Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Wall Connector Housing Warm...normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have owned my MYP for about 3 weeks now. Charging on Gen 3 Wall Connector, professionally installed on a 50A breaker, charging at 38A.

I have noticed that the housing (part which connects to the wall) is pretty warm during and after charges, especially long ones. It isn't searing hot, but it is definitely very warm. Haven't gotten an error message or red lights, and the cord/handle isn't as warm as the housing.

Is this normal/within spec? Or should I have this checked out?

Have owned my MYP for about 3 weeks now. Charging on Gen 3 Wall Connector, professionally installed on a 50A breaker, charging at 38A.

I have noticed that the housing (part which connects to the wall) is pretty warm during and after charges, especially long ones. It isn't searing hot, but it is definitely very warm. Haven't gotten an error message or red lights, and the cord/handle isn't as warm as the housing.

Is this normal/within spec? Or should I have this checked out?
It is normal for the charging equipment to be warm to the touch while charging. For a better indication of the temperature of the charging connector, cord and Wall Connector you can use a hand held digital thermometer (cost is under $20, available on Amazon.)

If its model number doesn't end with -G or later you should consider contacting Tesla for a replacement. -F had known overheating issues at higher currents, and in my testing I found the left side just below the name/id plate to be the hottest.

Are you sure it isn't 40 amp charging? One of the symptoms of overheat is that the charger rolls down the current, but I'd expect any such behavior to be accompanied by a red light.

If its model number doesn't end with -G or later you should consider contacting Tesla for a replacement. -F had known overheating issues at higher currents, and in my testing I found the left side just below the name/id plate to be the hottest.

Are you sure it isn't 40 amp charging? One of the symptoms of overheat is that the charger rolls down the current, but I'd expect any such behavior to be accompanied by a red light.
This unit's model numnber ends with-G.

Positive it isn't 40amp charging. I manually check the app and car each time to make sure it is 38A. It has never rolled down the current while charging, either. No red light or error message. Glass faceplate is just pretty warm.

Well, why isn't it charging at 40 Amps? Is the wall connector set to 40 like it should be?

Is the vehicle manually set to 38 amps for some reason?

A warm charger isn't out of the ordinary. A hot charger is. But if it's only maxing out at 38 when set to 40, that may be another issue entirely.

Well, why isn't it charging at 40 Amps? Is the wall connector set to 40 like it should be?

Is the vehicle manually set to 38 amps for some reason?

A warm charger isn't out of the ordinary. A hot charger is. But if it's only maxing out at 38 when set to 40, that may be another issue entirely.
It isn’t charging at 40 amps because I manually turned it down to 38. I wasn’t sure if running it the maximum of 40 would cause too much strain or be too much of a pull on the 50 amp breaker.

Really just wanting to make sure that everything is normal. This is my first Tesla/EV.

What is a normal range of temperature while charging/what temp should it not exceed?
It partially depends on the seasonal temperature inside the garage etc. At a public garage I measured the temperature of the charging connectors and the charging cables because one charging station appeared to be much warmer. In most cases the temperature of the charging connector/cable did not exceed 110F. On one of the charging stations the charging cable would get to almost 130F. I stopped using that one and reported this to the company that provided the equipment. It took some time but recently each of the public charging stations at this location were replaced with new equipment. I have not measured the temperatures for the new stations; the charging cords are a little shorter with the new charging stations.

I measured the temperature of my home charging station equipment (not Tesla.) The warmest temperatures I measured were the charging cord close to the J1772 charging connector (I use the Tesla SAE J1772 adapter to charge my Model Y at home) and at the NEMA 14-50 receptacle and power plug. The top part of the front of the charging station was warmest. I don't recall any temperature exceeding 110F. Expect the temperature of the charging equipment while in use to be higher in summer than winter.

It partially depends on the seasonal temperature inside the garage etc. At a public garage I measured the temperature of the charging connectors and the charging cables because one charging station appeared to be much warmer. In most cases the temperature of the charging connector/cable did not exceed 110F. On one of the charging stations the charging cable would get to almost 130F. I stopped using that one and reported this to the company that provided the equipment. It took some time but recently each of the public charging stations at this location were replaced with new equipment. I have not measured the temperatures for the new stations; the charging cords are a little shorter with the new charging stations.

I measured the temperature of my home charging station equipment (not Tesla.) The warmest temperatures I measured were the charging cord close to the J1772 charging connector (I use the Tesla SAE J1772 adapter to charge my Model Y at home) and at the NEMA 14-50 receptacle and power plug. The top part of the front of the charging station was warmest. I don't recall any temperature exceeding 110F. Expect the temperature of the charging equipment while in use to be higher in summer than winter.
That makes sense. It is very warm where I’m at, and this wall connector is installed in our garage. It’s been 90-100 degrees practically every day, and the car frequently goes into cabin overheat protection.

That said, it sounds like the faceplate being warm to the touch during/right after long charging stations is probably normal? Especially if it isn’t throwing an error message or red lights

That makes sense. It is very warm where I’m at, and this wall connector is installed in our garage. It’s been 90-100 degrees practically every day, and the car frequently goes into cabin overheat protection.

That said, it sounds like the faceplate being warm to the touch during/right after long charging stations is probably normal? Especially if it isn’t throwing an error message or red lights
You could charge at night when it is cooler.

It isn’t charging at 40 amps because I manually turned it down to 38. I wasn’t sure if running it the maximum of 40 would cause too much strain or be too much of a pull on the 50 amp breaker.

Really just wanting to make sure that everything is normal. This is my first Tesla/EV.
Nope, that is why it is derated to 80% of the breaker size. 40A is totally fine :) If you were doing 48A on a 50A breaker, that is when things would get iffy.

Nope, that is why it is derated to 80% of the breaker size. 40A is totally fine :) If you were doing 48A on a 50A breaker, that is when things would get iffy.
Awesome, good to know! It has only ever run at 48A once, and that was the first day I got it. I realize the next day it was a 50A breaker and not a 60A breaker, so I turned it down. I’ll put it back on 40A.

From what it sounds like, it is normal and within spec for the Faceplate to be pretty warm during and right after long charges, especially if the charger is in a hot climate and a garage. I’m probably being overly paranoid/cautious.