Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Wall Connector Wifi issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
See my previous posts in this thread for the history. I received the replacement Wall Connector and found it had the same problem; however, i found out that if the WiFi that successfully provisioned the unit on the first configuration attempt is turned OFF allows connection to the WC local configuration SSID again and enables the button on the wand. This does not fix the problem but it does allow access to WC local WiFi SSID again. The problem seems to be a timing problem with the DHCP handshake protocol between my router and the Gen 3 WC and not signal level etc. In the failed mode the WC appears to ask for an IP address as the lease time is reset on the router but the status shown is offline. My Linksys Model WRT3200ACM router has worked with every WiFi device used to date except for this WC. The router has the latest manufacture supplied firmware installed that it had when I purchased it 3 years ago. Tesla indicated a later firmware update would hopefully fix this problem. In my opinion, the WC should never get in a state where local access is not possible. Fortunately, I decided to try turning off the 2.4G radio on my router or the problem would still exist.

Hope this information helps someone!
Regards, Ron

Sorry, an update though I had already done so. I connected the WC to my a network extender/bridge and it has worked flawlessly since. I found a Roku model that seems to have a similar DHCP issue. Wish my fairly high end router would let me age out DHCP leases instead of requiring a factory reset. Most of my previous routers had that feature.

THANK YOU! You just solved my problem. I have three second gen Eero Pro's and my Wall Charger would connect and then disconnect over and over again. Disabled WPA3 and it connected flawlessly.

Excellent! Mine has been rock solid since I installed on Tuesday. The dual bands or multiple access points do not seem to cause any issues at all. Hopefully they'll fix the WPA3 authentication (either Eero or Tesla) before it makes it out of Beta.

Tim

Reactions: hcdavis3 and HotIce
I have an Eero network, and was unable to join WiFi until I disabled WPA3. Once disabled (via the discover, Eero Labs tab) it joined straight away. I did not need to disable or adjust any other settings.

Tim
I have an eero at home, and disabling WPA3 resolved the wifi issue for me as well.

I had to disable WPA3 (or set up a guest network without WPA3 enabled) on my router in order to get the Gen 3 Wall Connector to connect. I had originally had the router configured for WPA2/3.
Thank you cdubois your post solved my issue (disabling the WPA3) and thank you also to TBrownTX for the post on how Eero setting to disable WPA3. I am a new Tesla owner as of last week (week of July 5th 2021) and today (July 12th) I had my electrician install my Wall Charger Gen 3 // I am also new to the TMC... thanks to the TMC Community and this forum and am now fully operational with my Wall Charger. THANK YOU!

Reactions: TBrownTX
I’m having the issue where the internal SSID isn’t being broadcast and my Gen3 charger is stuck at 6A (that’s what car is showing). Tried turning off the router where I had initially configured the wall connector. Even power cycled the wall connector multiple times. But no-go. The internal SSID doesn’t broadcast at all.

is there a way to hard reset the device?

Hello, I have the same problem. My wall connector doesn't broadcast the SSID at all. Did you somehow manage to solve it?