Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 wall connector power sharing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

a1machinista1

MY5 5/24 wh/blk 19" tow-- MSLR 6/1 MSM/blk 19"
Apr 12, 2019
oregon
We have an electrician coming so this is not a "how do I" thread, It's more for me. I THINK the electrician is going to run a sub panel off of an existing sub panel. The breaker in the existing will be 60a with a run to two 60a breakers in the new sub panel. Those will feed our new wall connectors. If power sharing is not yet enabled between gen 3 connectors then how will this work? I am assuming that both cars can not charge at the full rate since they both share 60a. Will the cars self regulate to not overload the single 60a supply in the first sub panel?

We have an electrician coming so this is not a "how do I" thread, It's more for me. I THINK the electrician is going to run a sub panel off of an existing sub panel. The breaker in the existing will be 60a with a run to two 60a breakers in the new sub panel. Those will feed our new wall connectors. If power sharing is not yet enabled between gen 3 connectors then how will this work? I am assuming that both cars can not charge at the full rate since they both share 60a. Will the cars self regulate to not overload the single 60a supply in the first sub panel?
Without power sharing, you can only set each HPWC as if it has a 30 amp breaker, or opt to only use one connector at a time.

The good news is that power sharing is now supported on Gen3 HPWC's.

The cars won't self regulate at all. They only know what the HPWC tells them they can have, current wise.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Acps110 and Rocky_H
Oh!!! I was under the impression that the power sharing update had not yet been released. Well that answers my question. Ok let's say that power sharing was not yet enabled, would it be possible to (split) the feed to 40a/20a or would it have to be 30a/30a?

Oh!!! I was under the impression that the power sharing update had not yet been released. Well that answers my question. Ok let's say that power sharing was not yet enabled, would it be possible to (split) the feed to 40a/20a or would it have to be 30a/30a?
It could be 40/20, or maybe even 50/15 without tripping the breaker.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
So we had the install done today. Totally different then what I was expecting.

Attachments

• A28D8512-1B3A-4F9B-9DDD-86ACC777B18C.jpeg
    A28D8512-1B3A-4F9B-9DDD-86ACC777B18C.jpeg
    346 KB · Views: 532
Without power sharing, you can only set each HPWC as if it has a 30 amp breaker, or opt to only use one connector at a time.

The good news is that power sharing is now supported on Gen3 HPWC's.

The cars won't self regulate at all. They only know what the HPWC tells them they can have, current wise.
Power sharing support with Gen3 HPWC is great news. Question… I park 2 Model 3s in my garage, which also has the main electrical panel for the house. The panel has a single 60A breaker that was intended to feed 2 Gen2s by way of a junction box that would send power to each one, that would also be connected by a data cable. Tesla’s demise of the Gen2 WC caused me to change direction. I now have two Gen3 HPWC units ready for a power sharing installation, but existing wiring is still set up for Gen2 power sharing.

I assume That I should remove the junction box and install a sub-panel instead, with two 60A breakers, each sending power to one of the Gen3 WCs To be installed. Once the Gen3s are connected by WiFi and using the power sharing feature, I assume power to the Gen3s will be limited to 60A total. I would be very grateful for confirmation that this is what my electrician will need to do to set up power sharing with my 2 Gen3 WC units. Any clarification would be great! Thx!

Reactions: Rocky_H and brkaus
I assume That I should remove the junction box and install a sub-panel instead, with two 60A breakers, each sending power to one of the Gen3 WCs To be installed. Once the Gen3s are connected by WiFi and using the power sharing feature, I assume power to the Gen3s will be limited to 60A total. I would be very grateful for confirmation that this is what my electrician will need to do to set up power sharing with my 2 Gen3 WC units. Any clarification would be great! Thx!
Yes, that's how its supposed to be done.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Power sharing support with Gen3 HPWC is great news. Question… I park 2 Model 3s in my garage, which also has the main electrical panel for the house. The panel has a single 60A breaker that was intended to feed 2 Gen2s by way of a junction box that would send power to each one, that would also be connected by a data cable. Tesla’s demise of the Gen2 WC caused me to change direction. I now have two Gen3 HPWC units ready for a power sharing installation, but existing wiring is still set up for Gen2 power sharing.

That was my understanding going into our installation. The manual states that each connector needs its own circuit. BUT it also shows hook up without a sub panel. Our electricians employee hooked up our two Gen3s via junction box WITHOUT individual breakers. There have been statements made both in favor and against how our electrician installed these. Luckily we don't have either of our cars yet so we have time to figure it out. I would say talk it through with your electrician and don't be afraid to ask questions. Our electrician who we have used for multiple projects was very open to the discussion I had with him. Remember this is all new technology that everyone is incorporating into our lives and that some electricians are still learning about. The owner and the electrician are coming over tomorrow and we are going to discuss the installation.