Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Wall Connector pulling 105 Amps?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: zoomer0056
I had the same question for my electrician (reputable company that’s done work for me before). His response was - shrug, they don’t trip immediately. He also replaced the breaker and found the same overage.

Could his amp meter be wrong, sure. But the burning smell lends credence to something going awry.

I’m just really confused at this point so if the answer is “send another electrician out” that’s fine.

At 100 amps the breaker is going to trip in under 15 minutes, even if you live in an igloo.

But if we assume he is correct, then you have a few options as to where the power could be going. The most likely option is that the circuit to the EVSE is not actually dedicated and was tapped off an AC or something else. There is also a possibility that there is a nail or something that has damaged the wiring to the evse and there is high resistance current flow at that spot. That would be rare.

Did he check the voltage at the panel and at the evse? Maybe he was reading 105v which would indicate a different problem.

Reactions: BuffaloMS