Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 wall connector install issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a BMW wall charger before. Last week I had a gen 3 charger installed.
It charges fine for a bit and then the unit starts blinking red light three times and the charging drops to 20amps. When I press the button on the charging handle it resets itself and goes back to 40 amps. I use a 50 amp fuse on the circuit breaker. Any ideas? TIA

If you were to read the manual you’d discover that 3 red blinks is an overheating condition.

Check for heat at the handle or the glass plate on the wall unit. Verify you have properly terminated and torqued the conductors, that they are the appropriate size for the amperage setting, etc.

Reactions: CrazyRabbit
If you were to read the manual you’d discover that 3 red blinks is an overheating condition.

Check for heat at the handle or the glass plate on the wall unit. Verify you have properly terminated and torqued the conductors, that they are the appropriate size for the amperage setting, etc.
Folks need to use yep the correct size and type wiring

6ga copper wire? Aluminum wire? Though I doubt most people have an inch ounce range torque wrench or nut driver, loose (or incorrectly torqued) screws have been known to causes overheating issues/ fires.
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...ng/Gen3_WallConnector_Installation_Manual.pdf says 5.6Nm of torque.

Is there any chance that something has gotten into the charger itself (e.g. insects, mice,...) that might be causing a cooling issue?

There is also the possibility that the charger is defective.

All the best,

BG