Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Wall Connector failure - blue light after software update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I contacted Tesla about this, but I figured I should share.

After the recent software update, my car refused to charge from the Gen 3 Wall Connector. It charges from the portable one, though.

The failure mode is that it quickly switches from the pulsing green LED's to a static blue one. According to the manual, this means, "Waiting to charge, communicating with vehicle". In other words, the car is telling the connector to shut down. The car's display shows a vague message about the charger not working and suggests unplugging it and trying again, which just repeats the failure.

I did a few basic things, including rebooting the connector and the car (although not the full reboot yet). My best guess is that this is a side-effect of the software update, but I'm not certain. Waiting on Tesla to get back to me.

I contacted Tesla about this, but I figured I should share.

After the recent software update, my car refused to charge from the Gen 3 Wall Connector. It charges from the portable one, though.

The failure mode is that it quickly switches from the pulsing green LED's to a static blue one. According to the manual, this means, "Waiting to charge, communicating with vehicle". In other words, the car is telling the connector to shut down. The car's display shows a vague message about the charger not working and suggests unplugging it and trying again, which just repeats the failure.

I did a few basic things, including rebooting the connector and the car (although not the full reboot yet). My best guess is that this is a side-effect of the software update, but I'm not certain. Waiting on Tesla to get back to me.
Rebooting the car would be a reasonable approach.

I assume you flipped the breaker? But consider this, if they have to replace it you may get the new 24 ft model.
Yes, I did flip the breaker, and I also did a full reboot of the car. Didn't help.

Regular Tesla support bounced me to battery/charger support, which ignored my email, so I called and sat on hold for over an hour. Once I did get to a human, they diagnosed the problem quickly.

The Wall Connector is defective. It heats up prematurely and this has been getting progressively worse, until now it's at the point where it shuts down almost immediately. I didn't notice because it automatically compensated by slowing down the charging after a while, and this didn't leave any obvious error messages.

The root cause is a faulty component that was used in the units built in 2020. In other words, they were quite familiar with the defect. It's under warranty, and as you said, the replacement is 24', which is nice because 18' is just a little short. I should be able to do the replacement myself, without an electrician.

I'll probably update this thread with the results, assuming I don't electrocute myself.

Reactions: sirwm and mdri
I saw the blue light on a WC at Supercharger - San Jose, CA - 925 Blossom Hill Road (Westfield Oakridge - LIVE 24 Jun 2021, 24 V3 stalls) over the weekend. That site has Superchargers, a ton of WCs + 4 J1772 EVSEs.
In my case, the blue light turns on only after the pulsing green. This seems strange to me because, according to the manual, all of the WC faults should be different blinking red patterns.

The blue is supposed to mean that the car's not ready to be charged. I wonder if maybe the WC sends information about temperature and the car uses it to control how much power is requests.

Yes, I did flip the breaker, and I also did a full reboot of the car. Didn't help.

Regular Tesla support bounced me to battery/charger support, which ignored my email, so I called and sat on hold for over an hour. Once I did get to a human, they diagnosed the problem quickly.

The Wall Connector is defective. It heats up prematurely and this has been getting progressively worse, until now it's at the point where it shuts down almost immediately. I didn't notice because it automatically compensated by slowing down the charging after a while, and this didn't leave any obvious error messages.

The root cause is a faulty component that was used in the units built in 2020. In other words, they were quite familiar with the defect. It's under warranty, and as you said, the replacement is 24', which is nice because 18' is just a little short. I should be able to do the replacement myself, without an electrician.

I'll probably update this thread with the results, assuming I don't electrocute myself.
I’m guessing your P/N ends in and “F”? I waited and bought mine last month for the revised G version, but got the 18 ft cord. A week after I received and installed it they released the 24 ft model. Coming from a Clipper Creek with a 25 ft cable I didn’t realize how restrictive an 18 ft cable would be. Thought about sending it back, but will use it as is. Maybe if I fails under warranty I’ll get a new and better one. But that’s the life a Tesla owner, change.

I’m guessing your P/N ends in and “F”? I waited and bought mine last month for the revised G version, but got the 18 ft cord. A week after I received and installed it they released the 24 ft model. Coming from a Clipper Creek with a 25 ft cable I didn’t realize how restrictive an 18 ft cable would be. Thought about sending it back, but will use it as is. Maybe if I fails under warranty I’ll get a new and better one. But that’s the life a Tesla owner, change.
I'm not sure about the part number: would have to go outside to check.

Yes, 18' is too short. It's fine if I back into the driveway, so my charging port faces the house. It's marginal if I go in head first; I have to make sure I'm all the way forward.

The replacement is coming in on Friday, so next weekend will be when I do the work. I'm hoping I can just replace the main unit and leave the wire box alone. Think I'll have to call, and wait on hold for an hour, just to confirm.

I'm not sure about the part number: would have to go outside to check.

Yes, 18' is too short. It's fine if I back into the driveway, so my charging port faces the house. It's marginal if I go in head first; I have to make sure I'm all the way forward.

The replacement is coming in on Friday, so next weekend will be when I do the work. I'm hoping I can just replace the main unit and leave the wire box alone. Think I'll have to call, and wait on hold for an hour, just to confirm.
For the record, the replacement arrived and was easy to swap out because the part that's attached to the house didn't need swapping.

All good now. And under warranty.

Reactions: OxBrew