Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Wall Connector Delayed Charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got home tonight and it took a little longer for my Gen 3 Wall Connector to start charging.

Usually, once plugged in the car starts charging almost instantaneously. Tonight, it took about 5 seconds before the relay flipped and the car started charging.

The car ended up charging normally, just wasn’t sure if the delay between plugging in the car and charging beginning is normal and within spec. Is this normal?

Should note I’ve only had the car for about 6 weeks, so relatively small sample size. Car is a 2022 MY with 2000 miles.

Last edited:
Charging won't begin until the Tesla vehicle initiates communications with the Wall Connector and the Wall Connector responds. The Tesla vehicle could have delayed starting communications. You could wait, see if this happens again. You could try turning off the circuit breaker to the Wall Connector circuit (when not plugged in to the Tesla, not while charging) and then wait 10 seconds before turning the power on again. You could try rebooting the Tesla vehicle by pressing, holding the steering wheel scroll wheels for ~5 seconds while parked.

So yesterday I posted that when I got home from work, there was about a 5 second delay from when I plugged in the Gen 3 Wall Connector to the time the car actually started charging.

After the car was charged, I unplugged it, reset the Wall Connector by flipping the breaker and leaving it off for 30 seconds. I even reset the car by holding down both scroll wheels for good measure.

Well, tonight when I got home and plugged in the car, it took about 30 seconds for the car to start charging. A message on the screen in the car said “charging stopped” before the relay finally flipped and the car started charging.

Not sure what is going on, or if this is a Wall Connector problem or a car/software problem. Any thoughts?

It should be noted that after the mishap today, I plugged in/unplugged the car 2-3 different times and it behaved as normal.

I'm voting charger problem. Can you find a buddy with another Tesla wall connector you can plug into for a minute of testing? Can you try a mobile connector? The startup interaction between car and mobile/wall connector is basically the same, so if the wall connector has an issue and the mobile connector does not, you can be pretty sure the wall connector is the problem.

And good luck convincing Tesla to replace your charger before it actually hard fails ;)

I gotta say, Tesla has been really good about proactively replacing overheating or potentially overheating chargers, but this isn't one of those, apparently.

I'm voting charger problem. Can you find a buddy with another Tesla wall connector you can plug into for a minute of testing? Can you try a mobile connector? The startup interaction between car and mobile/wall connector is basically the same, so if the wall connector has an issue and the mobile connector does not, you can be pretty sure the wall connector is the problem.

And good luck convincing Tesla to replace your charger before it actually hard fails ;)

I gotta say, Tesla has been really good about proactively replacing overheating or potentially overheating chargers, but this isn't one of those, apparently.
Unfortunately not. Don’t know many people with Teslas and only have the Wall Connector at my disposal. I have tested it again a few more times tonight since I initially posted, and I haven’t been able to replicate the 30 second delay I had earlier. Hoping it was just a one-off thing.

Out of curiosity, if the issue persists, would this warrant a call to Tesla? And if so, who? Just general customer service? Not sure if they do mobile service appointments for things like this.

Unfortunately not. Don’t know many people with Teslas and only have the Wall Connector at my disposal. I have tested it again a few more times tonight since I initially posted, and I haven’t been able to replicate the 30 second delay I had earlier. Hoping it was just a one-off thing.

Out of curiosity, if the issue persists, would this warrant a call to Tesla? And if so, who? Just general customer service? Not sure if they do mobile service appointments for things like this.
There's a number specifically for charger support, I believe. Maybe do a search for "overheating wall connector" or somesuch.

I have had the same behavior for a few weeks. I contacted Tesla and they suggested removing third party apps on my phone and to change my Tesla password. I did all those things - no change. I rebooted the car, app, and wall charger - no change. I think it is a common issue - probably some communication delay. Still charges fine after 5-15 seconds.

I have had the same behavior for a few weeks. I contacted Tesla and they suggested removing third party apps on my phone and to change my Tesla password. I did all those things - no change. I rebooted the car, app, and wall charger - no change. I think it is a common issue - probably some communication delay. Still charges fine after 5-15 seconds.
Wondering if it might be a software issue with the car. Only noticed it after the latest update. In any regard, as long as it keeps charging normally I’m inclined to not worry about it. But it is comforting to know I’m not the only one who has experienced it.

Have you logged into the Wall Charger wifi to see if any errors are popping up? I recently logged on after a while and there was a grounding issue that had popped up (waiting on my electrician to show up for testing now).
Yes. No error messages on the charger. Also checked for software/firmware update and it says I have the latest edition. No red error lights on the charger, either.

Will update again tomorrow

mine has been doing this since the 36 branch of the software update. Mine will take up to a minute to start charging and no errors. None on the other chargers I use at work (ChargePoint)or superchargers do this. I have just updated to 40.4.1 and still have this issue.
I think it is something with the software, not the hardware.

So yesterday I posted that when I got home from work, there was about a 5 second delay from when I plugged in the Gen 3 Wall Connector to the time the car actually started charging.

After the car was charged, I unplugged it, reset the Wall Connector by flipping the breaker and leaving it off for 30 seconds. I even reset the car by holding down both scroll wheels for good measure.

Well, tonight when I got home and plugged in the car, it took about 30 seconds for the car to start charging. A message on the screen in the car said “charging stopped” before the relay finally flipped and the car started charging.

Not sure what is going on, or if this is a Wall Connector problem or a car/software problem. Any thoughts?

It should be noted that after the mishap today, I plugged in/unplugged the car 2-3 different times and it behaved as normal.

I'm having this exact same issue with my Model 3 and Gen 3 Wall Connector. I just opened up a service request to have them take a look. I recently updated to 2022.40.4.1 and believe the issue started after the update.

Tim

Last edited:
Reactions: VegasMYP
Got home tonight and it took a little longer for my Gen 3 Wall Connector to start charging.

Usually, once plugged in the car starts charging almost instantaneously. Tonight, it took about 5 seconds before the relay flipped and the car started charging.

The car ended up charging normally, just wasn’t sure if the delay between plugging in the car and charging beginning is normal and within spec. Is this normal?

Should note I’ve only had the car for about 6 weeks, so relatively small sample size. Car is a 2022 MY with 2000 miles.
I'm having the same issue. It takes about 5 seconds to connect in. I have a service call for next Wednesday, (Nov 23), but I think I will cancel this as it seems to be a software issue with others having the same problem. I thought it was a problem with my equipment.

• Informative
Reactions: TBrownTX
I'm having the same issue. It takes about 5 seconds to connect in. I have a service call for next Wednesday, (Nov 23), but I think I will cancel this as it seems to be a software issue with others having the same problem. I thought it was a problem with my equipment.

I'm going to keep mine for 11/23, sometimes they chat ahead and maybe they'll confirm the bug. If not, he more reports, the more likely they are to determine they have a bug.