to press the up button to increase the amps while it's charging. If it only shows 31 out of 31, then there's some kind of hardware issue to be looked at.
It shows 31 out of 48 (31/48)