Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Wall Connector Wifi issue

rrolsbe

Feb 18, 2017
Albuquerque
See my previous posts in this thread for the history. I received the replacement Wall Connector and found it had the same problem; however, i found out that if the WiFi that successfully provisioned the unit on the first configuration attempt is turned OFF allows connection to the WC local configuration SSID again and enables the button on the wand. This does not fix the problem but it does allow access to WC local WiFi SSID again. The problem seems to be a timing problem with the DHCP handshake protocol between my router and the Gen 3 WC and not signal level etc. In the failed mode the WC appears to ask for an IP address as the lease time is reset on the router but the status shown is offline. My Linksys Model WRT3200ACM router has worked with every WiFi device used to date except for this WC. The router has the latest manufacture supplied firmware installed that it had when I purchased it 3 years ago. Tesla indicated a later firmware update would hopefully fix this problem. In my opinion, the WC should never get in a state where local access is not possible. Fortunately, I decided to try turning off the 2.4G radio on my router or the problem would still exist.

Hope this information helps someone!
Regards, Ron

Sorry, an update though I had already done so. I connected the WC to my a network extender/bridge and it has worked flawlessly since. I found a Roku model that seems to have a similar DHCP issue. Wish my fairly high end router would let me age out DHCP leases instead of requiring a factory reset. Most of my previous routers had that feature.

TBrownTX

Dec 25, 2020
Dallas, TX
THANK YOU! You just solved my problem. I have three second gen Eero Pro's and my Wall Charger would connect and then disconnect over and over again. Disabled WPA3 and it connected flawlessly.

Excellent! Mine has been rock solid since I installed on Tuesday. The dual bands or multiple access points do not seem to cause any issues at all. Hopefully they'll fix the WPA3 authentication (either Eero or Tesla) before it makes it out of Beta.

Tim

Reactions: hcdavis3 and HotIce

ry_henri

Mar 19, 2021
US
I have an Eero network, and was unable to join WiFi until I disabled WPA3. Once disabled (via the discover, Eero Labs tab) it joined straight away. I did not need to disable or adjust any other settings.

Tim
I have an eero at home, and disabling WPA3 resolved the wifi issue for me as well.

TBrownTX

Dec 25, 2020
Dallas, TX
I have an eero at home, and disabling WPA3 resolved the wifi issue for me as well.

Also no issues connecting my new Tesla via the Eero Pro 6. Firmware updates have been successful on both the Wall Connector and Tesla Model 3. I have not tried re-enabling WPA3 however, may do this at some future point to see how it plays out.

Tim

NOLA_Mike

Grouchy
May 11, 2013
Hammond, LA
Thanks for tips - installed a Gen 3 Wall Connector today and could not get it connected to the internet until I turned off WPA3 in my Asus Router. As an aside, it did connect to my WiFi just had no internet connectivity until I disabled WPA3.

Mike

Reactions: TBrownTX

TBrownTX

Dec 25, 2020
Dallas, TX
Thanks for tips - installed a Gen 3 Wall Connector today and could not get it connected to the internet until I turned off WPA3 in my Asus Router. As an aside, it did connect to my WiFi just had no internet connectivity until I disabled WPA3.

Mike

Sounds like we need to Tweet Elon to report? 😉

Tim

pedror

Dec 11, 2019
Guelph ON
Same goes for me with Google Wifi - will not connect with WPA3 security toggled on. It is supposed to be backward-compatible with WPA2 so I think Tesla needs a fix.

Reactions: TBrownTX

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC