Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Wall Connector Delayed Charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Late this afternoon I got the attached from Tesla. I went out this evening and made sure all the electrical connections were torqued.

Did not find any issues with the breaker side, or wall connector side. Everything was nice and tight.

Will report back tomorrow, I have an appointment first thing in the AM, so will know if there's been any behavior change before lunch.

IMG_0315.jpeg

Reactions: VegasMYP
Hey everyone! Quick update: I canceled my service appointment originally scheduled for tomorrow.

The delay randomly went away after about the third time I did a hard reboot of the wall connector and car. Over the last 5 days, the delay has only been on average about 3-5 seconds, well within spec and what I normally experienced. I am going to chalk this up to some kind of software bug affecting communication between the car and wall connector to initiate charging. Because there is nothing wrong with the wall connect *knock on wood*

Reactions: TBrownTX
Depends how widespread, I suppose.
Regarding widespread, I'm from The Netherlands and since last saturday the 19th also on 2022.40.4.1 And the relay in my wall charger flips a few times and then it stops charging all together. I don't have an original tesla wall charger but have charged the car for 2,5 years with that charger without issue. Have reset both the wall charger and the car, always the same result. I can now only charge with the tesla provided cable charger which is slow as hell as it only puts in 11 miles/hour of range...

Late this afternoon I got the attached from Tesla. I went out this evening and made sure all the electrical connections were torqued.

Did not find any issues with the breaker side, or wall connector side. Everything was nice and tight.

Will report back tomorrow, I have an appointment first thing in the AM, so will know if there's been any behavior change before lunch.

View attachment 876614

Today I contacted Tesla Wall Connector support. They told me the Wall Connector "was not seeing power" at the times the delayed charging incident occurred. Considering the Wall Connector is powered from the very same source that charges the car, this does not make sense.

They gave me a checklist to run through which includes volt-meter measurements, pictures of the connectors with torque driver settings, and a bunch of other steps. Going to see how things work out the next several days or even weeks, and if the issue continues, I'll jump through the hoops.

Will also have my Dad, who has a model Y, try my charger and visa-versa to see if we can narrow it down further. I'm still convinced this is a software issue, just seems too coincidental not to be. As an aside, has anyone actually witnessed a licensed electrician using a torque driver?

Tim

Screenshot 2022-11-21 at 4.46.08 PM.png

Same here just lately as the weather got cold. This is the first really cold weather I have experienced since delivery. I just assumed that the car was getting ready to charge and maybe taking a few minutes to condition the battery for charging. The first time I got in and checked the charging display and selected start charging. It ignored my request. Took maybe 10 minutes then it started on its own. This was immediately after a drive in sub freezing weather. Correlation is not causation but I was not concerned about it. Thought about asking here but saw this....

Charger is obviously communicating with the car as the charging display pops up as usual just says not charging for a short interval. No such behavior when car is warmer in the garage after a bit or weather not frigid.

Last edited:
Same here just lately as the weather got cold. This is the first really cold weather I have experienced since delivery. I just assumed that the car was getting ready to charge and maybe taking a few minutes to condition the battery for charging. The first time I got in and checked the charging display and selected start charging. It ignored my request. Took maybe 10 minutes then it started on its own. This was immediately after a drive in sub freezing weather. Correlation is not causation but I was not concerned about it. Thought about asking here but saw this....

Charger is obviously communicating with the car as the charging display pops up as usual just says not charging for a short interval. No such behavior when car is warmer in the garage after a bit or weather not frigid.

You may be on to something here. My car only has the delay after a drive (also recently got cold here), otherwise it's under 5 seconds when its been sitting in the garage. For example, I took a 25 minute drive earlier today, and after the drive it took 11 seconds to start.

Tim

Here's some more folks with what seems to be the same issue.

Same issue this morning on both cars! This morning I plugged in my wifes Y, no communication, car screen says charging stopped. Never did start to charge, blue light on both the wall connector and the inlet. Tried 3 times, same thing. I plug in my S, same thing. Must be the wall connector, right? Plug in my wife's car to my second wall connector, same thing. Tried the first wall connector again, left it in, opened the car door and it started charging. Never seen this before, Will update.

Did not wait for 30 seconds or more by the way which may have resolved the issue like others mention in this thread. The car door opening may have just been a coincidence as it was plugged in longer.

I have a 3rd wall connector at the office where I plug in every day upon arrival, will see what it does there later on.

Last edited:
  • Informative
I think this is a software bug since the 36 branch.

sorry for the edit

I do not have any issues with the chargepoint chargers at work or Superchargers. I started having this issue with the 36 branch and I am now on 40.4.1 and still have this issue but don't think it is taking as long as it did with the 36 version.

I started having the same problem after my car updated to 2022.40.1 - I come home, the car is warm from a recent drive, outdoor temperature is around 50F, I plug in my Gen 3 Wall Connector and it stays blue for slightly over 1 minute before turning green and charging normally. (I timed it so that's not a guess.) Before 40.1 it would go green and start charging almost immediately. My car skipped 2022.36 so I can't comment on that version. Based on comments here, I rebooted the car and the wall connector, but that makes no difference - it still takes a minute. Not really a problem, just different than before.

I have a 2023 model Y and have just recently installed the generation three wall charger. It was done by a certified electrician. Over the last few days I have noticed when I plug the car in that it shows a blue bar on the wall charger indicating that there is a connection to the car, but it has not started charging yet. I also have my wall charger set up to only charge my car ( as opposed to charging any Tesla that plugs in or any other car). It knows what my vin number is and will only charge my model Y. I'm wondering if there is a delay associated with the charger recognizing that this is the car it can charge before it starts charging. Maybe there is a extended time handshake that is needed. It is strange, because I haven't noticed this before. I've been charging on this charger for the last two weeks before the incident started. I just now plugged it in and it showed blue but did not charge. I walked upstairs to look on my computer and confirm what the blue light meant. By the time I went back downstairs it had started charging the car. Seems like I'm not the only one with this issue. It also looks as if no one has posted anything here since December 2022, and it's september 2023. Looks like I'm late to the party :)

I have a 2023 model Y and have just recently installed the generation three wall charger. It was done by a certified electrician. Over the last few days I have noticed when I plug the car in that it shows a blue bar on the wall charger indicating that there is a connection to the car, but it has not started charging yet. I also have my wall charger set up to only charge my car ( as opposed to charging any Tesla that plugs in or any other car). It knows what my vin number is and will only charge my model Y. I'm wondering if there is a delay associated with the charger recognizing that this is the car it can charge before it starts charging. Maybe there is a extended time handshake that is needed. It is strange, because I haven't noticed this before. I've been charging on this charger for the last two weeks before the incident started. I just now plugged it in and it showed blue but did not charge. I walked upstairs to look on my computer and confirm what the blue light meant. By the time I went back downstairs it had started charging the car. Seems like I'm not the only one with this issue. It also looks as if no one has posted anything here since December 2022, and it's september 2023. Looks like I'm late to the party :)

Mine did this when I set it to charge Teslas only. Changed it back to any vehicle and the delay went away.

Tim

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe