Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Wall Connector pulling 105 Amps?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update for those interested... this morning's electrician came out, pulled the panel off, and immediately spotted that the inbound line (service --> board 1 --> this board, board 2) was not tightened and arcing under high load. Nothing to do with the HWPC at all beyond the fact that 40A load got the terminal hot enough to smoke. Unbelievable that the guy yesterday missed it.

Sure explains the smoke. Oh, and the service line to the HWPC was at a comfy 42A when the car was set to 40A. The dinosaur I got yesterday might be ready for retirement...

The munro video does a good job of highlighting the need to ensure everything in the charging pathway is rated for high duty cycle. Wiring, breakers, and junction connections need to be up to providing hours of the rated amperage and a lot of what's out there is meant for short-medium duty cycle like clothes dryers, etc.

Reactions: Big Earl and BertJ
my brand new install went through two breakers in two weeks. Got hot and tripped. 3rd was a charm and no issues since. The install was in 2017.

Electrician came by today to replace the breaker. Old breaker was literally burnt/melted on the back of it on one of the poles (yikes). Electrician said he had never seen anything like that before.

After install of new breaker, things look okay and was able to charge the car for an hour with no issue so cautiously optimistic. Will keep an eye on it for a while.

Electrician came by today to replace the breaker. Old breaker was literally burnt/melted on the back of it on one of the poles (yikes). Electrician said he had never seen anything like that before.

After install of new breaker, things look okay and was able to charge the car for an hour with no issue so cautiously optimistic. Will keep an eye on it for a while.
We had a panel that had a stab (or whatever you call it) melt because of arching to the breaker. The melted metal dropped down to the next stab on the other phase, shorted, and exploded. Melted most of the bus bar and sent molten metal blobs into the garage. Melted spots into the windows of a car parked close.

Update for those interested... this morning's electrician came out, pulled the panel off, and immediately spotted that the inbound line (service --> board 1 --> this board, board 2) was not tightened and arcing under high load. Nothing to do with the HWPC at all beyond the fact that 40A load got the terminal hot enough to smoke. Unbelievable that the guy yesterday missed it.

Sure explains the smoke. Oh, and the service line to the HWPC was at a comfy 42A when the car was set to 40A. The dinosaur I got yesterday might be ready for retirement...
#1 cause of overheating in charging circuits - loose lugs / connections. People either fail to torque the lugs to the equipment properly and they loosen up after a few heat cycles, or they fail to properly insert the wire into the lug and it still loosens up.
#2 cause of overheating - equipment that isn't designed to handle 80% of their rated value for hours.

This is not an uncommon failure as well - I'm surprised the electrician hadn't seen it before. All it takes is an older breaker and/or breaker box with a bit of corrosion on the busbar and some higher currents. For this reason, a bit of dielectric grease on the breaker contacts and lugs is not a bad idea.

Most electrical equipment in your typical house doesn't see the loads that a EV generates - air conditions or heat pumps are probably closest. Everything else generally cycles on/off pretty frequently that the average duty cycle isn't that high.

Reactions: Big Earl and BertJ

What amp setting were charging at on the old breaker?

This is not an uncommon failure as well - I'm surprised the electrician hadn't seen it before. All it takes is an older breaker and/or breaker box with a bit of corrosion on the busbar and some higher currents. For this reason, a bit of dielectric grease on the breaker contacts and lugs is not a bad idea.

Breaker was new when installed last year (2021) when wall connector was installed. Breaker box is only 10 years old (house built in 2011). It appears to have just been a defective breaker that wasn't able to properly handle the load.

What amp setting were charging at on the old breaker?

50A circuit w/wall charger set to 40A. All wiring, etc... rated to code to handle EV charging (read: constant) loads.

I talked to Tesla as @DerbyDave kindly suggested - they think it's a ground fault (high temp at terminals). I coincidentally had a mobile tech out today and he thinks the unit's probably faulty given sudden failure, but I'm getting (another) electrician to come check the boxes for tesla so I can get it warrantied out. Talk about a PITA... my last wall charger went for three years without one single tiny modicum of issues...

The charger would not charge if there was a ground fault. It's pretty smart about that.

Especially since that's the FIRST thing you check.

The munro video does a good job of highlighting the need to ensure everything in the charging pathway is rated for high duty cycle. Wiring, breakers, and junction connections need to be up to providing hours of the rated amperage and a lot of what's out there is meant for short-medium duty cycle like clothes dryers, etc.
The specs of the breakers and junctions boxes actually requires them to sustain 80% load indefinitely. Perhaps some manufacturers produce crap and have been getting away with it at low duty cycles, and that's being exposed by EV charging. That said, I come from long line of electrical engineers and electricians (both my parents, one grandparent. aunts and uncles) and I've seen and heard of my share of meltdown failures (including some which would never happen at home, having to do with very high voltage lines), Yes, equipment does fail from time to time - no equipment is perfect, More often than not however, it's an installation issue such as not torqueing the connections as they should be, or doing stupid things like using aluminum wires connected directly to a breaker without an adapter for example, or even a damaged cable (perhaps damages before the installation, someone drove over it with a forklift at the warehouse).

• Informative
Reactions: Thp3
The specs of the breakers and junctions boxes actually requires them to sustain 80% load indefinitely. Perhaps some manufacturers produce crap and have been getting away with it at low duty cycles, and that's being exposed by EV charging. That said, I come from long line of electrical engineers and electricians (both my parents, one grandparent. aunts and uncles) and I've seen and heard of my share of meltdown failures (including some which would never happen at home, having to do with very high voltage lines), Yes, equipment does fail from time to time - no equipment is perfect, More often than not however, it's an installation issue such as not torqueing the connections as they should be, or doing stupid things like using aluminum wires connected directly to a breaker without an adapter for example, or even a damaged cable (perhaps damages before the installation, someone drove over it with a forklift at the warehouse).

I won't guess at ratio of sub-par equipment vs sub-par installation. I do think we'll see a correlation of sub-par installations also using sub-par equipment.

I'm not sure 105A going through a 50A breaker would actually trip it

I think it might be something more like this:

1669384916277.png

1669384956017.png

1669384980422.png

...and no, this has nothing to do with my or anyone else's EV