Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 wall connector will not connect to wi-fi, how do I make sure the current is set correctly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a new member and this is my first post.

I have a Model 3 on order for January delivery and I have just installed a Gen 3 Wall Connector. In an Android device's WiFi Settings I found the SSID and entered the password, It replied "Connected with no Internet access".

Then I tried to commission the Wall Connector by loading 192.168.92.1 in Chrome on an Android device. 192.168.92.1 never loaded. I get this same result on two Android devices.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Just installed one this past week and used my GS21 phone to commission...had no issues. The only thing that was weird of sorts was after going through all the settings, there was no "done" button or anything, so the lights on the charger didn't read normal until the 10 minutes had passed.

If memory serves you do not set the amperage in the WC, you tell it the size of the circuit breaker, yes that determines the output amperage max, but by telling the WC that you have a 60 amp breaker, I believe the output limit is 48 amps. You can tell the set CB size by the number of green lights, that’s in the manual, mine was defaulted to a 60 amp breaker

Electrical code requires a breaker that has a higher rating than the load will be.

So telling the WC the size of the breaker sets the max current the WC can supply, but the car determines the max current that it can pull.
For instance I have an SR+ which can only pull 32 amps but I installed my WC with a 60 amp breaker, so even though it could supply 48 amps there won’t ever be more than a 32 amp load unless I plug in a car with a bigger battery.

After installing my wall connector, I could connect my phone to the WC's network, but it just showed a picture of the WC with a spinning wheel. This was on an iphone using Safari. After several attempts, I switched over to Chrome on the phone. Same thing, but if I refreshed the page, I'd see the necessary fields flash for a split-second before it going back to the spinning wheel.

I kept refreshing and at one point is finally showed the page with the info I needed to fill out. From there, I was able to point it to my real wifi and fill out the other info. The key was to keep refreshing the WC's page until it finally took hold.

I'm a new member and this is my first post.

I have a Model 3 on order for January delivery and I have just installed a Gen 3 Wall Connector. In an Android device's WiFi Settings I found the SSID and entered the password, It replied "Connected with no Internet access".

Then I tried to commission the Wall Connector by loading 192.168.92.1 in Chrome on an Android device. 192.168.92.1 never loaded. I get this same result on two Android devices.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Try 192.168.92.1/Wi-Fi
That will allow you to connect your home internet
once that is completed
Try 192.168.93.1/installation
From hear you can change your settings to 50A

Step 1. Turn on charger and have it broadcast a Wifi signal for 5 minutes.
Step 2. Scan QR code so your phone has the connection information and password for the charger's Wifi
Step 3. Scan second QR code for link to internet site that will read the information from your charger.
Step 3b. If if the internet site doesn't work (AND IT DOESN'T), change the address to http://192.168.92.1 /wifi link. Oh. NOW it works!
Finally! Now that your phone sees your charger and is able to interact with it, you're supposed to be able to connect it to your home's wifi, but only if your router is broadcasting at 2.4 Ghz. If you're savvy enough, you can change this yourself. If you're lucky, your router is already broadcasting an account at this frequency. It doesn't matter. The stupid charger won't see it anyway.
Step 4. You should be able to go to the charger webpage, select wifi, and change the connection to your home's internet. Hahahaha!! It doesn't work! I told you! You've disconnected from the charger's wifi by selecting your home's wifi.
Step 5. Now that nothing works, you can still update the firmware on your charger by connecting to its wifi and going to HTTP://192.168.92.1/update.
NOPE!! 404. Hahahahaha! That doesn't work either!!
Step 6. You've been punked by Tesla and Elon Musk, because none of this works. It was just a fool's errand to make you believe you were buying something that actually did what is was supposed to. Maybe you should have paid attention to those Tesla reviews?

Hi,
I am sorry in advance if I sound confused and clueless but I have hit a brick wall trying to connect my Gen 3 to wi-fi since the electrician installed the wall connector yesterday. My phone recognizes the wall connector but I am unable to enter a password for my home wi-fi to connect the wi-fi to complete the set up. I get "unable to connect" error messages My wi-fi is set to 2.4 GHz. I called my Tesla "advisor" (have had this car for less than 2 weeks) and she told me to go ahead and charge the car and try again the next day. I am happy to know the charger works fine but my main concern is that I am unable to check that the current is set to 50 amps? This is what the electrician relayed to me and I am not sure if that is an issue. The Tesla rep said that it is no big deal if the wall charger is not on wi-fi if the car is connected to wi-fi which it is but didn't mention the current setting.
I apologize if this question has been asked/answered before. I see similar questions but not the exact one I am struggling with. I am not a tech person but I already love this car and saved years for it to buy after I retired. You're only old once!
The exact root cause for Tesla Wall Connector unable to connect to wi-fi or 'wi-fi: Not Connected error' is,
#1: your home wi-fi network should be 2.4GHz
#2: the authentication level must not be WPA3 or WPA/WPA3 (it must be below WPA2 or below).
As Tesla Wall Connector doesn't support WPA3 authentication. Solution is, either change your current wi-fi network authentication level or create a guest network with WPA or WPA2 on your router using the http:/192.1xx.xx.x page. This resolved my wi-fi connection issue. Hope this helps someone.